Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Oh, I know. I've been there with my own husband, though he never lost cognitive ability, he was "locked-in" after a stroke basically destroyed his brain stem and never talked or walked again.

What many people don't realize is how quickly the body breaks down, how quickly the muscles die, the pressure sores develop and the inevitable infections set-in. He fortunately was able to make his own choice - go back on a ventilator after another bout with pneumonia or go home and die. He chose the latter.
But, right after the stroke, prior to the time he started breathing on his own again, you'd better believe that there was a DNR order in place and while I thank God everyday for the extra time we had, I truly believe that he would have much preferred to not wake up as he did, knowing what he lost.
I understand fully. 2 years ago, my best "more than friend" died in a hospice, Glioblastoma (brain tumor). She had been working 50 hour weeks in mid February, was in a hospital by end of month, hospice 2 weeks later, and died Easter Sunday. I was there until the day prior (work required me back, and they were hard pressed letting me stay away 1/2 month) , having flown 1,000 miles on no notice 3/17, upon hearing from her boss where she was. By 10 days into being in the hospice, she had lost almost all senses, and by March 31, was unable to recognize anyone. I was a giant fan of hospice care 30 plus years ago when Branford , Ct hospice was a "new concept", and even more so a fan today. There comes a point where one has to wonder WHO is it that cannot face the reality of death being more merciful than life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Apples to oranges. No one can live forever. Many disabled people can and do lead rich, fulfilling, satisfying, and sometimes even inspiring lives. Again, I can't speak for this particular case cause I also feel I just don't have enough information, but I do think that if the mother is allowed to decide for these two adults, that it will open up a huge can of worms for parents with perspectives like yours to use abortion as a form of eugenics.
Now you are talking about your average disabled person? I give up..........

Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Of course not! But you have to take that into account. Why should we as a society spend MILLIONS of dollars keeping two lives viable in whatever sense you wanna determine viability and meanwhile that money could be better spent on keeping 100 babies alive that have a chance at a much more productive and satisfying life. Your thinking of money grows on trees mentality is why our healthcare system is so screwed up. Does that mean I believe in death panels? HELL NO! But when you're 94 years old no we shouldn't give you every damn antibiotic under the sun, run every damn test under the sun, and do every damn thing for you to keep you alive for the next 6 months. Sorry you had a good run, swallow your pride and make way for that baby that was born a few months premature!!!!
In a previous post, you said yourself that you would abort a baby with anophthalmia. But raising a blind child really doesn't cost any more than raising a sighted child, and that child (assuming no other cognitive disabilities) is able to think and feel like any other child. So what's your reasoning for aborting that child? Where do you draw the line? How disabled does someone have to be before you decide for them that their life is worthless/costs too much/whatever?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I understand fully. 2 years ago, my best "more than friend" died in a hospice, Glioblastoma (brain tumor). She had been working 50 hour weeks in mid February, was in a hospital by end of month, hospice 2 weeks later, and died Easter Sunday. I was there until the day prior (work required me back, and they were hard pressed letting me stay away 1/2 month) , having flown 1,000 miles on no notice 3/17, upon hearing from her boss where she was. By 10 days into being in the hospice, she had lost almost all senses, and by March 31, was unable to recognize anyone. I was a giant fan of hospice care 30 plus years ago when Branford , Ct hospice was a "new concept", and even more so a fan today. There comes a point where one has to wonder WHO is it that cannot face the reality of death being more merciful than life?

Yes and in the grand scheme of things what the hell is the big difference between hospice and euthenasia? A few more clicks of the morphine drip? It's my right as a human being to leave this world with as much dignity, self respect, and pride as I lived through it. If I wanna go out Thelma and Louise style it should't be anyone's business.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:29 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Now you are talking about your average disabled person? I give up..........
You're the one that said you'd abort someone with SMA or anophthalmia. So my question, honestly, is how mild does a fetus' projected disability have to be before you're willing to give them a chance at life?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Yes and in the grand scheme of things what the hell is the big difference between hospice and euthenasia? A few more clicks of the morphine drip? It's my right as a human being to leave this world with as much dignity, self respect, and pride as I lived through it. If I wanna go out Thelma and Louise style it should't be anyone's business.
Assisted suicide and euthanasia are 2 entirely different things.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
In a previous post, you said yourself that you would abort a baby with anophthalmia. But raising a blind child really doesn't cost any more than raising a sighted child, and that child (assuming no other cognitive disabilities) is able to think and feel like any other child. So what's your reasoning for aborting that child? Where do you draw the line? How disabled does someone have to be before you decide for them that their life is worthless/costs too much/whatever?

Let me get this straight.......you're actually saying that this lady should have had these babies ANYWAY even IF she knew they had this rare disease inside the womb? Is that what you are actually trying to argue here? Wow if so!!!

You are throwing so many what ifs into this equation it's ridiculous. If I have the full transparency of choosing between a completely healthy fetus and one that has some sort of disease, malformation, whatever. Yes I'm going to choose the healthy viable fetus. Sorry. And fortunately with modern medicine we do have that capacity and it's getting better all the time. You act like you're saying people MUST be forced to raise kids like this as if it's some sort of divine destiny. Crazy!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Let me get this straight.......you're actually saying that this lady should have had these babies ANYWAY even IF she knew they had this rare disease inside the womb? Is that what you are actually trying to argue here? Wow if so!!!

You are throwing so many what ifs into this equation it's ridiculous. If I have the full transparency of choosing between a completely healthy fetus and one that has some sort of disease, malformation, whatever. Yes I'm going to choose the healthy viable fetus. Sorry. And fortunately with modern medicine we do have that capacity and it's getting better all the time. You act like you're saying people MUST be forced to raise kids like this as if it's some sort of divine destiny. Crazy!!!
Abortion isn't a retroactive decision. If that were the case, jails would be a lot less full.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
You're the one that said you'd abort someone with SMA or anophthalmia. So my question, honestly, is how mild does a fetus' projected disability have to be before you're willing to give them a chance at life?
Now you are arguing abortion and completely changing the subject. Let me put it to you this way..........if I have the choice to bring a child like Corky with down syndrome into this world that is my right. You nor anyone else has the right to tell me I have to give birth to a child with down syndrome or not because somehow you think it's immoral if I don't. So yes if I have the choice of aborting even a fetus with down syndrome in order to possibly have a healthy fetus in the near future I'm going to do that. Sorry........that is what I believe and as a human being with modern science and technology at my disposal it's a natural right as much as freedom of whatever.

Are you going to argue with me that deciding to bring or not bring a down syndrome child into this world is akin to choosing the color or a baby's eyes? LOL.....because that is where you are going with this argument I think.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
I'd understand the slippery slope argument, if the afflictions these two have endured far too long were not so horrific. I'd have an issue with the mothers' humanity if she were insisting they exist in this manner indefinitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies