Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 01:14 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,341,644 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/19/us...e.html?_r=1&hp

Quote:
In the sworn interview recorded on April 2, which runs more than 22 minutes, the unidentified 16-year-old said Mr. Martin described a man who was “crazy and creepy” and on the phone, watching him from a vehicle before he started to follow him on foot.

The girl implored Mr. Martin, 17, who said he put his sweatshirt hood up because of the rain, to run to the town house where he was staying with his father, his father’s girlfriend and her 14-year-old son.

“I could hear the wind blowing” and “he said he lost him,” said the girl, who is from Miami and who said she had known Mr. Martin since kindergarten. She has not been identified because she is a minor and a witness in the case.
I have a problem with the credibility of this witness since she was "discovered" by Crump and this interview took place a month after the shooting and during the media hoopla.

Still very interesting read.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:19 AM

16,850 posts, read 10,487,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
That may be true, but the only answer which will matter ultimately is the answer given by the ME who did the autopsy. He will give that answer in either a deposition or in court. There is no doubt that he/she will be asked about that. My guess is that he has a number of inches in mind that will be more specific than "up to 18 inches"....which he/she can give because he/she will be qualified as an expert and therefore allowed to give an opinion.
I'm sure Zimmerman will put an expert on the stand to say that soot and 2 inches of stippling is consistent with a close range injury.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:20 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,797,985 times
The estimate on the distance the gun was from Martin when it was fired was two to four inches. Consistent with Zimmerman's story.

There is no law against racial profiling. There is no law against being an overaggressive neighborhood watchman. No matter how much someone's actions, short of causing you fear of physical harm, irritate you you have no right to punch them in the nose and slam their head on the ground.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:44 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,381,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The estimate on the distance the gun was from Martin when it was fired was two to four inches. Consistent with Zimmerman's story.

There is no law against racial profiling. There is no law against being an overaggressive neighborhood watchman. No matter how much someone's actions, short of causing you fear of physical harm, irritate you you have no right to punch them in the nose and slam their head on the ground.
Since you are speculating with such "authority," let me speculate back.

If Zimmerman said something to Trayvon which was perceived as verbally threatening physical violence toward Trayvon, then he had every right to defend himself. See how that works?

At this point you absolutely do not know the distance the gun was from Trayvon when it was fired. Sorry. That is the ME's call. At this point the ME has not defined it as anything other than "intermediate range." As much as you want validation of what Zimmerman has said, it's just not there yet. You're going to have to wait until a hearing or the trial to find out the answer. Btw, Zimmerman has made many statements, and the State contends that those statements are inconsistent.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:58 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,381,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I'm sure Zimmerman will put an expert on the stand to say that soot and 2 inches of stippling is consistent with a close range injury.
The Medical Examiner is an independent office, and his/her job is to do autopsies all the time. Yes, Zimmerman's attorney can look around for another forensic pathologist to counter the ME's testimony, IF he can find another pathologist who finds something wrong with the autopsy. And to hire a forensic pathologist with impressive credentials to testify as an expert for Zimmerman will cost a LOT OF MONEY. Easily $10,000 or more, depending on how much time they have to spend reading materials to prepare for testimony. So, I'd guess that Zimmerman's attorney would have to have a serious complaint with the ME's report. Of course, they are very likely to take the ME's deposition prior to any hearing or trial in order to know what he/she is going to say.

Do you have a medical background? If so, I'm sure that the autopsy report would be interesting for you to read. I posted a link to it just a few posts back from here. Have you read it? Has anyone said that the ME will NOT testify to whatever "soot" and "stippling" you're talking about? The medical examiner has no reason to lie, and every reason to do a good job, if he doesn't want to lose his job. There is a Commission of Medical Examiners where complaints can be filed.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 05-19-2012 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: too many words

Old 05-19-2012, 02:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 5,761,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
So tell me, what does "battery on law enforcement officer mean?" Did George shake his hand? Offer him a beer?
It could mean he shoved him.
If it was a serious battery, they
wouldn't have dropped the charges.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 AM

469 posts, read 909,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I have no opinion on Mr. Zimmermann's guilt or innocence - my issue is with the MSM for manipulating the story rather than reporting it.
I agree, thier reporting was nothing more than activism in an attempt to start a race war. I will say they have helped this president set back relations 20+ years.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,797,985 times
Quote:

At this point you absolutely do not know the distance the gun was from Trayvon when it was fired.
‘Intermediate range’ shot killed Trayvon Martin - Video on TODAY.com

2 to 4 inches. Yes, I realize MSNBC is the same source that edits tapes.

No evidence that Zimmermen verbally threatened Martin. None at all.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,465,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
It could mean he shoved him.
If it was a serious battery, they
wouldn't have dropped the charges.
Zimmerman shrugged away, pushed the cop's arms with his hands, and was handcuffed after an undescribed 'brief struggle.'

Not behavior to put on a job resume. But hardly the action the phrase 'past history of criminal violence' wants to portray.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:04 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,465,345 times
Quote:

If Zimmerman said something to Trayvon which was perceived as verbally threatening physical violence toward Trayvon, then he had every right to defend himself. See how that works?

At this point you absolutely do not know the distance the gun was from Trayvon when it was fired. Sorry. That is the ME's call. At this point the ME has not defined it as anything other than "intermediate range." As much as you want validation of what Zimmerman has said, it's just not there yet. You're going to have to wait until a hearing or the trial to find out the answer. Btw, Zimmerman has made many statements, and the State contends that those statements are inconsistent.
Medical examiners must have a generally accepted terminology for autopsies. 'Intermediate range' can't mean 5-10 feet in one county and 20-50 feet in another. I've seen up to 3 feet mentioned for intermediate. Though the precise opinion of the ME isn't known, the hopes of some that gz shot tm from 10 or 20 feet away are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies