Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:14 AM

161 posts, read 211,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How many times is it going to take for it to sink into the liberal mind? People who make 250x your income DO NOT EARN INCOME AND THUS ARE NOT SUBJECT TO INCOME TAX, if any tax at all. You can tax Warren Buffet at 100% income and you still WOULDN'T touch his billions! The Buffet rule was designed to crush aspiring wealthy people from climbing the ladder further, leaving the ultra rich elite an exclusive club. People seriously need to pull their heads out of the sand, and stop reading so much tripe that doesn't make sense
Income:
"Money received, esp. on a regular basis, for work or through investments."

So I guess that the money just magically appears for them then?

Maybe you should stick to England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This year, we hit the 33% marginal tax bracket - alternative minimum tax and all of that. We don't own a home or have kids, so we don't really get to deduct anything.

I'm grateful for our income, and I'm not fundamentally complaining about having to work hard for it and pay my fair share. I know that we're very fortunate.

But why is it fair for my personal share to be up to TWICE the rate of the fair share of people with gargantuan incomes like Romney and Buffett who will never have real financial worries again in their lives? We're doing well, but unlike those guys, we do depend heavily on our cash flow to generate our critical savings for future needs as well as to cover our day-to-day expenses. We get hurt by the loss of that marginal dollar A LOT more than the multi-millionaires and billionaires ever would be.

And why is it "class warfare" whenever I point this out? How is it not "class warfare" for me to be reamed porportionally so much more than the super rich - many of whose enterprises I also have to pay to bail out of their bad business decisions?

I'm not saying that the Buffett rule is the way to go, but why can't we have a tax system that institutes some sense of consistent fairness relative to income all the way across the income spectrum? Why is this concept so fundamentally controversial and anti-American for conservatives?

You are not being taxed at 2 times the rate of people who earn more than you. You do understand the difference between. Capital gains and ordinary income, don't you?

By the way, it becomes class warfare when you describe them as set for life. That is and should be irrelevant to the tax code.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Its a system whereby the more you make the less of a Percentage you pay in Taxes, Consider people like Romney who at $250 Million is paying 13% on his income and the likes of this factory worker paying over 30%, and those on the very bottom get vilified for collecting food stamps and labeled as the cause of all Americas financial woes. Nice system if you happen to be at the top.not so much if you are closer to the bottom.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
This year, we hit the 33% marginal tax bracket - alternative minimum tax and all of that. We don't own a home or have kids, so we don't really get to deduct anything.

I'm grateful for our income, and I'm not fundamentally complaining about having to work hard for it and pay my fair share. I know that we're very fortunate.

But why is it fair for my personal share to be up to TWICE the rate of the fair share of people with gargantuan incomes like Romney and Buffett who will never have real financial worries again in their lives? We're doing well, but unlike those guys, we do depend heavily on our cash flow to generate our critical savings for future needs as well as to cover our day-to-day expenses. We get hurt by the loss of that marginal dollar A LOT more than the multi-millionaires and billionaires ever would be.

And why is it "class warfare" whenever I point this out? How is it not "class warfare" for me to be reamed porportionally so much more than the super rich - many of whose enterprises I also have to pay to bail out of their bad business decisions?

I'm not saying that the Buffett rule is the way to go, but why can't we have a tax system that institutes some sense of consistent fairness relative to income all the way across the income spectrum? Why is this concept so fundamentally controversial and anti-American for conservatives?
Since you obviously have a decent income, no kids and don't have the homeowners concerns about repairs, why aren't you investing in something that will offer some tax shelter??

Add to a 401k, invest in property, and more importantly, GET A GOOD ACCOUNTANT!

You should be pissed at the 54% who pay nothing, not the ones who pay the most.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtrpr View Post
Income:
"Money received, esp. on a regular basis, for work or through investments."

So I guess that the money just magically appears for them then?

Maybe you should stick to England.
Buffett Rule's Deceitful Consequences | Richard W. Rahn | Cato Institute: Commentary

Buffett Rule is Really an Anti-Corporate Rule| Tax Foundation

White House's Own Data Contradicts Claims on Buffett Rule| Tax Foundation

Old 04-18-2012, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
ambient - the primary reason our tax code subsidizes Capital Gains is to support the privilege and exclusivity of the very top 1%. Another reason is they own the country and the government and can have you and I pay for it. The system is NOT set up to be FAIR. It is set up to prevent fairness of any form or function.

As I have said elsewhere I think all income from all sources from tag sales to drug profits to capital gains should be subject to income tax after a deductable set at the 90th percentile. That would make the owners of the country pay for their privilege.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

Bufftet only makes $100K in INCOME.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
ambient - the primary reason our tax code subsidizes Capital Gains is to support the privilege and exclusivity of the very top 1%. Another reason is they own the country and the government and can have you and I pay for it. The system is NOT set up to be FAIR. It is set up to prevent fairness of any form or function.

As I have said elsewhere I think all income from all sources from tag sales to drug profits to capital gains should be subject to income tax after a deductable set at the 90th percentile. That would make the owners of the country pay for their privilege.
And they'll do what other ultra rich people do. They'll use their trump card and move their money off-shore, or relocate out of the US entirely and live in a tax haven like Singapore, Monaco, etc. No matter how you slice it, you're not getting their money. Might as well keep the rates at a reasonable rate and keep the money here rather than offshore it read my links, by the way

Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
AFAIAC - All increases in wealth are INCOME and should be taxed as INCOME! The entire idea of Capital Gains is just a way rich people avoid paying their fair share.

If people move their accounts "offshore" they would still be taxed on the profits. If they moved off shore they would lose their citizenship and have all their US assets confiscated. Try and cheat by hiding their money offshore and I would hunt down their money. Move themselves away and I would hunt them down. Either would cost them more than staying here and paying their fair share.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Bufftet only makes $100K in INCOME.
That'll just fly over the liberals' heads. They don't understand simple facts like that. It's all emotion for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies