Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
You would be correct...not only am I aware of cases where LEO engaged in cover-ups and made mistakes, I personally knew LEO(s) that have engaged in cover-ups as well as experienced the "Good Ole Boy" network here in Florida...

Seen it myself.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
As much as I put down the Sanford Police Department for how it was reported they handled this case, I have to say that at the very least they checked Trayvon and did perform CPR (chest compressions & rescue breaths) for a significant amount of time until EMT's arrived and took over...re-reading the brief initial (on the scene) statement it does appear that SPD followed proper protocol...in all the hoopla surrounding this case in the beginning weeks, I wonder if any news outlet ever bothered to mention that the cops did attempt to help and try to save Trayvon...

It has also been reported that they did not perform a toxicology test on GZ or take his clothing, however I did hear recently that SPD did take his clothes so, it's possible that it was falsely reported that a toxicology test was not performed...

I will continue to reserve judgement until all the information is made available..

Partial Initial Report pdf

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And maybe that's what O'Mara was thinking, among other things, when he stated that they would not comment on those pages because they could possibly be used at the trial.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
There is absolutely no evidence that GZ "hid" his old myspace page on the contrary it would seem he completely forgot it even existed...His attorney shut down all his internet presence and left this one up? For what purpose? If GZ wanted to "hide" this myspace page the profile would have been deleted and we would not have access to view it today...
I agree. Every one seemed to have left MySpace for FaceBook years ago and most people forgot about it. My daughter just looked at hers the other day and she hadn't looked at it in at least five years.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Default A different perspective

Yes. Myspace is out. The thing to remember is Zimmerman was in his early 20's when the Myspace page was written. Im sure there wasn't nearly as much hype on social media being used against people as there is now. He was at a different time in his life.

As Crump has been quoted saying "this represents a pattern in Zimmermans life of racial stereotyping and profiling". Like it or not, Zimmerman is hanging himself. It doesn't matter if he collects a billion in his paypall, the truth cant help but to come out. Thanks to social media and this being turned into a high profile case.

There is the idea they are trying to tarnish Martins image as well. Some White supremacist group hacked into Martins email and pulled some negatives on him as well. His email has been "hacked". Is that legal? Another thing to remember Zimmerman is not White and if his followers think for one minute that he is viewed favorably in their eyes, they have another thing coming. They just like the idea that he killed a Black teen. They don't care for Zimmermans type when push comes to shove.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I had always questioned why did'nt he shot him in a non-vital area since he was far enough away from him to do so. I hate to go into conspiracies but it could possibly be that he intended on killing him, thus there would only be one version of the story. Who is to say that zimmerman was not on drugs or had been drinking, which would be a bombshell to this case. If he had it would be justification for Trayvon to attack/defend himself as well. We will never know why the stanford police dept did not do a drug/BAT on zimmerman but did one on Trayvon
/

He was far away from Martin? Where do you think they were exactly? Martins hoodie has burn marks and residue on it from the gunshot, meaning the gun was practically touching Martin when it was shot.

Secondly, he probably didn't get tested for drugs or alcohol because he didn't show any signs at all that he had been drinking or on drugs.

In reality, there is almost a certainty that Martin and Zimmerman were in a fight. Zimmerman was injured, and there were plenty of witnesses that came out right after the incident. There really was no time for Zimmerman to create wounds on himself so that he could claim self-defense. So the most likely situation, is that Martin had been fighting with Zimmerman. And since Martin supposedly had no marks on him other than the gunshot woun(according to the worker at the funeral home), then it is pretty likely that Martin was at the very least on top of Zimmerman when he was shot. Nothing else really makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Anyway, a 2nd degree murder charge includes depraved indifference to human life. If you feel like reading this, it describes the 3 degrees of murder according to Florida Law.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
Look, I know what Second-degree murder is.

The simplest way to explain it would be as if someone was doing something that they basically know could cause serious harm or death, and yet, they continue to do it, and then someone dies.

A relatively recent case of this, was a child who was being abused, and then died because of that abuse. No one intended for the child to die, but they were doing intentional harm to that child, which caused the death.

In regards to this case, I just do not understand how they could make the same argument. Following someone doesn't intentionally put you in a situation where you know harm could be done to someone else. The state would have to argue that Zimmerman had been looking for a violent confrontation.

But, on the phone, Zimmerman had repeated many times that he was keeping an eye on Martin, that he thought he was out stealing stuff. And even Martins lawyer says that Martins girlfriend said the first words spoken between Martin and Zimmerman were by Martin, asking why Zimmerman was following him. And lastly, Martins body was supposedly basically uninjured, which means that Zimmerman did not attack Martin in any way whatsoever, other than the gunshot. So, unless new evidence comes out, I just fail to see how the state could possibly prove that Martin had been looking to put himself into a situation where he knew someone would be seriously harmed.

So I will repeat again, in my mind the only case the state has, is to try to prove Zimmerman wasn't in fear of his life. And the only way they could feasibly do that, is to prove that Martin is the one crying for help in the 911 call.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
If the man has injuries, set him free. He broke no laws. Don't like the laws? Change them.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
/

He was far away from Martin? Where do you think they were exactly? Martins hoodie has burn marks and residue on it from the gunshot, meaning the gun was practically touching Martin when it was shot.

Secondly, he probably didn't get tested for drugs or alcohol because he didn't show any signs at all that he had been drinking or on drugs.

In reality, there is almost a certainty that Martin and Zimmerman were in a fight. Zimmerman was injured, and there were plenty of witnesses that came out right after the incident. There really was no time for Zimmerman to create wounds on himself so that he could claim self-defense. So the most likely situation, is that Martin had been fighting with Zimmerman. And since Martin supposedly had no marks on him other than the gunshot woun(according to the worker at the funeral home), then it is pretty likely that Martin was at the very least on top of Zimmerman when he was shot. Nothing else really makes any sense.

Look, I know what Second-degree murder is.

The simplest way to explain it would be as if someone was doing something that they basically know could cause serious harm or death, and yet, they continue to do it, and then someone dies.

A relatively recent case of this, was a child who was being abused, and then died because of that abuse. No one intended for the child to die, but they were doing intentional harm to that child, which caused the death.

In regards to this case, I just do not understand how they could make the same argument. Following someone doesn't intentionally put you in a situation where you know harm could be done to someone else. The state would have to argue that Zimmerman had been looking for a violent confrontation.

But, on the phone, Zimmerman had repeated many times that he was keeping an eye on Martin, that he thought he was out stealing stuff. And even Martins lawyer says that Martins girlfriend said the first words spoken between Martin and Zimmerman were by Martin, asking why Zimmerman was following him. And lastly, Martins body was supposedly basically uninjured, which means that Zimmerman did not attack Martin in any way whatsoever, other than the gunshot. So, unless new evidence comes out, I just fail to see how the state could possibly prove that Martin had been looking to put himself into a situation where he knew someone would be seriously harmed.

So I will repeat again, in my mind the only case the state has, is to try to prove Zimmerman wasn't in fear of his life. And the only way they could feasibly do that, is to prove that Martin is the one crying for help in the 911 call.
Actually Zimmerman has to prove he was in fear for his life because he has filed an affirmative defense, self defense. The state has to prove the elements of 2nd degree murder. State (or anyone else) cannot prove a negative. Yes, proving that Martin was the one calling out for help would really help the State. If Martin was screaming for help and Zimmerman shot him anyway, well, that seems to me it would go toward the depraved mind element.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 AM

96 posts, read 81,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
except the officer wrote in his report that he did identify himself as a police officer. Was the cop making that up?
WHEN did he identify himself, before the push or after the push??

Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
...and a third NBC reporter gets the boot.

Another Misleading Edit Costs Another NBC News Employee Her Job - TVNewser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies