Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,950,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Most of Beverly Hills and Santa Monica don't vaccinate their children at all and the kids go to school with such papers.
Would you happen to have a cite of sorts for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You and your first! Probably by these vaccines.

Some have merit, some are total BS.

We gave hour 3 year old some, and others like the sexually transmitted disease ones to toddlers was rediculous.
I don't want my kids to die of any vaccine preventable disease. Tell me which ones you want yours to die of.

If you're talking about Hepatitis B (the only VPD given to kids that young that is sexually transmitted [among other modes of transmission]), about 30% of cases of Hep B have NO KNOWN TRANSMISSION SOURCE!

Why is Hepatitis B Immunization Recommended for All Infants, Children, and Adolescents? - Immunization Issue

Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,149,653 times
A link showing all the vaccines available to children in the UK.

Childhood vaccines - Vaccinations guide - NHS Choices

None are compulsory. It is illegal to inject a child without a parents consent and a parent is not obliged to let it happen if they do not wish it.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 AM

1,187 posts, read 994,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Measles cases reached 15-year high in 2011 – - CNN.com Blogs

So you bought into the autism scare study. You know, the one that the British plaintiffs attorneys secretly paid for and has now been utterly debunked.

What do you tell your kid with Measles? You just couldn't help from listening to such luminaries as Jenny McCarthy and conspiracy blogs?

Because while vaccines aren't perfect, the alternative is a return to an era where many died of childhood diseases that are essentially unheard of in the US.

Any reformed anti-vaccinaters in the house or know any?
If you think that autism was the only reason people didn't vaccinate then you have not done any research on the subject. LONG before autism was the flavor of the month diagnosis there were reasons to not vaccinate. Autims is actually one of the "nicer" problems associated with vaccines. So to me, that was always a rediculous reason not to vaccinate. Hell, after doing plenty of research before my kids were born, even DEATH was one of the "nicer" problems associated with vaccinations.

The CDC has had the VAERS in place since the 1970's. Because they aren't as safe as doctors and the CDC would like us to believe. As a parent, we each have to make decisions that affect our children. Some of those decisions have the potential to be life threatening. And whether you do or do not vaccinate, either decision could be life threatening. I just didn't see the potential benefits of vaccines as out weighting the potential risks.

Based on my own research, long before Jenny Mccarthy or anyone else made it controversial, I decided that the risks that were presented by the vaccines were far greater than the risks of my children getting the diseases they were supposed to protect against. Especially when you consider that the vaccines are only 50- 60% effective... then the potential good that the vaccines are supposed to do are no where NEAR the potential risks.

I don't think any parent who follows their doctors advice blindly without doing any research is being a bad parent. So why should anyone think that I am being a bad parent for doing a large amount of research on the topic and coming to my own conclusions?

And my children have never had measles or any other childhood disease or ever been exposed to them... so really I think my decisions have proven out just fine. They are also extremely healthy teen agers now. They know exactly why I never vaccinated them, because unlike a lot of parents, I actually talk to my kids and explain to them my reasoning behind my decisions.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM

1,187 posts, read 994,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't want my kids to die of any vaccine preventable disease. Tell me which ones you want yours to die of.

If you're talking about Hepatitis B (the only VPD given to kids that young that is sexually transmitted [among other modes of transmission]), about 30% of cases of Hep B have NO KNOWN TRANSMISSION SOURCE!

Why is Hepatitis B Immunization Recommended for All Infants, Children, and Adolescents? - Immunization Issue
And I don't want my children to die from the vaccines themselves, or worse! Which ones do you want YOUR children to die from... or worse. There are much much worse things than death... and it's not autism!

Last edited by Wyndsong71; 04-20-2012 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: mispelled word

Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM

37,120 posts, read 42,178,043 times
There are things in life you can't "sign a paper" and get away with. Some college, some travel, some business. It's up to you as parents to a point. Then your kids are 18 and you are SOOL. Believe it or not there are places and people who don't give a hoot what your objections are and no law they have to follow.

I hope your kids don't get sick. More importantly, I hope they don't get someone else sick who has a compromised immune system. That would make them and you responsibile.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
If you think that autism was the only reason people didn't vaccinate then you have not done any research on the subject. LONG before autism was the flavor of the month diagnosis there were reasons to not vaccinate. Autims is actually one of the "nicer" problems associated with vaccines. So to me, that was always a rediculous reason not to vaccinate. Hell, after doing plenty of research before my kids were born, even DEATH was one of the "nicer" problems associated with vaccinations.

The CDC has had the VAERS in place since the 1970's. Because they aren't as safe as doctors and the CDC would like us to believe. As a parent, we each have to make decisions that affect our children. Some of those decisions have the potential to be life threatening. And whether you do or do not vaccinate, either decision could be life threatening. I just didn't see the potential benefits of vaccines as out weighting the potential risks.

Based on my own research, long before Jenny Mccarthy or anyone else made it controversial, I decided that the risks that were presented by the vaccines were far greater than the risks of my children getting the diseases they were supposed to protect against. Especially when you consider that the vaccines are only 50- 60% effective... then the potential good that the vaccines are supposed to do are no where NEAR the potential risks.

I don't think any parent who follows their doctors advice blindly without doing any research is being a bad parent. So why should anyone think that I am being a bad parent for doing a large amount of research on the topic and coming to my own conclusions?

And my children have never had measles or any other childhood disease or ever been exposed to them... so really I think my decisions have proven out just fine. They are also extremely healthy teen agers now. They know exactly why I never vaccinated them, because unlike a lot of parents, I actually talk to my kids and explain to them my reasoning behind my decisions.
So many falsehoods, I don't know where to start. I will say what I've said many times before on these threads. I have worked in pediatrics and public health for most of my "illustrious" nursing career, over 40 years now. The organizations I have worked for have probably been responsible for over 1 million doses of vaccine given, while I have been in their employ. Right now, I work for a pediatric office that gives about 50 doses of vaccine a day! I have never seen any of the cataclysmic reactions that the anti-vaccine literature talks about. The worst I have seen is a kid sneezing uncontrollably after a chickenpox vaccine, indicating (per the attending physician) that he was probably allergic to some component of the vaccine. I've seen and heard of fevers, sore arms, a few cases of fainting, rash after the MMR vaccine.

You're correct, many illnesses have been attributed to vaccines, back to the days of the introduction of the smallpox vaccine. Many people simply don't like seeing their kids get shots and think it's preferable for them to get sick instead. They don't realize that with many of these diseases, they'll get a lot more shots (IVs, etc) if they get them than if they don't!

I think anyone who calls reading anti-immunization websites "research" is a bad parent. The science is not in dispute, despite what a pig farmer in England (whaleto) or a Playboy Bunny (Jenny McCarthy) or a quack who had designs on making a fortune on his own vaccines (Wakefield) say.

Re: the bold-don't break your neck falling off your high horse.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
And I don't want my children to die from the vaccines themselves, or worse! Which ones do you want YOUR children to die from... or worse. There are much much worse things than death... and it's not autism!
My kids have had all the routine vaccines and guess what, they're alive and healthy. Post some links about documented deaths from vaccines.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 AM

37,120 posts, read 42,178,043 times
When it comes to deadly communicable disease then herd immunity trumps personal ideals. That's just a fact.

I don't care if all kids get vaccinated for every little thing if it's only their health at risk.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,190,838 times
Quote:
Because there is so much quackery information available for consumption so people who think they are smarter than they are (or the medical community) end up making poor decisions with their unfortunate children bearing the risk. Kinda like you.

Quote:
And my children have never had measles or any other childhood disease or ever been exposed to them... so really I think my decisions have proven out just fine.
I don't wear a seat belt and have never been injured in a car accident... so I really think my decisions have proven out just fine. Nobody should wear seat belts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies