Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,891,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
So it's simply your belief or opinion? Nothing more, nothing less.

Just like it's your belief that Zimmerman is telling the truth, and that defending yourself by killing someone should not be questioned? And we will see if the state's evidence throws enough reasonable doubt on Zimmerman's statement for the jury to convict.
I can't have conversations with people who continually try to twist what I say.
Never did I say that defending yourself by killing someone should not be questioned. In fact, I quite specifically said exactly the opposite. Go back & read it.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Yes. And?
AND, this:
Quote:
The fact is, we have evidence that Martin committed a crime. (blah, blah, blah)
Martin is NOT on trial.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
By the way, why do people keep saying that Zimmerman was following Martin in his SUV? From the police call I heard, Zimmerman was sitting in his stationary vehicle, watching Martin who at one point, according to Zimmerman on that very call, was looking at and coming toward him in that vehicle. From where do we learn that Zimmerman was stalking him in his SUV? Did I miss something here?
Good grief, did you even listen to the transcript of GZ's initial call to the cops (where he sounds like he was on something, IMO)? Yes, you did miss something.

Paraphrasing:

Dispatcher: Are you following him?
GZ: Yes

Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,891,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good grief, did you even listen to the transcript of GZ's initial call to the cops (where he sounds like he was on something, IMO)? Yes, you did miss something.

Paraphrasing:

Dispatcher: Are you following him?
GZ: Yes
Did you not get that at that point he had gotten out of the vehicle, and it was clear he was following on foot? Not in his vehicle?

And no, I didn't "listen to the transcript." I have listened to the recording, and I have read the transcript, but I haven't listened to the transcript.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
The "reasonable" qualifier is there to prevent people from killing someone they afraid of just because that person walks by. The fear for ones life needs, I believe, to be reasonable in the circumstance.

As to your statement that the filing of the charges demonstrates a belief that Zimmerman is lying about the facts; I disagree. I think it's entirely possible that the police & the district attorney believed Zimmerman's story, and that the "special prosecutor" was assigned with the express instruction to file some charge.
Quote:
I still disagree. I think the prosecutor can file the charge while not believing they can win the case. I have no interest in proving that's what happened, but I can believe it all I want.
Someone got killed. Let the investigation be done, and be done thoroughly. If the evidence supports the charge, the accused goes to prison, and justice has been done. And if the evidence doesn't support the charge, then the accused goes free.
I thought you were a realtor. Are you an attorney, too?

Quote:
Perhaps he was still in shock over the fact he has just killed someone, and wasn't yet thinking clearly about his legal defense.
Aw, poor widda Georgie! Yes, he did write something on Facebook about how killing Trayvon was a "life-changing experience". How profound of him!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:35 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,461,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
My statement was based on the evidence available at this point, including the 911 call that Zimmerman made himself. Perhaps a look at Zimmerman's arrest record from that night would inform you more fully. Again, since you seem so certain that Trayvon Martin had either committed a crime or attempted to, we would all like to see such information from authorities. The SYG law cuts both ways:

Did ‘Stand Your Ground’ Actually Protect Trayvon Martin? - By David French - The Corner - National Review Online

As the author notes, much will depend on Zimmerman's account and also statements (even from his attorney) that he's told contradictory stories and made statements that don't match the forensic evidence. Of course, if you can provide proof that Martin is guilty of some wrongdoing, I'd certainly concede that I would stand corrected. Have you such evidence to share?
Another fib that will be repeated by the gz is guilty mob.

Find a quote from O'Mara that gz's statemeents are contradictory or don't match the physical evidence. You can't.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 AM

39,792 posts, read 26,284,582 times
Quote:
Did you not get that at that point he had gotten out of the vehicle, and it was clear he was following on foot? Not in his vehicle?

And no, I didn't "listen to the transcript." I have listened to the recording, and I have read the transcript, but I haven't listened to the transcript.
Don't confuse a racist with facts. Bad Bill, bad...

Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,379,255 times
Quote:
I can't have conversations with people who continually try to twist what I say.
Never did I say that defending yourself by killing someone should not be questioned. In fact, I quite specifically said exactly the opposite. Go back & read it.

Below is what you said.

Quote:
I believe all of us have "the right" to protect our own lives, regardless of any rule regulation or law anyone tries to use to limit our ability to do so. If a man is having his head pounded into the ground, he isn't thinking about exhausting every single option short of killing his attacker; he's thinking about making that pounding stop because it's surely going to kill him if it happens too many more times. After the fact, might he wish he had been able to shoot the attacker non-lethally? Probably. But in the heat of the moment, is that really an option?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:42 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,379,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Don't confuse a racist with facts. Bad Bill, bad...
Who are you calling a racist?

This incident is not about racism, no hate crime has been charged.

IMO, the real reason for such strong support of Zimmerman is NRA. Racism is not the issue.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,461,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
AND, this:

Martin is NOT on trial.
Though you won't like it, tm will be somewhat on trial.

gz's 911 call will be evidence. His statements about 'suspicious' 'on drugs or something' will be at issue. The thc in tm's blood test is related. Whether comments he allegedly made on his alleged facebook site will be admitted, I don't know.

I haven't paid much attention to this purple drank stuff.

Who knows what else about tm could be brought up if it relates to violence, fighting, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies