Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
He was basically stating that other jobs hold just as much a possibility for losing your life as a policemans, but that those jobs recieve no benediction from the general public.

You pretty much ignored that and stated that people ordering pizza were criminals and that everyone else were victims.
Perhaps you missed the section of his comment I bolded, which was what I responded to.

Quote:
Ok...so saying someone needs to reread a post so they can respond more "intelligently" in a snarky tone isn't a personal attack on said persons intelligence ?
Only if your skin is thin. It was not intended as a personal attack. If that was your impression, please accept my sincere apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Ok..truce. There is admittedly a lot of misunderstandings on these boards. All message boards actually :-)

Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Ok..truce. There is admittedly a lot of misunderstandings on these boards. All message boards actually :-)
Absolutely! We often do not realize how others will interpret our comments. Thanks for allowing civility to prevail.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! We often do not realize how others will interpret our comments. Thanks for allowing civility to prevail.
Oh you bet...I'm always for peaceful resolution whenever possible

Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM

168 posts, read 142,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, if you're a criminal, and not an innocent victim of a rapist or other miscreant.
Yeah. Cops showed up to my house after multiple reports of doesmestic abuse, and they never did anything.

I don't like cops showing up to my door at all, at least not in uniform. They either bring bad news, or they think you did something.

Not saying I don't respect the ones who actually do their jobs, like one of the local resource officers for the high-school, but acting like all cops deserve to be praised like the sun shines out of their ass rubs me the wrong way.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 PM

41 posts, read 45,367 times
Boo freaking hoo. The cops have it so tough, it's too bad they don't get paid...wait...

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Where's the praise for the firefighters, coal miners, oil rig workers etc? They put their lives on the line everyday too. Cops wouldn't even be able to do their jobs if it weren't for those guys.

Cops are people just like everyone else. No need to give them sacred cow status.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimzer View Post
Yeah. Cops showed up to my house after multiple reports of doesmestic abuse, and they never did anything.

I don't like cops showing up to my door at all, at least not in uniform. They either bring bad news, or they think you did something.

Not saying I don't respect the ones who actually do their jobs, like one of the local resource officers for the high-school, but acting like all cops deserve to be praised like the sun shines out of their ass rubs me the wrong way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Where's the praise for the firefighters, coal miners, oil rig workers etc? They put their lives on the line everyday too. Cops wouldn't even be able to do their jobs if it weren't for those guys.

Cops are people just like everyone else. No need to give them sacred cow status.
It has already been acknowledged that some cops are good, while others are bad, as is the case with any profession. And, no one has implied that cops are deserving of sainthood or sacred cow status. I believe the intent of the OP was to simply honor those deserving of such. This thread could have been used as a springboard to post something positive about other professions -- such as firefighters, coal miners, oil rig workers, etc. Sadly, it only served as a hate-fest.

In any case, I'm through with this thread. Hate to your heart's desire.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
To Wynternight, as a retired Deputy Sheriff I appreciate what you said. I also learned long ago not to bother arguing with all the cop haters on public forums.

Hate to quote myself but I told you Wynternight how this would go.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
He was basically stating that other jobs hold just as much a possibility for losing your life as a policemans, but that those jobs recieve no benediction from the general public.

You pretty much ignored that and stated that people ordering pizza were criminals and that everyone else were victims.
I've worked in both law enforcement and the restaurant business. Both are difficult and under-appreciated jobs.

Having said that I'm at an absolute loss as to why you seem determined to turn this thread into a pissing contest. Cooking for a living is rough, folks that haven't done it have little idea of the challenges it presents. Returning to reality, wearing body armor to better your chances of coming home after work was never even a remote consideration in a professional kitchen.

I'll be the first one to give you mountains of respect for having the grit to pursue your chosen profession. Returning to reality, difficult as a professional kitchen can be you're not expected to run toward the sound of gunfire. You're equally unlikely to spend your day at a line of duty related funeral following a sleepless night spent trying to think of something to say to ease the pain of a grieving widow.

There are a number of jobs that are dangerous. Very few of those jobs require accepting that level of danger while trying to protect others.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but based on your posts I'm of the impression you're still in culinary school. How much experience have you had in the deadly restaurant business?

Why not take pride and satisfaction in your efforts within your chosen profession without attempting to demean the efforts and sacrifices of others?

Last edited by outbacknv; 04-18-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies