Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
...in fact, the lady did stay in her original seat for an hour or more. But then, as you said, she might have been thought to be "rude" by moving. On the other hand, staying where she was (possibly all the way to Chicago) would have made her feel "awkward".....no simple answers, I'm afraid....
You're so sensible.

You really need to take more drugs, or get drunk, or get hit in the head with a sledge hammer... It's disturbing to read such consistently reasonable posts from anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 11:00 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
You're so sensible.

You really need to take more drugs, or get drunk, or get hit in the head with a sledge hammer... It's disturbing to read such consistently reasonable posts from anyone.
Thanks, Harvester. With your giant "Intellectual Combine", you are indeed cutting a "wide swath" through tangled fields of ignorance, toppling the "stalks" if intolerance. (Don't worry, I won't make any "cereal killer" jokes)-Harvester, indeed-----

Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Ugh, there's nothing worse than sitting in the middle of a group of people who all know each other and you don't. They talk over you and act like you are invisible or deaf or something.
Yeah, it's like going to a party at your in-laws.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Ugh, there's nothing worse than sitting in the middle of a group of people who all know each other and you don't. They talk over you and act like you are invisible or deaf or something. That's reason enough to move.
Roger that!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah, it's like going to a party at your in-laws.
It's also like being the only person without a cellphone in the Seattle airport.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Have no idea about the racism but I believe what you may have seen was Mennonites and not Amish, as anyone who is a devout Amish would not be on a train. I could be wrong of course, but I have some Mennonite friends and there is a difference, though the dress is close to the same.
Amish people are allowed to go places on any form of transit, they are just not allowed to drive. When there are farm functions (There are organizations that provide farm tours to other farmers to get an idea how each other's practices are diffrent with whats good and whats not) and the amish go to those, usually in 12 person vans. They don't drive them, they have someone drive them that isn't amish.

I'm fairly certain they are used to it. They know what the "other side" lives like because in their teens there is a period where they live like "normal" people (whatever that means) and then they make their judgement to become amish or to live like the rest of society. They are aware that there are very large diffrences in lifestyle and I'm certain they are used to being looked at odd.

Also, Amish speak a dialect of german. It's not exactly the same as german german, but it's vaguely understandable. Like someone with a super thick southern accent trying to talk to someone from scotland. You could do it, but it would be very very hard.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:16 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
That is a long train ride. I would have tried to start a conversation but if I were ignored I would move to a group where I could start a conversation. If I got annoyed I would ask the first penguin why they dressed so funny.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I'm fairly certain they are used to it. They know what the "other side" lives like because in their teens there is a period where they live like "normal" people (whatever that means) and then they make their judgement to become amish or to live like the rest of society. They are aware that there are very large diffrences in lifestyle and I'm certain they are used to being looked at odd.

Also, Amish speak a dialect of german. It's not exactly the same as german german, but it's vaguely understandable. Like someone with a super thick southern accent trying to talk to someone from scotland. You could do it, but it would be very very hard.
Also they do often speak Germanic or "Plautdietsch" which I believe is a Swiss dialect of Germanic.

The term anabaptist was used to describe and define certain Christians during the Reformation.

These Christians rejected infant baptism, choosing instead believer's baptism.

Since many of them had been baptized in their infancy, they chose to be rebaptized as believing adults.

So their enemies called them anabaptists -- "re-baptizers."

They do practice a ritual in which the young go out into the world of the, "english" and live for a period of time, if they then choose to remain members of the church and community they are then baptized as a young adult, when they have consciously accepted Jesus as their savior.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 PM

26 posts, read 88,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Doe this story show prejudice, on mine or anyone's part? Is "curiosity" an allowable trait? Can anyone relate this story to similar "cultural gaps"?---let's hear some feedback.....
My opinion! No I see no racial bias at all in your story. The "black woman" as you identify her was simply more comfortable being in another area of the train.

Sometimes we make a mountain out of a moe hill!

Have a great day,
Zman

Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
Default great story

Overall, a very nice and a very interesting story - thanks for posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies