Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 AM

20,720 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I asked a simple question no need for snarky remarks. Do you suppose Jesus who was a Jew spoke Spanish?
Absolutely. We are talking about religion here.

P.S. There is a need because my real faith is boredom killing.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:31 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
What's to say that a culture can't change?

What are you afraid of?
Better question is what are hispanics afraid of, that they refuse to assimilate here? They leave everything behind in their countries to come here & be hostile.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I don't hear you complaining about the unnatural takeover of the United States when European settlers basically systematically exterminated the American Indian population and took their land.

Everything changes with time. Get over it. This nation is going to become increasingly culturally and racially diverse. There really isn't a damn thing you can do about it.
That was in the past & we see how that worked out.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
The children of immigrants invariably use English as their first language, the facts and history show this. By the postings in this thread it seems like people expect every immigrant to exclusively speak English in public as soon as they step foot in the US, nevermind that many come to this country at a stage in their lives where learning languages is difficult and/or live in neighborhoods with other immigrants where they can speak their native language. I grew up in Miami, in an area that is as Spanish speaking as any in the US, and every Hispanic who who grew up in the US spoke and preferred English.

Immigration from Latin America was and is inevitable in the US, pull out a map of the world and see which hemisphere the US is located in. Spanish will continue to be spoken in this country, but the idea that it will somehow overtake English throughout the country is paranoid and short-sighted. English will remain the predominant language.
Have you read the article? It states even 3rd generation hispanics are refusing to assimilate.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
The children of immigrants invariably use English as their first language, the facts and history show this. By the postings in this thread it seems like people expect every immigrant to exclusively speak English in public as soon as they step foot in the US, nevermind that many come to this country at a stage in their lives where learning languages is difficult and/or live in neighborhoods with other immigrants where they can speak their native language. I grew up in Miami, in an area that is as Spanish speaking as any in the US, and every Hispanic who who grew up in the US spoke and preferred English.

Immigration from Latin America was and is inevitable in the US, pull out a map of the world and see which hemisphere the US is located in. Spanish will continue to be spoken in this country, but the idea that it will somehow overtake English throughout the country is paranoid and short-sighted. English will remain the predominant language.
This wave of so-called "immigrants" is unlike any other in the past. Hispanics from mostly Mexico are here both legally and illegally in by far the largest numbers. That does not attribute to assimilation.

Why is it that Miami is mostly a Spanish speaking city still today?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that YOU personally hate President Obama based on his race but there are plenty of people that do.
And most who don't but the propaganda and race card pulling still doesn't stop, does it?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
What's to say that a culture can't change?

What are you afraid of?
Let me ask you this and please answer the question this time. Would Mexicans in Mexico welcome a demographic and cultural change via massive illegal immigration from China? Would China welcome the same from an illegal invasion from Germany? Would the French welcome the same from an illegal invasion from Japan? And so on and so on. You get my drift, don't you?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I don't hear you complaining about the unnatural takeover of the United States when European settlers basically systematically exterminated the American Indian population and took their land.

Everything changes with time. Get over it. This nation is going to become increasingly culturally and racially diverse. There really isn't a damn thing you can do about it.
Those early Europeans are all dead now. They aren't me and I'm not them. So how can I complain about a past I wasn't even a part of? Just like the native indians who couldn't hold their ground against them we don't want history repeating itself by not holding our ground against illegal immigration (not that there were any immigration laws back then anyways).

No, you get over your notion that our country has no right to control our borders and immigration! This country has always been racially diverse that isn't the issue. The issue is losing our identifying culture and language to an illegal invasion. There is a damned thing we can do about it and you are going to see it happen right before your eyes. I wouldn't want to be on the anti-American side of this issue when it happens.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
What is "American Culture" go ahead and define it?

You living in "Your Own Private Idaho" in terms of dreaming of some idyllic America that only existed on a television screen or a Frank Capra movie. In the mid 1800s nativists and "No Nothings" discriminated against and were violent toward Irish, German and other immigrant groups. From the late 1800s to the mid 20th century Italians, Jews, Poles, Greeks, and other European immigrant groups were uniformly discriminated against in terms of jobs, and housing and in other ways. Why do you think so many European immigrant families changed their last name when they got to America? Many changed their last name so they wouldn't face outright discrimination as soon as they introduced themselves. And for years it was considered "Beneath Oneself" for a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant to marry an Italian, a Jew, a Greek, or an Irish person. For some this still holds true, especially among upper income White Anglo-Saxon Protestants.

Look at what happened in Chicago during Prohibition. All of the gangs that ran the bootleg liquor trade WHERE SEPARATED BY ETHNICITY. Even today you have the old ethnic Jewish, Italian, and Irish ethnic enclaves in cities like New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia etc. Why do you think so many cities have a Chinatown? When these people arrived in America they were not assimilated they were segregated.

But America saves its harshest forms of segregation and balkanization for non-White people. Contrary to your assertion it wasn't just in the South that non-Whites faced segregation and discrimination for example:

Chinese Exclusion Act

South Texas town abolishes 1931 anti-Hispanic segregation law
Still living in the past I see. I suggest some counseling.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 AM

160 posts, read 311,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This wave of so-called "immigrants" is unlike any other in the past. Hispanics from mostly Mexico are here both legally and illegally in by far the largest numbers. That does not attribute to assimilation.

Why is it that Miami is mostly a Spanish speaking city still today?
Hispanics who only speak Spanish are a minority and will remain so, as I've said before Hispanics who grew up in the US speak English. The large wave of Latin immigration has increased the numbers of 1st generation immigrants compared to previous immigration waves but the "assimilation" of their children into the US mainstream continues in the same manner as before. Spanish is here to stay in this country, the US' location in the Western Hemisphere and globalization made it inevitable, if the US bordered China we'd hear the same complaints from people like you about the Chinese. Illegal immigration is a serious issue, no doubt about it, I just don't believe as you do that our "national identity & culture" is somehow threatened.

I'd argue that Miami is mostly Spanish speaking, I'd say it's mostly bilingual with only certain areas where Spanish predominates. Miami had a unique immigration history (Cubans were welcomed en masse into the country as political exiles) and it continues to receive new immigrants constantly from throughout Latin America including the wealthy who speak the language the US understands best - money, it can't be compared to other places really. And a large portion of its economy depends on Latin American business so Spanish and bilingualism is emphasized and promoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies