Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not an atheist.
Or a liberal.
Or even particularly pro-choice.

I am anti wacko religious right.
"anti-wacko religious right".

Listen to your talk. It's pure drivel, spoken with hatred toward those of the Christian faith.

You don't have anything to denote "wacko", but instead, without posting any signs relating to anything having to with the students who have erected the crosses and them being wacko, you speak on the subject as though you are an expert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I can invoke my faith in Jesus any time I want. Are you about saying that I can't be who I am? Are you about denying me my religous rights? That's against the law, for one.

You do realize this thread deals with the cross, a Christian symbol? Christianity is connected with this thread, so I'd say that you're acting in a strange manner by speaking in the ways that you are doing.

It's called apologetics. Learn the meaning of it.
You can, indeed, do all of those things, but you won't win any debate points.

To you it's apologetics, to me it's evangelistic Christian nonsense.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
You might want to check out this thread, Andy.

University Says Christian Club CAN'T Require LEADERS To Be Devout CHRISTIAN
Thanks, Fred. (Perhaps your name isn't Fred, but then mine isn't Andy. Funny how assumptions get you places you never thought you'd go, isn't it?)

Actually, if the University is a state-sponsored one, our prohibition against the combining of church and state mandates this stance, and it is one of which I approve.

In any scenario, the combination of Church and State is dangerous. One needs only to look at Iran, Iraq, or Turkey to see and understand the dangers. Look up, America, and learn.

Religious practice is a spiritual practice. Practice your personal religion as you make your political choices, but do not expect to impose them on others, politically.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'd have to say the "pro life" group initiated this, when they picked a religious icon to try to make a policitcal statement. Turnabout is fair play.
I"ve only read through post #30. I agree. I don't like seeing the cross used like that, either. I've even seen people use crosses to represent dead prairie dogs! Disgusting.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Therefore it's a graven image and a proxy for worshipping a god.
You do realize that Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are called the Trinity. Worshiping Jesus is worshiping God.

If one were to look at the Bible, the Israelites were worshiping the golden calf when Moses came down from Mt. Sinai. God was angry because the Israelites were worshiping an idol, something completely unrelated to God.

Respecting and revering the cross is not worshiping the cross or the wood. It's paying respect to Christ of whom it represents. The symbol of early Christians was the fish (icthus). While they didn't worship the symbol, it was a symbol of their faith in Christ. The same with the cross.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
More sermons....
In response to someone else giving an "anti-sermon". People are speaking about Christianity, and so am I, so what is the difference?

Oh, you want only one side to say their piece, as long as it is demeaning to Christianity. I get it. Those who say such are not talking about Christianity or religion, and they're not really giving a sermon, but if someone of faith respond to them, even if the person who speaks negatively of Christianity brought it up, then that's a sermon.

Irrational thinking.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What's truly disgusting is seemingly adult Americans who are too damn stupid to understand the very simple meaning of C-H-O-I-C-E and insist on using the baseless, asinine term 'pro-abortion'.
It is being for abortion, isn't it? Thus, it's pro-abortion. I don't see why you'd be having the disconnect in understand this.

Quote:
Sadly, what they embrace is stupidity.
More nice comments directed toward those who are pro-Life.

Stupidity? To not desire an unborn child to die.

You'd want a child such as this to die? That sounds crazy to me.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4821487875066140&id=26a7bea4e2d78 c078e622f67e32db818&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.capetownl awyer.co.za%2fdivorce%2fchildren%2funborn-child.jpg (broken link)
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4821487875066140&id=26a7bea4e2d78 c078e622f67e32db818&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.capetownl awyer.co.za%2fdivorce%2fchildren%2funborn-child.jpg (broken link)
Your so-called choice is usually nothing more than people wanting to run away from their sexual irresponsibility, instead blaming the child.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You can, indeed, do all of those things, but you won't win any debate points.

To you it's apologetics, to me it's evangelistic Christian nonsense.
Only to the blind.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Actually, if the University is a state-sponsored one, our prohibition against the combining of church and state mandates this stance, and it is one of which I approve.
Again, there is no separation of church and state. There is a prohibition against a state church. However, there is also a freedom of religion clause, and this applies to any person, in any location, regardless of where they happen to be or what office they happen to hold.

Quote:
In any scenario, the combination of Church and State is dangerous. One needs only to look at Iran, Iraq, or Turkey to see and understand the dangers. Look up, America, and learn.
You do realize that you're talking about Islam, and Islam is not Christianity. Christianity doesn't tell people to kill others in the name of God. That you'd try to insinuate a comparison is strange.

Quote:
Religious practice is a spiritual practice. Practice your personal religion as you make your political choices, but do not expect to impose them on others, politically.
No one has imposed anything on anyone.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not an atheist.
Or a liberal.
Or even particularly pro-choice.

I am anti wacko religious right.

I agree 100% with points #1, #3 and #4.

And, I am a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies