Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No. In my first post on this subject I made that perfectly clear so please, no strawman arguments.

Obviously, you have a problem with cops that no amount of persuasion from me or anyone else is going to change. So, lets agree to disagree, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There's 2 extremes. We have, on the one hand, the people that praise the police as an angelic force sent down from heaven to save us from peril. On the other hand, there are people who think the cops are here to oppress us. The truth is somewhere in the middle. My conclusion is, the cops are like the servers in a restaurant. You complain and yell at the server because the food you ordered wasn't to your liking. What do you expect her to do? She's just a server. You need to go to the manager who straightens out the cook. The cops just do as they are told, the ones who are truly corrupt are the chiefs of police, the sheriff, and ultimately, the local, state, and federal politicians who write the laws they want enforced.

Absolutely!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
My personal take on police officers. I support them 100%. But when they screw up they have to be held accountable. And when they break the law or abuse their position or try to cover up misdeeds, then they have to be dealt with as severely as possible with the maxiumum possible toughest punishments.
They have a tough job. In many places they deal wth absolute human vermin and are constantly on edge and in fear for their lives. Some don't have the support of their own communities. So the stress involved will burn some out quicker than others. Really I don't think many officers should do the job for more than 10 years without undergoing major evaluations to see if they're still fit to do the job. And let them retire with a partial pension if not. Fellow police should help weed out the unfit or at risk officers. There's ways to do this. If a police officer does something to have a settlement or a lawsuit brought against the department or community, you take the money directly out of the police pension fund. When current and former police officers see a huge chunk being taken out of their retirement benefits, they'll take making sure their fellow officers are fit very seriously and help identify potential problem officers.
If they go off on an average citizen who maybe misunderstands a command or says the wrong thing, the police have to take their punishment if they get out of line and over react. Beating a criminal senseless may or may not be justified, but you better be able to prove it was necessary. And if some person with a clean record gets abused by an officer, if his case has merit, the officer should be kicked off the force immediately.
I just saw the " Justice For Cisco" case where the Austin cop went to the wrong house with gun drawn and shot and killed an innocent mans dog. I think it was an honest screw up, he had a lapse of judgement and was just not responding properly. What do you do? He clearly screwed up and I think he felt badly about it. I'd say just make him pay the dogs replacement cost, make an apology and retake some training courses with an evaluation based on prior work history. If his record was clean, that should be enough. If there were other incidents, maybe he should be denied a renewal of his services.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
A cop who enforces corrupt laws is also corrupt. With that in mind there are no good cops.
The above is one of the most inane things I have ever read. Police Officer's do not have the luxury of deciding which laws to enforce and which not to, unless they no longer want their jobs. They are required by their job to enforce all laws equally.

Just because YOU think some of the laws are corrupt, doesn't make them so.

BTW, when you car is stolen, or your home broken in to, who are you going to call? Mommy?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I've worked in both law enforcement and the restaurant business. Both are difficult and under-appreciated jobs.

Having said that I'm at an absolute loss as to why you seem determined to turn this thread into a pissing contest. Cooking for a living is rough, folks that haven't done it have little idea of the challenges it presents. Returning to reality, wearing body armor to better your chances of coming home after work was never even a remote consideration in a professional kitchen.

I'll be the first one to give you mountains of respect for having the grit to pursue your chosen profession. Returning to reality, difficult as a professional kitchen can be you're not expected to run toward the sound of gunfire. You're equally unlikely to spend your day at a line of duty related funeral following a sleepless night spent trying to think of something to say to ease the pain of a grieving widow.

There are a number of jobs that are dangerous. Very few of those jobs require accepting that level of danger while trying to protect others.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but based on your posts I'm of the impression you're still in culinary school. How much experience have you had in the deadly restaurant business?

Why not take pride and satisfaction in your efforts within your chosen profession without attempting to demean the efforts and sacrifices of others?
Pissing contest ? WTF ? Did you not read all my posts ? Including the ones where I elaborated on going to work every night in fear at the convenience store and how that affected me ? Or the one where I called a truce with Benicar ?

The point I was trying to make was that it only police officers get accolades for putting their lives on the line but there was no such worship for those in other professions who do the same thing. ESPECIALLY for those working minimum wage jobs. I even stated in my post about the convenience store how I was threatened by a crazy ******* at 3 in the morning and the police didn't think I was important enough to send aid to ("I" meaning a poor working class individual).

Are you incapable of seeing how my experience might color my impression of cops ???

For the record I have graduated from culinary school. But discussions on restaurant kitchens have zero to do with the topic at hand. I wasn't using that atmosphere as an example in this discussion.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Anyone notice how the person who is proven to be wrong never comes back to say "I'm sorry...I was wrong..please accept my apology" ?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Anyone notice how the person who is proven to be wrong never comes back to say "I'm sorry...I was wrong..please accept my apology" ?
the ole skedaddle--it is very common. Your point is correct too. Being a cop is a dangerous job, but by far more dangerous is being a fisherman.

Police: 18 fatalities per 100,000. Fisherman: 116 fatalities per 100,000.

The 15 Most Dangerous Jobs In America - Business Insider

Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
My personal take on police officers. I support them 100%. But when they screw up they have to be held accountable. And when they break the law or abuse their position or try to cover up misdeeds, then they have to be dealt with as severely as possible with the maxiumum possible toughest punishments.
They have a tough job. In many places they deal wth absolute human vermin and are constantly on edge and in fear for their lives. Some don't have the support of their own communities. So the stress involved will burn some out quicker than others. Really I don't think many officers should do the job for more than 10 years without undergoing major evaluations to see if they're still fit to do the job. And let them retire with a partial pension if not. Fellow police should help weed out the unfit or at risk officers. There's ways to do this. If a police officer does something to have a settlement or a lawsuit brought against the department or community, you take the money directly out of the police pension fund. When current and former police officers see a huge chunk being taken out of their retirement benefits, they'll take making sure their fellow officers are fit very seriously and help identify potential problem officers.
If they go off on an average citizen who maybe misunderstands a command or says the wrong thing, the police have to take their punishment if they get out of line and over react. Beating a criminal senseless may or may not be justified, but you better be able to prove it was necessary. And if some person with a clean record gets abused by an officer, if his case has merit, the officer should be kicked off the force immediately.
I just saw the " Justice For Cisco" case where the Austin cop went to the wrong house with gun drawn and shot and killed an innocent mans dog. I think it was an honest screw up, he had a lapse of judgement and was just not responding properly. What do you do? He clearly screwed up and I think he felt badly about it. I'd say just make him pay the dogs replacement cost, make an apology and retake some training courses with an evaluation based on prior work history. If his record was clean, that should be enough. If there were other incidents, maybe he should be denied a renewal of his services.
I thought this was a great post. A very unbiased post.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Get over yourself. Real life sometimes gets in the way of responding to posts on the internet.

How was I proven wrong? The fact that you disagree with me is not proof of anything.

Like I said, take pride in your own accomplishments. You've yet to present a viable reason for attempting to crap all over the efforts, accomplishments, and sacrifices of others. You're apparently unable to grasp the difference between being willing to risk your life in the defense of others and taking risks in pursuit of a buck.

As far as having read your other posts prior to commenting how is that in any way relevant? My remarks were directed toward your quoted post.

The above quoted inane post is a pretty clear indication you don't deal with criticism well and are spoiling for a fight. Look elsewhere for that. I'm unwilling to waste my time engaging in pointless argument with you.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'll give you a little inside scoop...Police officers don't like the above, either. It makes it harder for the rest of us to do the job.
I know many cops, and cops will defend another cop , even a corrupt cop no matter what.

The code of silence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies