Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,875,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Another 100% correct post.
Of course the supporters of innocent individuals being locked up in jail will continue to claim there is some magical piece of evidence, that is being hidden from us all, that will produce a reverse Perry Mason moment and get a conviction.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,918,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Of course the supporters of innocent individuals being locked up in jail will continue to claim there is some magical piece of evidence, that is being hidden from us all, that will produce a reverse Perry Mason moment and get a conviction.
I'm just curious, so indulge me....

Why is it that when posters like Jan say GZ is guilty, she is told "let the system work." But when you say he's innocent, even though there hasn't been a trial, it's different.

You either believe the system works or you don't. So there's just one more contradiction. I keep finding so many of them on this thread.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm just curious, so indulge me....

Why is it that when posters like Jan say GZ is guilty, she is told "let the system work." But when you say he's innocent, even though there hasn't been a trial, it's different.

You either believe the system works or you don't. So there's just one more contradiction. I keep finding so many of them on this thread.
Would you like to be locked up on frivolous charges and held in jail until a jury finds you innocent?

The fact is the Martin family did not believe the system was working before the media got involved.

I do not believe there should be political prisoners in America.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Would you like to be locked up on frivolous charges and held in jail until a jury finds you innocent?

The fact is the Martin family did not believe the system was working before the media got involved.
No, but I wouldn't have lied to a judge about my assets.

It wasn't just the Martin family who wanted an arrest, but I guess every time I quote people like Jeb Bush who said he was surprised Zimmerman was not arrested after the shooting, it goes right over your head or you choose to ignore me.

If I walk into a store and kill everyone, so nobody sees me, can I then tell the cops my life was in danger? Of course not. Zimmerman didn't have any witnesses, so you are saying it means he should go free. There are numerous crimes without any eyewitnesses. Usually the suspected killer isn't set free based on shaky statements to the police.

The only reason Zimmerman is sitting in jail is because he committed perjury.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:47 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,403,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
valarie is 100% correct. And before you spew, yes, I've been on jury duty a half dozen times on everything from civil to murder 1.

People lie all the time, both to get out of and on jury duty. I thought everybody knew that. I was wrong about that, obviously. Someone's been watching way too much Perry Mason type TV.

Yes, ignorance is rampant.
And how many years have you worked in the justice system in the courtroom? I suppose you think that attorneys and judges are too ignorant to ask questions which expose biases during jury selection. Do you think all citizens can out-smart attorneys and judges in their own arena? Sure, some people do lie, but not everyone selected to be on a jury is a liar and a cheat. That means the best a crooked juror can do is cause a mistrial. However, I guess those folks who are enormously cynical and perhaps not all that honest would think everyone selected for a jury would be a cheat.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
And of course there are large numbers of people who have no idea that presenting a case to a jury requires strategy and not necessarily some "magical piece of evidence." How many cases have you prepared for trial? Who is Perry Mason? Still don't remember when you last consulted with the State Attorney's office about this case and their strategy, or reviewed their case file?

Old 06-24-2012, 03:55 PM

Anyone with any snap can hide their biases when asked questions. Not wanting to be on a jury I would probably be sure mine were discovered. Of course, I have found that dressing overly casually will almost certainly get you kicked off in Harris County. Been to several jury selections and notice individuals in jeans seldom end up on the jury.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And of course there are large numbers of people who have no idea that presenting a case to a jury requires strategy and not necessarily some "magical piece of evidence." How many cases have you prepared for trial? Who is Perry Mason? Still don't remember when you last consulted with the State Attorney's office about this case and their strategy, or reviewed their case file?
Never consulted with the State Attorney on any of the cases that have been widely publicized in the last couple decades. Yet, I was right from the beginning on every case, even when the jury got it wrong. If the evidence to convict was there we would know it by now. I got a degree in economics. When discussing economic issues I do not declare others should get one before declaring the facts as they see them.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Never consulted with the State Attorney on any of the cases that have been widely publicized in the last couple decades. Yet, I was right from the beginning on every case, even when the jury got it wrong. If the evidence to convict was there we would know it by now. I got a degree in economics. When discussing economic issues I do not declare others should get one before declaring the facts as they see them.
Interesting. You have a degree in economics and you continue to declare, unequivocally, that there is no evidence to convict in this case beyond a reasonable doubt. Who knew that one received a functional crystal ball with an economics degree? You declarations would sound less like propaganda if you would simply qualify them with IN MY OPINION. Because it is only your opinion if you have not been privy to the State's case file and have no clue what their strategy will be, how they will present the case, how convincing their witnesses will be, nor many other factors which play a big part in convictions and acquittals.

BA or BS degree?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:09 PM

Oklahoma must have a lot of trials. I've lived in Florida since 1994 and I've received 5 summons. In fact, I just got one asking me to appear in Sarasota on July 16. Two times I was told by a recording that I didn't need to appear. Every jury summons has instructions to call after 5 on the evening before to check for changes. Twice I sat in the Fort Myers Court House for about 4 hours until I was dismissed. The last one I got (which was only last week) is for July and I'll let you know what happens. In other words, being called for jury duty means very little. In Florida it means you have a driver's license.
Quote:
Anyone with any snap can hide their biases when asked questions. Not wanting to be on a jury I would probably be sure mine were discovered. Of course, I have found that dressing overly casually will almost certainly get you kicked off in Harris County. Been to several jury selections and notice individuals in jeans seldom end up on the jury.
Really? You obviously don't live in Florida! People show up at weddings in flip-flops! Heck, that's often fancier than the bride who is barefoot!

The summons does say, however, that I cannot wear shorts or flip-flops. So this must be a formal jury. LOL Seriously, I worked in retail for many years in SWFL and people stroll in wearing bathing suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.