U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,596,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I don't give that a whole lot of weight. Some, but not a lot. He was not a judge in Florida.
I agree with this, but I still think his father & mother probably know the right people to call and have some influence. He even mentioned his parents in his application for the Citizen's Police Academy in 2008 and that was 4 years ago when he was 24.

"My father is a retired Magistrate Judge for the Supreme Court of VA and my mother was a Deputy Clerk of Courts for over 20 years."

Just an aside: Regarding his MySpace page, he could have used that immediately to prove he was not a racist. Obviously he knew it would harm him because of the negative image of him it portrays. However, I find it interesting that he would rather stir up a lot of rumors and hatred about his motives than post a few photos from an old MySpace page. Maybe it's because he's bragging that

"2 felonies dropped to 1 misdemeanor!!!!!!!!!!

or talking about a Domestic Abuse case like this:

"Im still free! The ex hoe tried her hardest, but the judge saw through it! Big Mike, reppin the Dverse security makin me look a million bucks, broke her down! Thanks to everyone for checkin up on me!"

..or maybe he's just not too bright. However, his attorney is very clever and crafty. I mean O'Mara first said to the press that all web sites would be shut down because they could be damaging to his client. Then he learns one raised over $200k in only a couple of weeks and decides to create more of them. Interesting, huh? So he changed his tune and is now saying that "social media in this day and age cannot be ignored, and it would be, in fact, irresponsible to ignore the robust online conversation."

Last edited by justNancy; 05-02-2012 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: fix quotes
Rate this post positively

Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,015,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
It always blows me away when inmates ignore the THIS IS RECORDED! signs posted everywhere and blabs on and on and on LOL

Zimmerman was actually in PC, doubt very much he was in contact with other inmates...but you never know...
What is PC....private confinement?

Usually, or maybe I should say often, the people who run the jails like for inmates to be in contact with other inmates for the very reason that snitches basically "work" for them and this gives snitches access. Seems to me that even in PC the inmate would be taken out for yard visits for exercise with other inmates, and they could talk there. Plus, it's necessary for the targeted inmate to have been seen talking to and being friendly with the snitch.

The reason attorneys advise their clients not to talk is they KNOW that snitches are around and will seek out the "friendship" of certain inmates specifically to either actually get information from the inmate, or to CLAIM that the inmate told them things, or confessed to the crime to them. Many defendants are convicted on snitch testimony.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,054,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What is PC....private confinement?

Usually, or maybe I should say often, the people who run the jails like for inmates to be in contact with other inmates for the very reason that snitches basically "work" for them and this gives snitches access. Seems to me that even in PC the inmate would be taken out for yard visits for exercise with other inmates, and they could talk there. Plus, it's necessary for the targeted inmate to have been seen talking to and being friendly with the snitch.

The reason attorneys advise their clients not to talk is they KNOW that snitches are around and will seek out the "friendship" of certain inmates specifically to either actually get information from the inmate, or to CLAIM that the inmate told them things, or confessed to the crime to them. Many defendants are convicted on snitch testimony.
Protective Custody...the purpose is to keep him away from other inmates because of the emotionally charged case...he would be in his cell 23 hours a day, let out for 1 hour to shower or make calls or visit "rec" room when no other inmates are around. Of course PC inmates are let out whenever there is a legal visit or other visits...with that said...

Casey Anthony in PC did manage to write & communicate with another inmate despite being on "lock down" 23 hours a day...

I don't think GZ was in there long enough to establish communication with another inmate, but again you never know

Old 05-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree with this, but I still think his father & mother probably know the right people to call and have some influence. He even mentioned his parents in his application for the Citizen's Police Academy in 2008 and that was 4 years ago when he was 24.

"My father is a retired Magistrate Judge for the Supreme Court of VA and my mother was a Deputy Clerk of Courts for over 20 years."

Just an aside: Regarding his MySpace page, he could have used that immediately to prove he was not a racist. Obviously he knew it would harm him because of the negative image of him it portrays. However, I find it interesting that he would rather stir up a lot of rumors and hatred about his motives than post a few photos from an old MySpace page. Maybe it's because he's bragging that

"2 felonies dropped to 1 misdemeanor!!!!!!!!!!

or talking about a Domestic Abuse case like this:

"Im still free! The ex hoe tried her hardest, but the judge saw through it! Big Mike, reppin the Dverse security makin me look a million bucks, broke her down! Thanks to everyone for checkin up on me!"
Sounds like bragging to me, which, IMO, is not smart. Not bringing attention to that site by posting on it after this case heated up was probably in his best interest. It took a long time for people to find it, it seems. Also, there are people who do computer forensics these days.....yet, he probably didn't even think about his MySpace page after the Feb 26 incident since he hadn't used it in so many years. Also, I agree that his parents could have had some influence because of personal friendships maybe.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 PM

13,241 posts, read 11,524,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I remember there was a case in Texas, where a couple guys broke into this guys' neighbors house, and he shot them both. He got cleared of all wrong-doing.

If we take a previous point talking about people chasing after shoplifters, and how it is against company policy. Well why is it against company policy? Is it because it is stupid to chase after shoplifters? If you ran a private business, and someone came in and stole from you, wouldn't you want to chase them?

The reason why its against company policy is actually because, if the employee gets injured or injures someone else, the company could be liable if they didn't have that policy.

If you look at the sheer volume of shoplifting and theft and burglary in this country. And then contrast that with the likelihood of the thieves being caught. You can see that there is simply very little the police can do. And so it is understandable for someone like Zimmerman to feel the need to protect his community himself.

Second degree murder is basically a murder that isn't premeditated, and isn't caused by a "heat of passion".

Basically, the state has to prove that Zimmerman was not attacked by Martin, and that Zimmerman had no reasonable level of fear for his life or from serious bodily harm.

The state has to prove that Zimmerman intentionally meant to kill Martin when he fired that shot, and that the shooting was unjustified. And I simply don't see how the state can make that charge stick.

Zimmerman Charged With Murder But Can The State Make The Case For Second Degree Murder? « JONATHAN TURLEY

I know a lot of people think that following someone is a form of aggression. But reporters follow celebrities all the time, and what happens when the celebrities attacks the reporter? Or even breaks the reporters camera? The celebrity gets in trouble.

Every piece of evidence that has been available, has basically indicated that Martin attacked Zimmerman. Whether or not you think Zimmerman should be charged with a crime because he shouldn't have been following an innocent kid, really doesn't matter.

Hollow points really don't mean anything. First, Hollow points just assist in stopping power. In much the same way a .45 is going to have more stopping power than a .22. If you start arguing that people with hollow points are out to kill people, then you have to argue that anyone carrying around a 44 magnum is out to kill people. And you could make the same argument for shotguns.

My friend loves guns, has a concealed carry permit, goes shooting all the time, loads his gun with hollow points. Has never fired his guns in anger in his life, and hopes he never has to. Trust me, putting hollow points in your gun has nothing to do with anything.

Secondly, Martin died very quickly. There is no evidence right now that can prove that if the gun hadn't been filled full of hollow points, that Martin would still be alive.

I had always questioned why did'nt he shot him in a non-vital area since he was far enough away from him to do so. I hate to go into conspiracies but it could possibly be that he intended on killing him, thus there would only be one version of the story. Who is to say that zimmerman was not on drugs or had been drinking, which would be a bombshell to this case. If he had it would be justification for Trayvon to attack/defend himself as well. We will never know why the stanford police dept did not do a drug/BAT on zimmerman but did one on Trayvon

Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Protective Custody...the purpose is to keep him away from other inmates because of the emotionally charged case...he would be in his cell 23 hours a day, let out for 1 hour to shower or make calls or visit "rec" room when no other inmates are around. Of course PC inmates are let out whenever there is a legal visit or other visits...with that said...

Casey Anthony in PC did manage to write & communicate with another inmate despite being on "lock down" 23 hours a day...

I don't think GZ was in there long enough to establish communication with another inmate, but again you never know
Well, that's good for GZ. Snitches seek out the defendant for information, it always works to the State's advantage. Usually information about the case is provided to the inmate jail personnel know will be a snitch so he can get the story straight and know what he needs to say the defendant "said" to him. All of this is of course "illegal," but it happens.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,596,577 times
Quote:
Second degree murder is basically a murder that isn't premeditated, and isn't caused by a "heat of passion".
Not necessarily true. Did you mean "is caused in a heat of passion?" Premeditation is when you plan to do something. So doing something in a heat of passion isn't the same as premeditated.

Anyway, a 2nd degree murder charge includes depraved indifference to human life. If you feel like reading this, it describes the 3 degrees of murder according to Florida Law.

[url=http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode= Display_Statute&Search_String=murder&URL=0700-0799/0782/Sections/0782.04.html]Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine[/url]

The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Quote:
There is no evidence right now that can prove that if the gun hadn't been filled full of hollow points, that Martin would still be alive.
I agree. People usually shoot to kill. Until we know exactly what the ME report says, we can't know if he would have died if another bullet was used, but I don't think that really matters in this case. It's not as if George Zimmerman purposely loaded the gun with them to shoot Trayvon Martin. According to Reuters, he bought the gun and the ammo to shoot a poor little dog that terrorized him. Gosh, this poor guy can't get a break! He is always being arrested, hassled by ex-girlfriends and their boyfriends, and he's such a sweet, gentle soul.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I remember there was a case in Texas, where a couple guys broke into this guys' neighbors house, and he shot them both. He got cleared of all wrong-doing..
Different states have different state laws. Texas laws are different from Florida laws.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,054,944 times
GZ's attorney's statement to address old myspace page...

"The article details a number of statements that will cast Mr. Zimmerman in a less-than-favorable light especially considering the charges he faces. In that regard, it is possible that the statements Mr. Zimmerman made could be used as part of the trial, and therefore it is our policy not to comment directly on items that could become evidence"

FancyFeast5000 brought up a great point that the comments he made regarding his 2005 cases may speak to his possible "education" "knowledge" of the legal system as it applies to assault. This could possibly open the door to the "Williams Rule" which will allow prosecutors to bring in his past arrests...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Not necessarily true. Did you mean "is caused in a heat of passion?" Premeditation is when you plan to do something. So doing something in a heat of passion isn't the same as premeditated.

Anyway, a 2nd degree murder charge includes depraved indifference to human life. If you feel like reading this, it describes the 3 degrees of murder according to Florida Law.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

I agree. People usually shoot to kill. Until we know exactly what the ME report says, we can't know if he would have died if another bullet was used, but I don't think that really matters in this case. It's not as if George Zimmerman purposely loaded the gun with them to shoot Trayvon Martin. According to Reuters, he bought the gun and the ammo to shoot a poor little dog that terrorized him. Gosh, this poor guy can't get a break! He is always being arrested, hassled by ex-girlfriends and their boyfriends, and he's such a sweet, gentle soul.
As you quoted, evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life,.....Trayvon was a human life, so Zimmerman didn't have to be targeting him for this to apply. The type of bullets used could be just one part of the evidence presented to try to prove that element of 2nd degree murder.

I'm reasonably sure that the ME will not speculate regarding what might have happened if a different type of bullet was use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.