Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 PM

39 posts, read 154,312 times

Advertisements

You people are funny. I think if politicians as used car salesmen. They are all slimy and should definitely be suspect at all times. It doesn't matter democrat or republican. There is immorality on both sides. The problem isn't the political party, the problem is the type of people that politics attract.

Quick Enough is dropping stats like he is playing fantasy baseball or something (I only point out quick enoguh because it is the last post I saw before writing this). You people need to wake up and smell the roses. democrats and republicans are not the problem. politicians and talking heads, like Maher and the Nuge, are the problem. They play this polarizing game that makes people get on the internet and create 20 page long threads about things that do not matter and will never be resolved instead of focusing their attention on important matters like the NDAA, the deficit, and job creation. Just like my earlier post said, this debate is pointless.

IMO, hold them all accountable and to a higher standard than the rest of us. Hold the standard so high that they break and then have to elect new people regularly because no one could stand being an elected official for more than a term or two. Turn being an elected official into a person wanting to do their civic duty rather than just being the last thing on the checklist before becoming a lobbyist. Treat them like the public servants they are instead of as celebrities. If I have to hear one more campaign talking point from a politician on either side I might puke. Political campaigns are about as real as reality TV.

And last but not least, stop watching the news and talk radio. No matter if you watch MSNBC or Fox, its all propaganda for one side or the other. Journalism is dead in America. It is sad to say, but the most balanced view I see of the news is "The Daily Show", and that is a comedy program!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Romney started STAPLES.

Staples employs over 70,000 people.

And he meant firing government officials that aren't worth a damn.
I guess one of us has to do some more research to see how many people also lost jobs when Bain Capital decided to restructure their companies. When you get all those numbers together, let me know. Have fun!

Well, I'll give you a helpful start. T be fair, Romney's investment firm did put a lot of money into Staples and other companies. However, he didn't start Staples as you claim. How much he contributed to creating jobs vs is very debatable. What's funny is that even Romney disagrees with Romney! As pointed out [URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/mitt-romney-and-100000-jobs-an-untenable-figure/2012/01/09/gIQAIoihmP_blog.html"]here.[/URL]

Interestingly, when Romney ran for the Senate in 1994, his campaign only claimed he had created 10,000 jobs. In one ad, a narrator said: “Mitt Romney has spent his life building more than 20 businesses and helping to create more than 10,000 jobs. So when it comes to creating jobs, he's not just talk. He's done it.”

So I guess he's also taking credit for jobs created when he was no longer involved in these companies. During this period, how many jobs were lost at other companies?

I suppose it's a matter of perception. I know a man who made a lot of money in the restaurant business. He had a friend who was having financial problems, so he bought a very large share of his restaurant. The restaurant thrived because of the very hard work of the owner, the managers, the chefs and other company employees. After a few years, the restaurant expanded and he eventually sold his share in it.

Would you say he started the restaurant? Was a key employee who contributed to its success?

It's true that Romney made some very smart decisions when investing in companies, but he also was responsible for a lot of people who got fired when some of those companies downsized.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-19-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I guess you'll need to do some more research to see how many people also lost jobs when Bain Capital decided to restructure their companies. When you get all those numbers together, let me know. Have fun!

Well, I'll give you a helpful start. Romney's investment firm did put a lot of money into Staples and other companies, to be fair. However, he didn't start Staples as you claim. How much he contributed to creating jobs vs is very debatable. What's funny is that even Romney disagrees with Romney! As pointed out here.

Interestingly, when Romney ran for the Senate in 1994, his campaign only claimed he had created 10,000 jobs. In one ad, a narrator said: “Mitt Romney has spent his life building more than 20 businesses and helping to create more than 10,000 jobs. So when it comes to creating jobs, he's not just talk. He's done it.â€

So I guess he's also taking credit for jobs created when he was no longer involved in these companies. During this period, how many hobs were lost?

I suppose it's a matter of one's perception. I know a man who made a lot of money in the restaurant business. He had a friend who was having financial problems, so he bought a very large share of his restaurant. The restaurant thrived because of the very hard work of the owner, the managers, the chefs and other company employees. After a few years, the restaurant expanded and he eventually sold his share in it.

Would you say he started the restaurant? Was a key employee who contributed to its success?

I've learned enough about Romney.
I've learned enough about Obama.

Obama is an idiot.

After the Supreme Court declares the Obamacare mandate unconstitutional - all Romney will have to do is repeal the rest of the crap in it.

The instant Romney is elected - the business community across America will give a big sigh of relief. That will be the effect of just kicking Barack out.

Then undo every bone headed thing Obama and his czars have inflicted on us.
America will prosper quickly.

And your children and grandchildren won't be born with a national debt which will never be able to be paid off - if Barack were given another four years. Women care about kids right?

Your restaurant story is not Romney's story. And it wouldn't matter to me if it were.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
I've learned enough about Romney.
I've learned enough about Obama.

Obama is an idiot.

After the Supreme Court declares the Obamacare mandate unconstitutional - all Romney will have to do is repeal the rest of the crap in it.

The instant Romney is elected - the business community across America will give a big sigh of relief. That will be the effect of just kicking Barack out.

Then undo every bone headed thing Obama and his czars have inflicted on us.
America will prosper quickly.

And your children and grandchildren won't be born with a national debt which will never be able to be paid off - if Barack were given another four years. Women care about kids right?

Your restaurant story is not Romney's story. And it wouldn't matter to me if it were.
If you think that the economy is gonna do a 360 ASAP if Mittens is elected, I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
It's true that Romney made some very smart decisions when investing in companies, but he also was responsible for a lot of people who got fired when some of those companies downsized.
Who has guarantees in life?

My company got downsized. 25 of us lost our jobs.

I can hardly blame Romney for that.

But I can blame Obama's policies.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
The right-wingers on this board love to compare Bill Maher with Ted Nugent. They say President Obama needs to denounce Bill Maher.

1. Obama never courted Bill Maher for his backing and Obama never publicly stated how much he appreciated Maher's support. Romney did court Nugent and said how "fun" it was to get to know the nut-job Nugent.

2. Bill Maher says things that may offend some, but he doesn't allude to violence--calling someone a c%^& isn't the same as saying that the sitting president should "suck on his machine gun" as Nugent said.

3. Bill Maher is actually funny and intelligent. Nugent has the maturity of an eleven year old boy, isn't funny and trades in dangerous rhetoric.

I suspect that most of the right-wingers have never even seen Bill Maher.

Here's a clip of the latest episode:

HBO: Real Time with Bill Maher: Homepage
I'm certain most conservatives couldn't care less how Obama treats Mahers' comments. Most "right wingers" have seen Maher and routinely check in with CNBC and MSNBC to watch the freak shows. I find liberal spin shows to be quite amusing.

Quote:
I'd have to say that's a positive if in the process of saving a company he saved more jobs than he lost. Wouldn't that be a net gain of jobs?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
If you think that the economy is gonna do a 360 ASAP if Mittens is elected, I have a bridge to sell you.
Selling bridges would be stimulative. See - the future is getting brighter already.

Maybe you could sell me Florida's bullet train instead. Oh wait, that will never exist because it would be a waste of taxpayer money. And never be able to be supported for lack of passengers. That's how Obama approaches business.

Last edited by Yooperkat; 04-19-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM

24 posts, read 42,390 times
Quote:
Obama claims to be a Christian - Why don't you worry about that?
Because I believe that a religion (*cult*ahem) that had racist doctrine until 1976, who's recent (200 yrs i believe) leaders in this country are famous for polygamy, is a bigger deal than whatever religion Obama follows.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I find it absolutely astounding that the poster in question cannot differentiate between the 2 age classes in question, and that one is illegal, and the other isnt.
So, when you were 17 you dated 17 yr olds. Now that's as boring as it gets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I know!

Really, what's up with that?
A lot of 17 yr old girl's don't date guys their own age, get real. 25 yr old girls can be just as naive as 17 yr olds. I've seen 17 year olds who knew much more about life than 25 yr olds women.

I'd bet your both okay with that 17 yr old girl having an abortion, just don't date an older guy in his 20's. Girl's never lie about their age either.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM

576 posts, read 586,057 times
They're both "entertainers" that only ever talk politics and spout rhetoric for opposite sides. At least Nugent can play a guitar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies