Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
If this disturbs you address the problem with your co-worker if that doesn't work step up to your supervisor.
This should be the first thing anyone does in this situation, but somehow it is the least mentioned option on this thread..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Isn't this sexual harassment in the work place?

Thought this would be an interesting thread.
do the jokes offend you? do the jokes create a hostile work environment? if the answer to both of these questions is yes, then talk to the middle or upper management about the situation. be prepared to bring some evidence with you though so solidify your case.

the other thing you need to do is make sure you have not made similar jokes in the past.

if the situation does not stop, then talk to the EEOC about the issue and have them talk to the management of the business. if nothing changes that time, them go to court.

in the mean time document EVERYTHING, and keep copies for yourself and supply copies to the management and the EEOC as needed.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
What do these women look like? Hot, no harrassment...Not Hot, certainly that would be harrassment.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:40 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Isn't this sexual harassment in the work place?

Thought this would be an interesting thread.
Although I think this is a troll thread I'll try to throw in some common sense.

Just follow the procedure ANYONE would follow in the workplace.

Go to your Human Resources and state your complaint.

A serious, professional HR department will take it seriously because those kinds of jokes are not appropriate for the workplace.

If nothing is done and the inappropriate comments continue you may go higher in the company.

You may hire an arrorney.

You may sue if nothing is done and you are forced to quit.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
If I worked for you and you had some stupid biblical calendar nonsense hanging on the wall I would have just ripped it down and set fire to it in the middle of the office and saved you the trouble of contacting your HR department.
The workplace should be free of moronic religious garbage!
And I would have had you thrown in jail for arson. The workplace should be free of moronic felons.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
This.

Perhaps you have some bent up crude jokes about vaginas you can shoot right back at them?

I'm sure if they're weird enough to make jokes about penises at work they'd be able to take it.

If not, you have a perfectly good defense.

I.E. - What's the big deal?
As a former CEO and President I advise against this. You will lose. Every time.

Either report it or ignore it. If the comments are directed at you, report it.

There is a huge double standard when it comes to this activity. Don't let it perpetuate. Trust the guy who had hundreds of employees.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
its a strange thing. the EEOC world. brushing up against u, sexual open ended remarks, pushups in front of u on the desk leaning towards u, leaning way back in chair giving free beaver shots and rubbing knees with u, all of the above perfectly ok. but if a wasp guy ever touches her or says anything, God help him. oddly this card is never played on AA males, ever. and believe me lots of remarks and touching.
nothing but giggles result. 25 years of observing EEOC selective enforcement. games people play.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:34 PM

576 posts, read 585,935 times
Make fun of their FUPAs

Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 PM

566 posts, read 958,003 times
OP, you should sue. Most women would take something like this (even though it's not a big deal at all) extremely seriously so you should too. If I were you, I'd give them a taste of their own medicine for a change.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its a strange thing. the EEOC world. brushing up against u, sexual open ended remarks, pushups in front of u on the desk leaning towards u, leaning way back in chair giving free beaver shots and rubbing knees with u, all of the above perfectly ok. but if a wasp guy ever touches her or says anything, God help him. oddly this card is never played on AA males, ever. and believe me lots of remarks and touching.
nothing but giggles result. 25 years of observing EEOC selective enforcement. games people play.
A decade or so ago, I had a female employee who was on a step ladder hanging artwork. She was assisted by another employee, who was male. As he stood on the floor watching and eyeballing the piece to make sure it was level, she lost her balance and fell to the floor. The male employee attempted to soften the fall by reactively throwing his arms out to catch her. She filed an HR complaint alleging that he wasn't trying to catch her, he was actually trying to grab her breasts.

That this lady believed such a thing happened intentionally completely floored me. I still shake my head to this day about how she handled that situation.

The stress of that complaint caused a very good employee to leave to go work elsewhere. She ultimately dropped the grievance because he left. I believed him 100% when he said he didn't even think he just reacted to her falling.

It's these types of incidents that make me feel overly pessimistic about American culture sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies