Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:24 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,901,388 times

Advertisements

They have four kids in public school too - (with an average cost of public school in terms of taxpayer dollars in the US being $11,800 per year per child), so in addition to the $9,000 they are getting from the government every year in the form of a tax "refund". . .ha, ha ha, on taxes that were never paid, they also get $47,200 in free public schooling for the kids as well.

So the grand total is $56,200 per year. Not including any food stamps, medicaid, etc, etc

And it mentions that the money is used to make their "mortgage payment for the year". . . .so, great. They are homeowners too.

As usual. . . WTF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:47 PM

552 posts, read 736,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
And people wonder why we can't have a balanced budget and why the economy is depressed. The government is supporting the non-contributors.
This is a stupid argument, my wife and I made 70k last year and got 1200 in refunds with 0 kids. So that makes me a non contributor? The whole argument is flawed because if I didn't pay income tax on my earnings I still paid far more in payroll tax. If you aren't getting a refund you either don't know how the tax system works, or you make a whole lot of money. My brother and his wife make close to 100k and have one kid and still get a refund, so maybe you just need to educate yourself.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,950,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
According to liberals, this is what you call "fair."

All hail Liberalism!!!

Let's see, the EIC was enacted by a Republican President (Ford, 1975) and expanded by a Republican President (Reagan, 1986 - with help from a Republican Senate), by another Republican President (GHW Bush, 1990), a Democratic President (Clinton, 1993), and finally by a Republican House, Senate and Republican President in 2001 (GW Bush). Looks pretty bi-partisan to me. But then, unlike you I actually know what I'm talking about.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled sniveling about liberals ...

Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times
I have no problem with offering "stimulus payments" to those who actually work, but still earn poverty wages or below... since our nation can't seem to balance COL with low-level wages these days, I guess that's some consolation. And it's a proven fact that most people SPEND those refunds (often on frivolous items), so it really does have the potential to stimulate.

But you know what gets my goat? There was a year when I was unemployed for 8 months, and working at a low-ish wage for the other 4 months - taking in around $26K for the year, which is well below poverty in this region. But when I looked online to see if I'd qualify for the EIC, it said I didn't because I'm "single adult with no dependents." It wouldn't even have mattered if I only earned $10K, I'm excluded for not being a breeder! So I guess it's okay to let adults starve to death, even if they're working? Strange world we live in here. Thankfully I had other sources of money during that time, or I really would have been in trouble.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-21-2012 at 11:43 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 11:40 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
This is a stupid argument, my wife and I made 70k last year and got 1200 in refunds with 0 kids. So that makes me a non contributor? The whole argument is flawed because if I didn't pay income tax on my earnings I still paid far more in payroll tax. If you aren't getting a refund you either don't know how the tax system works, or you make a whole lot of money. My brother and his wife make close to 100k and have one kid and still get a refund, so maybe you just need to educate yourself.
Yep. I got approximately $1100 in annual refunds when I earned $60K, since I paid my taxes in full every month from the paycheck... as long as you're taking the proper number of deductions, don't have unreported (or cash-based) income, etc, you almost always get some kind of refund. Right now I'm paying back some old taxes from 2008, otherwise I'd be getting around a grand from this tax season. And yes, I do have a job!

Old 04-22-2012, 12:20 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,923,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The majority of union members are in the government now.

And why is it his boss's fault ? Why can't he get a better paying job instead and improve his skill's and abilities ?
That would require an investment of time and effort...

Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 AM

744 posts, read 810,162 times
Maybe I should reconsider waiting till 30 to have kids, may as well hop on the gravy train while it's still at the station

Old 04-22-2012, 04:41 AM

143 posts, read 121,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have no problem with offering "stimulus payments" to those who actually work, but still earn poverty wages or below... since our nation can't seem to balance COL with low-level wages these days, I guess that's some consolation. And it's a proven fact that most people SPEND those refunds (often on frivolous items), so it really does have the potential to stimulate.

But you know what gets my goat? There was a year when I was unemployed for 8 months, and working at a low-ish wage for the other 4 months - taking in around $26K for the year, which is well below poverty in this region. But when I looked online to see if I'd qualify for the EIC, it said I didn't because I'm "single adult with no dependents." It wouldn't even have mattered if I only earned $10K, I'm excluded for not being a breeder! So I guess it's okay to let adults starve to death, even if they're working? Strange world we live in here. Thankfully I had other sources of money during that time, or I really would have been in trouble.

sarcasm on/ But think of the children! Maybe you should have become a baby daddy instead because its more lucrative. Lesson learned. /sarcasm off

Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 AM

143 posts, read 121,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Why doesn't he start his own business and become self employed,
if he hates his capitalistic pig of a boss so much.
Just a thought

That's too much of a trite answer. Not everyone is going to be able to be an entrepreneur. If everybody was a business owner where are the employees? I still don't think its government's job to subsidize folks. I don't really have the answer though.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,473,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
"They are receiving EIC. Earned income credit. Low income families with children get this as a sort of "stimulus"

My husband and I have 4 kids. He works, I stay home. We usually pay about $800 in federal taxes out of his wages yearly. And our tax refund every year is around $9,000. We use our tax refund to pay our house payments and car insurance up for a whole year."
Why do some people get so much money back in annual income taxes? - Yahoo! Answers

Where is the fairness in this?

How can someone pay only $800 per year in federal taxes and receive over 10 X as much on a refund, enough to pay their mortgage and car insurance, not for one month, not for two months, but for an ENTIRE YEAR?

Does the government discourage success and promote dependence?

Why should someone who earns much more by working harder pay many times more in taxes, only to receive less than a tenth back that the person above was refunded, or have to pay even more taxes?

Is this not absurd?

Yes it is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies