Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:54 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,580 times

Advertisements

This sounds like they are doing what I thought they should over 20 years ago when I taught in the Houston area -- have dedicated classes in English language and don't bother with science and math until the students English proficiency is to a level to handle other courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Hey, watt about dose americans who be done born in da USA, tthey be going to American skools, they speek english at home, then they done growed up to be adults grown ups, but dey still gots big problims witt da langage at 5th grade levil?
To where is ya gonna deport them?

Old 04-21-2012, 04:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
This sounds like they are doing what I thought they should over 20 years ago when I taught in the Houston area -- have dedicated classes in English language and don't bother with science and math until the students English proficiency is to a level to handle other courses.
Well with budget cuts and all they had to fire core teachers, band teachers, gym teachers, art teachers in order to hire/keep those English immersion teachers.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:33 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well with budget cuts and all they had to fire core teachers, band teachers, gym teachers, art teachers in order to hire/keep those English immersion teachers.
I just think English immersion is a better idea than bilingual teachers required in addition to the core teachers. Get them up to speed in English and then send them back to regular classes with no translation required.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
I just think English immersion is a better idea than bilingual teachers required in addition to the core teachers. Get them up to speed in English and then send them back to regular classes with no translation required.
Bilingual only goes K-5. Then it's English only. Older students struggle to say the least. Yes this is a better type of program but it comes at a cost to the schools in terms of less mainstream teachers.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Oh lordy, is it really that difficult to understand women want birth control because they don't want to be forced to be tied down to kids instead of how you think of women as breeding chattel who can't think for themselves? Is it that difficult to understand we need immigration to keep us from losing population like Japan and having a crisis of too many elderly? I'd love to hear an argument from conservatives FOR ONCE not rely on false premises told to them by clergy, politicians or right wing pundits
Oh I see!!! American women don't want to have to have babies so it's imperative that we import third world women who enjoy having baby after baby!! And yes they sure do as long as we pay them to breed. Imagine if they weren't given free health care and food stamps and WIC for being our cheap brood mares?

Yes, I'm beginning to understand the liberal mindset. Raising kids is too unglamorous for American women, we can exploit the third world women for that.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
It should be up to the immigrants to pay for the extra classes they need because they came to a country unprepared.

I really cannot imagine Americans moving in large numbers to other countries and failing to learn even two words of that country's language ahead of time.

Yes English immersion but the parents should take some responsibility for having their kids properly prepared for school.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:41 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Conservatives: Latin people need to be deported they won't learn English.
Sensible person: They are learning English in school now along with the millions of older immigrants who take classes to learn English and are making huge gains assimilating into American society!
Conservatives: ...I don't want brown people here.
Wrong!

Conservatives: Latino peoples or otherwise need to come here legally or they will be deported. If here legally it is advisable to assimilate into our society and learn our national language. Legal immigrants can't be deported unless they break the law, not for not learning English.

Non-sensible Liberal: Illegal aliens should be able to violate our borders at will and we will also educate them at our expense. Regardless that we are an English speaking country it is racist to expect any Hispanic to learn or speak English.

Conservatives: It is a big fat lie by the liberals that most of us object to any skin color. Many of us ourselves are varying shades from white to black and of varying races/ethnic groups.

Non-sensible Liberal: Conservatives hate brown skin. The fact that they have conservatives of every skin color doesn't matter. Believe us and let's keep the race baiting alive.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Oh lordy, is it really that difficult to understand women want birth control because they don't want to be forced to be tied down to kids instead of how you think of women as breeding chattel who can't think for themselves? Is it that difficult to understand we need immigration to keep us from losing population like Japan and having a crisis of too many elderly? I'd love to hear an argument from conservatives FOR ONCE not rely on false premises told to them by clergy, politicians or right wing pundits
You want to hear the truth? Americans are still procreating at nearly twice the level of our deathrates. We have no shortage of new Americans. Nor do we need illegal foreigners procreating at lightening speed on our soil to save us from extinction while they suck our tax coffers dry supporting their broods.

Legal immigration in reasonable numbers is fine but we certainly don't even them as our baby breeders. Most Americans procreate at numbers they can afford to support and ideally our population should have leveled off at 200 million. We are over a 100 million pass that mark now.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let me clue you in, we are not klan or klan types just because we have problems with people, be it kids or adults that are here illegally. I don't know one person who resents people coming here legally from any country. In fact most welcome, with open arms people from all over the world, that is what makes our country so special. Many countries allow no immegrants or only a handful and anyone entering illegally will end up in jail, not just taken to the border and told to go home. It is those who are not here legally or who come here and refuse to even learn the language that we have problems with.

Nita
Looks like someone needs to look at the latest census (not you but someone on my ignore list). There are only 50 million Hispanics in this country (including the illlegal kind) and 260 million non-hispanics. The majority of those are white people. How is it racist to want to retain our country's demographics, culture an language but not racist to desire to anhilate it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies