Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Here is a portion of the CNN transcript which I find very interesting. Quite clearly the investigator is saying that they have evidence, including Zimmerman's inconsistent statements, which contradicts Zimmerman's version of what happened.
Still reading the transcript...some missing testimony due to the commercial breaks, *ugh* but I'm picking up on some of the testimony I missed when I watched it live...I'll keep checking the local station websites for the video and as soon as they upload the hearing I'll post it...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 AM

179 posts, read 156,719 times
Quote:
Also part of the law is that Zimmerman had to exhaust every reasonable attempt to escape from the situation which was causing him such fear before using deadly force.

There was testimony in the bail hearing that Zimmerman made a statement that Trayvon put both his hands on his (Zim) mouth and nose, and it was at that point he was suddenly able to get free from Trayvon but Trayvon was grabbing for the gun, and that's when he shot him.

If, in fact, Trayvon had put both his hands on Zimmerman's nose and mouth, then I guess Zimmerman could not have been screaming help just prior to the gunshot. That makes it more likely that Trayvon was screaming "help."
There is no duty to retreat in FL. Even if there was, you cannot retreat on your back.

I'm unfamiliar with the testimony you're referring to, but it sounds like he only tried to cover his mouth for a very short period of time after which he released and fought over gun.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
There is no duty to retreat in FL. Even if there was, you cannot retreat on your back.

I'm unfamiliar with the testimony you're referring to, but it sounds like he only tried to cover his mouth for a very short period of time after which he released and fought over gun.
Here's a link to the testimony I'm referring to. Galbrath is the SA investigator and Unidentified Male is the attorney asking questions at the bail hearing.

Trayvon Martin Case Updates: 2 Judges Recuse, "graphic pictures" of Zimmerman's Injuries, Bond set at $150K

Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Still reading the transcript...some missing testimony due to the commercial breaks, *ugh* but I'm picking up on some of the testimony I missed when I watched it live...I'll keep checking the local station websites for the video and as soon as they upload the hearing I'll post it...
I saw the whole thing.
The prosecutor's investigator tried to play cute, but ended up conceding all of George Zimmermans points under oath.
The case is basically not really there agaisnt Zimmerman.
The lady who brought this is up for election and would not have won election had she at least not charged Zimmerman.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
He was held for some time at the police station. IMO probably was mixed up some with his head beaten in.
Police should have had someone in the station if they existed take another look at him a while later. Brain can get swollen, blood can drip into the brain. All sorts of nasties could happen.
That's exactly what I am saying. He was questioned for hours. If he was seriously injured, I don't know how he could be sitting there answering questions. He was walking around unassisted in the police station from what I could see in the police video.

I don't think the law is right, but if O'Mara can use SYG, it's possible Zimmerman will be released. I know it doesn't seem that way, but I only want justice for the victim and his family. I just don't think anyone has the right to pursue a stranger with a gun unless that person is committing a crime. Even then, unless someone's life is in imminent danger, call the police and stay out of it.

OTOH, as pointed out in the interview with Mr. O'Mara that I posted earlier, Florida's SYG law is a "license to kill" (not my words) so this case is important because it's so high profile. I doubt if he'd agree it's a "license to kill" now. At this point, it's not just Zimmerman, but the law that's on trial. We'll find out soon enough if SYG will be his defense.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
That's exactly what I am saying. He was questioned for hours. If he was seriously injured, I don't know how he could be sitting there answering questions. He was walking around unassisted in the police station from what I could see in the police video.

I don't think the law is right, but if O'Mara can use SYG, it's possible Zimmerman will be released. I know it doesn't seem that way, but I only want justice for the victim and his family.

OTOH, as said in the interview with Mr. O'Mara I posted earlier, Florida's SYG law is a "license to kill." (not my words) so this case is important because it's so high profile. At this point, it's not just Zimmerman, but the law that's on trial.
He was handcuffed, could have been a little or way off, how would we know?
I don't know why they didn't drug test GZ with a death involved.
I don't know after a blow to the head and giving several statements how he could have been consistant anyway.
When I heard the father and later the brother speak I realized this is a very articulate family and they appear to have some IQ going on there compared to what most would have thought IMO.

Stand your ground IMO isn't the issue here. He had the right to carry the weapon and it was a straight self defense when he was attacked and later defending from his back on the ground.

If Trayvon was beating up and jumped Zimmerman, though he died, he would have been the agressor and not the victim in this at all.
With his handle No_Limit_N.i.g.g.e.r., I don't think there was much innocence left. He also recently had a drug pipe, residue Jewelry he couldn't account for, a burglary tool other recent issues with defacing public property.
The kid comes off as directing himself toward crime to me, not the same route that his older brother in college was taking.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I saw the whole thing.
The prosecutor's investigator tried to play cute, but ended up conceding all of George Zimmermans points under oath.
The case is basically not really there agaisnt Zimmerman.
The lady who brought this is up for election and would not have won election had she at least not charged Zimmerman.
No, the investigator did not "concede" all of Zimmerman's points under oath. I have posted part of the transcript of that bail hearing. Maybe you should read it. Btw, did you also watch the cross examination?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
At the bond hearing Zimmerman said he didn't know Martin was unarmed and he thought he was older. Think about it. In fact, he said 2 stupid things. First "I did not know how old he was." So he's admitting he wouldn't have fired if he knew he was only 17? Is he saying someone 25 would be more of a threat? His life was either in danger or it wasn't. Age isn't a factor if it was really self defense, right?

Second, he said "I did not know if he was armed or not." So he is admitting he's either a moron who followed a man with a gun or he was ready to shoot back if necessary. I mean, if he thought Martin had a gun, why would he get out of his car and chase him? I'm only quoting what he said.

Also, both of those statements contradict the 911 call in which he said Martin was a teenager and that he saw something in his waistband (which sounded as if he was carrying a weapon)

Again, just my opinion.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:47 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Also part of the law is that Zimmerman had to exhaust every reasonable attempt to escape from the situation which was causing him such fear before using deadly force.

Every reasonable attempt to escape? Don't you think that's a bit subjective? And if he was on the ground with a thug on top of him, how do you propose he escape?

I'm glad I don't live in your fantasy world.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Two problems with that scenario.

1. Zimmerman's brother tells us that George attempted to move his head onto the grass to supposedly soften the blows from the concrete sidewalk, not the other way around.

2. How can one's screams for help be heard so audibly while the mouth and nose are covered and breathing is interrupted?
I'll assume the mouth and nose weren't covered the whole time he was on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies