Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:36 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times

Advertisements

"Nathan Pemberton, a third-grader at West Elementary School in Colorado Springs, was suspended Tuesday following a physical altercation with another student, Fox affiliate KDVR-TV reported."
"One kid kicked me in the back, then punched me in the face. Then I punched him in the face and then I got in trouble," the boy told the station."

"If a student is involved in a physical altercation on school property, they are automatically suspended," the statement said. "District 11 schools employ many anti-bullying teaching techniques … and none of these methods include violence or retaliation."

Read more: Colorado boy says he was suspended for standing up to bully who was attacking him | Fox News

Absurd. One of the reasons to get your kids out of the public school system. Times are crazy and its probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Times are crazy?

People act like this is a new policy.

THis has been going on for at least 20 years.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
And for 20 years it's been a ludicrous policy.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Times are crazy?

People act like this is a new policy.

THis has been going on for at least 20 years.
Zero Tolerance? Kids not allowed to defend themselves? Immediate suspension?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
I was going to say the same thing - I always got sent to detention for defending myself - I got into fights - but never started any of them - if you hit me then you got hit back. Somehow the teacher and/or principal never saw the first blow being thrown but always saw me throw a punch.

Got ISS once or twice - but never outright suspended.

The school should investigate to determine who started the altercation - punishing the kid who was defending himself solves nothing - he will be targeted again - and will end up being labeled as a troublemaker while the real problem kids continue on a path that will end in a prison cell.

Last edited by Harrier; 04-19-2012 at 03:56 PM..

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Yes.

I specifically remember our guidance counsulars in middle school having an assembly and stating that anyone who throws a hit in a fight, even if defending themselves, would be automatically suspended, with no question.

It's good then that I was so involved in martial arts, because everyone was too afraid to pick a fight with me.

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Yes, it's not anything new.

Similar incident happened to my son in middle school over a decade ago. Principal got an earful from me, and then some.

Looks like many people are seriously rethinking their support of it:

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/res.../zero143.shtml

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...mGH_story.html

http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/nu...uspending-hope

Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
It comes down to one 3rd graders word against another. That's the crux and why schools do things the way they do. If my son got suspended for punching someone who "started it" I'd just roll with it but let the school know that if anyone went after my son again on their watch there would be trouble.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Why don't more parents sue the heck out of their child's school for things like this? Every child has a right to defend him or herself against physical harm, and no child should be unfairly punished for self-defense. It's a wonder that lawyers aren't having a field day with this - just think of all those deep pockets they could raid...lol.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Quote:
One of the reasons to get your kids out of the public school system.
Quite a few private schools will summarily expel students for "fighting," without much regard as to who started what or why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies