Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times

Advertisements

Being in business I find this mantra chanted by some confusing, so lower taxes lead straight to more jobs even if there is no demand for the product or services one is hoping to offer ?

Why the confusion, lower taxes do not lead straight to more jobs unless one can find the customers willing to purchase one's product or service, no demand, why would one employ people ?

If lower taxes leads to people buying cars made and assembled in Germany with the cash in their pocket how does that help a bloke looking for a job ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
You prefer the government tax the money away from the private sector and give it to friends? More money in the private sector means more resources to innovate and make improvements.
FWIW many foriegn automakers have production plants here and their sales and service departments also employ Americans.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 PM

867 posts, read 498,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Being in business I find this mantra chanted by some confusing, so lower taxes lead straight to more jobs even if there is no demand for the product or services one is hoping to offer ?

Why the confusion, lower taxes do not lead straight to more jobs unless one can find the customers willing to purchase one's product or service, no demand, why would one employ people ?

If lower taxes leads to people buying cars made and assembled in Germany with the cash in their pocket how does that help a bloke looking for a job ?
He can unload them at the dock.

The velocity of money grows the economy. Putting money into the sewer of govt., does far more harm than good.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
30 years of attempting supply side economics and it hasn't worked, ever. Even Reagan and Bush 1 realized it and started raising taxes.

The Laffer curve was only good for one thing, making a person with any knowledge of math or simple economics let loose a big belly laugh.

It's a feast for wingnuts and rich people trying to lower their tax rates. If you are not rich and are pushing this ideal then you need your head examined.

It's not a young theory. It used to be called "The Horse and Sparrow Theory". Basically you feed the horse so much that it craps out more oats for the sparrow to eat.

So anyone that is poor just gets to eat the waste of the rich. Great way to treat other living things to make them eat your ****.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post

Lower taxes on business (trickle down economics)? No. You're right and for the reasons you mentioned.

Lower taxes on consumers? Yes, it will lead to job creation because if you put money in most peoples pockets, they'll spend it on discretionary items, creating demand and requiring new workers and facilities to meet the demand.

If they'd have just given all those billions of TARP and stimulus money to the people to spend, we wouldn't be in the mess now.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 PM

552 posts, read 738,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Lower taxes on business (trickle down economics)? No. You're right and for the reasons you mentioned.

Lower taxes on consumers? Yes, it will lead to job creation because if you put money in most peoples pockets, they'll spend it on discretionary items, creating demand and requiring new workers and facilities to meet the demand.

If they'd have just given all those billions of TARP and stimulus money to the people to spend, we wouldn't be in the mess now.
I mostly agree with what you said. I don't see where the bush tax cuts on the rich helped anyone but the rich, the payroll tax however has been helpful during the recovery. I do believe though that government jobs are a part of the economy and we have cut to many. I know there is government waste, but more teachers, cops, etc is only helpful to the economy. Most of my family work for the government in dc and they are successful, we don't need to hire millions, but should hire back what was cut.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I mostly agree with what you said. I don't see where the bush tax cuts on the rich helped anyone but the rich, the payroll tax however has been helpful during the recovery. I do believe though that government jobs are a part of the economy and we have cut to many. I know there is government waste, but more teachers, cops, etc is only helpful to the economy. Most of my family work for the government in dc and they are successful, we don't need to hire millions, but should hire back what was cut.
No we do not need more cops, fireman, teachers on the government dole. Sounds like you're advocating for an economy like Greece has.
Government workers produce nothingand only take from the economy.If its useful and needed it can be done in the private sector much more effectively.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 04-20-2012 at 11:48 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 PM

552 posts, read 738,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sounds like "most of your family" is part of our problem right now. No we do not need more cops, fireman, teachers on the government dole.
Government workers produce nothingand only take from the economy.If its useful and needed it can be done in the private sector much more effectively.
Yea my family is the problem considering they work for nsa protecting america against terrorism, so selfish of them. Your argument is so ridiculous that I'm not going to waste my breath...

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Yea my family is the problem considering they work for nsa protecting america against terrorism, so selfish of them. Your argument is so ridiculous that I'm not going to waste my breath...
We taxpayers need protection from them.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 PM

10 posts, read 19,170 times
No we do not need more cops, fireman, teachers on the government dole. Sounds like you're advocating for an economy like Greece has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies