Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
NBC manipulated a phone call to further their race baiting agenda. The truth has a conservative bias and liberals manipulate the truth to push their cause.

The truth has a conservative bias? LMAO...if the truth had a Conservative bias, Fox news would not feel the need to manipulate it constantly. Fox, NBC and other networks or blogs that practice unethical journalism and reporting have nothing to do with whether or not Geoge Zimmerman should be tried. I was angry about him getting away with murder before NBC and before Jackson and Sharpton got involved. I read the story, the police report and heard the 911 tapes in full. I still don't believe that Trayvon Martin deserved to die. I suppose if you do not seek the facts and let television tell you how to think then you could be influenced by watching TV, but the outrage is certainly not real. Fox News viewers have no issues with lies, unfair edits and being told how to think.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I got you and yes I do know that GZ has to request the hearing...

My question is why wouldn't he take a chance in an immunity hearing, either way he has to put on evidence/case to prove that affirmative defense and the prosecution will also have to present their evidence/case, so both sides are exposed. Since the standard of proof in this type of hearing is a preponderance of the evidence not beyond a reasonable doubt he may have a better chance with a judge that is familiar with the SYG/JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE Statute. It's a win-win or lose-lose either way.
Seems to me that the SYG statute is short and basically says you have NO DUTY TO RETREAT.

The statute you posted regarding aggressor is the self defense statute, which says you have to exhaust every reasonable effort to get away (so you have to try to retreat)

They contradict each other actually.

Now, as to why I think it's a big risk to go to an immunity hearing, I have never seen any attorney who was willing to show their opponent their case strategy and all their evidence PRIOR to a trial. Even with discovery, there are some things about your case you don't have to reveal prior to trial. It is a very big risk to go to immunity because there is a chance he might lose in this case. I think an attorney would advise his client to go to an immunity hearing ONLY if there was enormous evidence that the client was in fear for his life and the State had very little or weak evidence. So I think if it were really favorable for Zimmerman to go to an immunity, his attorney would ask for one pretty quickly. O'Mara has not. Of course he's still looking at the State's evidence but.....I think in these cases when SYG is really clear they ask for an immunity hearing fairly early on.

If Zimmerman went to immunity hearing and LOST, it could be months before the case went to a jury trial, giving the State that much more time to investigate every detail of the defendant's case from the hearing, order transcripts with which to impeach Zimmerman as well as his witnesses at a trial, etc., etc. Also, putting Zimmerman on the witness stand ONE time is going to be traumatic, but to have to put him on TWICE, with transcripts which could impeach him before a jury sounds to me like a nightmare. An immunity hearing provides that much more testimony in which Zimmerman could be inconsistent and/or contradict himself.

There is STRATEGY involved in putting on a case at trial. So if you basically "pre-try" your case at such a hearing and LOSE, you're in trouble.

When you say "either way he will have to put on his case/evidence to prove that affirmative defense".......he doesn't have to put on his case but ONE time if he chooses a trial over immunity hearing, so I don't really understand that statement. Only one time does he have to get on the witness stand if he chooses a trial. If he chooses immunity, there is a CHANCE then he will have to put on his case TWICE and get on the witness stand TWICE. Zimmerman is not going to be a good witness. He talks too much, it is easy to get him unsettled, he contradicts himself, he seems to be stubborn, does things his attorneys advise him not to do, and those state attorneys are very experienced in throwing witnesses off balance. ALL BAD FOR ZIMMERMAN.

I'm not so sure in this case having a judge decide the immunity case is all that much better for Zimmerman either. Judges understand impeachment better than a jury does. I'm pretty sure that the judge who has now been assigned the case would also preside at the immunity hearing. Not positive, but usually any case assigned to a judge stays with that judge for all the proceedings because that judge learns the case as they go through pre-trial hearings etc. But I could be wrong; it has happened before.

It will be interesting to see what O'Mara does with this. I think I've repeated myself here, so my apologies; I'm kinda tired.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 05-03-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Both liberals and conservatives (and everyone in-between) exaggerate. The worst myth is that the media is liberal. After all, how can the media be controlled by liberals if this is true? Click on link below.

FOX News - #1 Cable News Channel - FOXNews.com
Can you show me where Fox has ever done anything like altering a phone call to make an accused murderer sound racist? That is the work of liberals.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Can you show me where Fox has ever done anything like altering a phone call to make an accused murderer sound racist? That is the work of liberals.

Several examples of Fox News unethical behavior have already been posted, but I geuss love is blinding. Whether editing a phone call or editing a speech to make the speaker appear to be violently threatening a group of people (see Jimmy Hoffa), or editing a speech to to make the speaker appear to be saying something totally different (see Fox News edits of Obama's speech on the SCOTUS or jobs) than what he really is, it is still unethical. Did you take a look at any of the videos posted? Probably not. If you are going to harp on that and pretend to really care about unethical behavior by television anchors, you should be very angry with Fox News.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 AM

436 posts, read 755,861 times
First, all cable news organizations spew misinformation. I don't know any Fox examples in the Travyon case, as I try to avoid that horrible channel all together. However, CNN and MSNBC have clearly distorted this case, and have spewed enormous amounts of misinformation from the very beginning. To ignore this is being intellectually dishonest.

Also, this is not the preliminaries between Liberals vs Conservatives; Obama vs Romney (quit being sheep for the political pundits at CNN, MSNBC and FOX). All I know is that there is a young kid dead. And there is a young man who needs a fair trial. Is he guilty? I don't know. I use to think there was a strong case against him. Now, I am not so sure (especially for 2nd degree murder anyways).

Personally, I am more appalled at our behavior.
Instead of bickering... mind you, I don't have any problems, with people drawing opinions... But let's face it. We do not have all the facts, and this argument is going in circles.

Perhaps we should discuss on why we don't hold our media (all news organizations) to a higher standard. We should be appalled at our apparent loss of privacy (TM Facebook and GZ myspace), where our personal life is so easily picked apart. And place more concerns to prevent something like what happened after the Rodney King verdict.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Intentional? First of all, it's been called "a botched editing job" and these people are scapegoats. Do you know how often tapes are edited?

I would like to know one person who was influenced by listening to the Today Show. Just one - put up your hand!

Almost everyone has heard the entire 911 call and read the transcript from it. I didn't see any posts from you criticizing Andrew Breitbart who intentionally edited a 3 minute misleading clip from a 43 minute speech. He claimed a Black woman was biased toward White farmers, when she was saying the exact opposite.

I don't know how you can even pretend to be unbiased, since you posted that NBC took a "disastrous lurch to the Left" in another post and are always complaining about the liberal media. I guess we can only reply on Fox to tell us the truth.

By the way, I listened to the 911 call directly from the Sanford Police web site. Zimmerman did say "he's got his hands in his waistband and he's a Black male." However, the first time he mentioned race was when the dispatcher asked. I didn't hear any racist remarks in the tape, but he sure was convinced Trayvon Martin was a criminal for some reason.
Wow, you think almost everyone actually listens to audio or reads transcript of a 911 call ? Please, people like you [and me] who follow the case carefully are the exception, not the rule. Anyone who happpemned to hear the Today show's version of the call may still think it's true.

There are probably many people who still associate gz with the mugshot and tm with the baby-faced child.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 AM

96 posts, read 81,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Notice how they get fired but when it is done of FOX no one gets fired. If they did the place would be empty except for maybe one or two.
So in other words, 2 wrongs make a right Yea, that's using your brains!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
The truth has a conservative bias? LMAO...if the truth had a Conservative bias, Fox news would not feel the need to manipulate it constantly. Fox, NBC and other networks or blogs that practice unethical journalism and reporting have nothing to do with whether or not Geoge Zimmerman should be tried. I was angry about him getting away with murder before NBC and before Jackson and Sharpton got involved. I read the story, the police report and heard the 911 tapes in full. I still don't believe that Trayvon Martin deserved to die. I suppose if you do not seek the facts and let television tell you how to think then you could be influenced by watching TV, but the outrage is certainly not real. Fox News viewers have no issues with lies, unfair edits and being told how to think.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukiddin View Post
So in other words, 2 wrongs make a right Yea, that's using your brains!
I don't think so but apparently you do.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:25 AM

96 posts, read 81,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I don't think so but apparently you do.
These are YOUR words, "Notice how they get fired but when it is done of FOX no one gets fired"..................so stop crying 2 wrongs don't make it right, as I said before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies