Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Why shouldn't he be happy the 'hoe' didn't get her way and the judge saw right thru her ?

Why shouldn't he be happy ['brag' if you accept media word] 2 felonies were reduced to a misdemeanor ?

That isn't what I asked. Again - look at my post. I asked why he didn't offer this as proof he wasn't a racist. Amazing how you take out just the negative parts.

If someone wants to hide something, it might be because what he wrote is damaging to his character in the court of public opinion.

Again, I wouldn't want anyone to know I was arrested and charged with a felony, but that's just me. I would drop dead of embarrassment if someone even thought I was shoplifting. In fact, I watch my credit score too.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, for first time offenders it's not uncommon. The reason these are brought up, not just here, but by the prosecution, is that they show a pattern of behavior.

I guess how people look at these arrests depends on the crowd you hang with, since I don't know many people who have all this crap in their background. Maybe they do from 30 years ago, however, and changed their lives. (something Trayvon Martin won't get the chance to do) I suppose we never know people until something pops up, which is why they should stop posting personal stuff on the internet.

Gosh, if I get into trouble, will all my City-Data comments be entered into evidence?
Unless they can get that stuff in via Williams Rule, they can't bring up his past convictions to show a pattern or anything else. A person is tried for the offense charged; therefore, unless, like I said, the state can use the Williams Rule, they cannot bring up past charges and convictions during the trial. The defendant is not being tried for those past offenses, and has already paid his debt to society, so to speak, for those "crimes." There is one other exception, and that is if the defendant himself testifies and HE brings up his past record during his testimony for any reason, then the State can put his past record in evidence and question him about it.

I think your comments on City Data do not reveal your real world identity, so no. But facebook, not so sure....

Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't he be happy the 'hoe' didn't get her way and the judge saw right thru her ?

Why shouldn't he be happy ['brag' if you accept media word] 2 felonies were reduced to a misdemeanor ?
1. It's demeaning to women.

2. Why brag about having been charged with two felonies?

Old 05-02-2012, 04:00 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
It wasn't a speeding ticket. Smart people know better than to publicly, in writing, make such statements because they realize they don't actually know what the future holds. As a matter of fact, many incarcerated individuals were more street smart than to do something like that. Zimmerman could have simply have said that he won in court, period.

Actually, IMO, people making those kinds of (your words) "happy yahoo" statements which Zimmerman made on social media these days are not very bright either.
I'll ask you the same question. Why shouldn't he be happy ? Notice he didn't use words like he beat the rap or in any way implied he was actually guilty of the felony charges. Something like That would be nasty. What he wrote about the criminal case doesn't bother me.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:03 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,135 times
There is absolutely no evidence that GZ "hid" his old myspace page on the contrary it would seem he completely forgot it even existed...His attorney shut down all his internet presence and left this one up? For what purpose? If GZ wanted to "hide" this myspace page the profile would have been deleted and we would not have access to view it today...

Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Exactly, he also implied IMO the possibility of bringing TM social media presence in as well...

"We believe that inviting public scrutiny of the contents of this social media account invites scrutiny of the social media accounts of all parties involved. While these social media accounts may be public, we will not comment on them publicly, as they may be part of the evidence produced at trial"
Help me with this. I can't think of how TM's social media information would help the defense. Seems to me it would be very unwise of either side, for any reason, to attack the deceased victim in any hearing or trial........but that's why brainstorming is always a good idea....I can't figure this one out.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I'll ask you the same question. Why shouldn't he be happy ? Notice he didn't use words like he beat the rap or in any way implied he was actually guilty of the felony charges. Something like That would be nasty. What he wrote about the criminal case doesn't bother me.
I never said Zimmerman shouldn't be happy. What I said was that IMO it was NOT SMART to post the things he posted. You are not the State Attorney; it doesn't matter if it doesn't bother you because you are not looking at the situation from how it could help your case.

Common sense should tell most of us what sorts of things we want to put in writing for the world to see and what sorts of things we celebrate with FRIENDS in the real world. Or at the very least in PRIVATE messages.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Help me with this. I can't think of how TM's social media information would help the defense. Seems to me it would be very unwise of either side, for any reason, to attack the deceased victim in any hearing or trial........but that's why brainstorming is always a good idea....I can't figure this one out.
It certainly could backfire against his client, I'm not sure what TM's internet presence could show to help support GZ's case, but if there is something that can be handled with decorum they will use it especially if the prosecution brings up GZ's internet presence.... there may be other social media users out there with ties to the case as well...

Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
It certainly could backfire against his client, I'm not sure what TM's internet presence could show to help support GZ's case, but if there is something that can be handled with decorum they will use it especially if the prosecution brings up GZ's internet presence.... there may be other social media users out there with ties to the case as well...
True. However, I have never seen any sort of "attack" on a dead victim handled with decorum, no matter had tactfully it is attempted. That's true even with an inmate killing an inmate. It always backfires with a jury.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
True. However, I have never seen any sort of "attack" on a dead victim handled with decorum, no matter had tactfully it is attempted. That's true even with an inmate killing an inmate. It always backfires with a jury.
Hence my use of the "dubious" emoticon LOL...There may be other social media users out there that could discredit witnesses and other pertinent people involved with the case...the first Judge in CA's case blundered with his blogging as well as Baez bringing up the Lead Detective's internet presence....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies