Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times

Advertisements

Fear factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Because the people that have hoarded the gold want to dump it before the price collapses and Fox Noise reaches a very gullible population.

When everyone is selling something it is a very poor time to buy. Remember all the ads a few years ago for people wanting to buy Gold. Well these guys are now selling for a reason. The reason is today's speculative prices are not sustainable.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
You advertise with the crowd, like how there are no black males or females on Bachelor and Bachelorette. ABC is just catering to racist neo-progressive 20 and 30 somethings. They're thinking "what kind of bizarre fairy tale would include non-whites"?

Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Gold is what the world's economy is primarily based on. It is a scarce commodity and its exchange value is set by countries for exchange rates both within and between countries. See "the Gold Standard" for a good explanation Gold Standard: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty

Fiscal Conservatives and people who understand economics also understand the fragility and undulating irregularity of the dollar (also yuan, euro, etc). The current economic situation not only in the US but worldwide, has caused people and even governments to invest in gold (and to a lesser extent, silver and other scarce metals) as a hedge against inflation. Why Are the Chinese Buying Record Quantities of Gold? - Forbes

The problem with gold is that it does not accumulate interest; it cannot be readily exchanged or sold as land or bonds are, and so it is a poor investment for banks who must maintain fluidity. For individual hoarders, it is not easily transported nor 'cashed in'; it is difficult to take a gold bar to the grocery store and expect to buy a week's worth of groceries and expect change back. Moreover, I recall how, in a similar hysteria in the early 80's, people were frantically purchasing gold at rapidly escalating rates - and then the bottom fell out of the market. However, some states (Idaho in particular) are passing laws where gold and silver are considered mediums of exchange, readily usable for purchases from everything from land to food.

I have many friends who are purchasing gold and silver as a hedge against escalating inflation. I cheer them on (anyone who saves, or invests in their own future instead of blowing their entire cashflow immediately should be encouraged) however, I do not.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Occasionally I will listen to conservative radio or watch Fox News, and something I have noticed is that there are frequent advertisements for investing in gold. I don't see or hear advertisements for this on other channels or stations, so I am curious as to why that is. Also, do you personally think that investing in gold is a good idea?
I see ads like this ALL OVER including the local newspaper (very left leaning) and TV ads like the gold mailer and so forth.

The bubble has been hyped to death.

If you want to buy high and sell low....by all means jump into gold now.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
SCG - Gold has not been a currency standard for a very long time. It is just another commodity that speculators love to play with because it brings in suckers by the thousands.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Read the links, GregW....

Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I hear it on news radio, too...not political.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I think most of it comes down to the right wing propaganda outlets play to the most simple of human emotions with hate and fear. They are always spreading crap that the nation is going to implode, there is going to be riots in the street, mass chaos could break out at any moment etc,.They also propagate that gold is going to be the only useful commodity.
Beck was notorious for all this "the end is near!" crap, and would push his crap on his gullible viewers like his books, food insurance, and of course gold.

What would you recommend we invest in ?

Chevy Volts ?

Solar Panel Stock ?

Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Why are there so many advertisements for investing in gold on Conservative radio and Fox News?
Because the viewers and listeners of that media are the ones who have the wealth to buy the gold. Not too difficult to understand why the advertising is concentrated there ... if, in fact, it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies