U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 PM

47 posts, read 68,603 times

Advertisements

In no particular order, these are the biggest problems facing our society and our world:

1. We need a third party that is strong and viable. The Republicans and Democrats both never really have had a consistent platform. Party lines are drawn based on economic policies.

2. We need to abolish the legal drinking age. I say this because on the occasions it gets enforced, like when teens have drinking parties, EVERYONE in the room gets taken into custody without regard for their rights. The 21 law often leads to such civil liberties violations.

3. We also need to abolish any and all remaining "blue laws", which make it a crime for businesses to sell alcohol (sometimes cars and other items too) on Sundays. I don't know how these laws ever passed in the first place. They create an "establishment of religion"; therefore they are unconstitutional.

4. We need to break up all the oil companies, like was done in 1911 with Standard Oil. About 10 years ago, Exxon bought Mobil, BP bought Amoco, Conoco bought Phillips 66, and Chevron and Shell both bought parts of Texaco. This is why we are now paying upwards of $3.00 a gallon for gas. The mergers in the industry were their excuse to break the rules of fairness.

5. We need to get serious about fighting crime and cleaning up urban decay.

6. We need to reach out to the poor and the older generation who are ignorant of the Internet and all the knowledge it has to offer. I think test scores of disadvantaged kids/schools would go up if we bridged the "digital divide". A lot of inner-city families have wisely turned to online schools instead of dangerous, third rate public schools for their kids. I think introducing kids to the Internet at an early age encourages an interest in lifelong learning which might not otherwise be there.

7. We need to abolish "hate crime" laws. They are interfering with our most basic free speech rights. You can't force people to change their hearts and accept equality of all races, religions, etc. And people don't like to be told what to do or think.

8. We need to forget about "political correctness". This ties into the above. Our politicians have made shady deals with dictators in the name of not offending anyone. People are afraid to boycott certain countries because racism will be accused of them.

9. We need to stop prescribing psychiatric drugs like Ritalin, Prozac, and Lexapro to children. This became an accepted way for parents to control kids' bad behavior about 20 years ago. But now we are seeing spikes in teenage depression and suicide, schizophrenia, etc. And a lot of parents involved support this because they are too "busy" to sit down and counsel the kids about personal problems, like a loving parent should.

10. Our urban schools need to get serious about prosecuting child abuse which is rampant in such communities. In my view, a lot of poor people are poor because they develop mental illnesses after suffering abuse as a child, and it gets swept under the rug by society. People are in denial. We need to stand up for the rights of kids. Yesterday in fact there was a "Day of Silence" campaign in many American high schools to raise awareness of violence against teens who may or may not be gay. We should apply the same concept to the issue of abuse and neglect. This also ties in to the above.

11. We need to abolish "sexual harassment" laws. People are losing jobs and high school kids are being put in jail just because they were flirting! This happens even when both he and she want to!

12. We need to focus more attention on poverty, and less attention on racism. There are poor people of all colors in this country. And in fact the whites who are most racist tend to be of low socioeconomic status.

13. We need to begin preserving "recent" history which started after World War II. Many kids/teens these days are completely unaware of all the cultural accomplishments of their parents' generation. And many older people fail to appreciate just how much has happened in their lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 06:50 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times
Of all the civil liberties violations in this country (that's why the ACLU exists) the one that bothers you the most involves teens getting busted for underage drinking?

Interesting.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Of all the civil liberties violations in this country (that's why the ACLU exists) the one that bothers you the most involves teens getting busted for underage drinking?

Interesting.
I was referring to teens who AREN'T drinking but get arrested simply for being on the premises of those who are. People have had to sell their houses based on the legal fees they had to pay to assert innocence in these cases.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:29 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,206,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandyPuppy1977 View Post
I was referring to teens who AREN'T drinking but get arrested simply for being on the premises of those who are. People have had to sell their houses based on the legal fees they had to pay to assert innocence in these cases.
I got turned off with your first point. I have to wonder how a President from that party manages to govern with the seats in both houses of Congress divided among three parties. Seldom, if ever would you find a majority and then you would have to have the parties operating with a coalition of two of them against the other and may well never have a majority that way either. Different coalition every time a new problem came up. We would have to change from a Presidential form of government to parliamentary and I don't care for that form but multi-parties would cause it to happen. In other words you want to force amendments of the Constitution to provide that kind of government

I see that you are pretty new to this forum so haven't seen one of my rants about what your third party would cause. Think about that one for a bit.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times
Quote:
As I said: It's interesting that of all the civil liberty violations there are in this country, you pick this as an example.

I'd think a more obvious choice would be possible civil liberty violations stemming from the Patriot Act. At least to me. Since I'm not hanging out where teens are drinking enough alcohol to draw the attention of the cops.

Wow. Abolish the drinking age for this particular reason? So the other ramifications (12-year olds getting legally snockered as just one example) are less important?

BTW: I just checked. The ACLU recommends you keep the noise down. Apparently I was right with my hunch. That's what's bringing the cops to the parties.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-21-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Well unfortunately, since the "War on Drugs" started, SWAT teams have gotten the legal green light to break down your door in the middle of the night, WITHOUT A WARRANT, and point an Uzi at your head. This can happen if you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows a drug dealer, even if you didn't know the connection. Things have only gotten worse since the PATRIOT Act.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM

46,816 posts, read 36,996,604 times
Quote:
In no particular order, these are the biggest problems facing our society and our world:

1. We need a third party that is strong and viable.
That would be nice if it can be done. The problem is, can the public completely be sold on such an idea where a centrist candidate goes down the middle as much as possible to appease people on two sides of the fence? It's challenging. Given recent history, it's easier for an independent to win the governorship of a state than it is to win the presidency. Any such candidate would have to go with what is in everybody's best interest. That's where it gets tricky.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:07 PM

Maybe we should just scrap the two major parties and start two new major parties. And better yet, we could ban members of the old parties from joining the new ones. Corruption really needs to be stamped out. As for civil liberties, I believe undercover police will someday be declared unconstitutional. And I have no criminal record, so don't get any ideas about me.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,850,264 times
Right on, OP!

Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,501,291 times
Two suggestions:

Outlaw public-employee unionism; prosecute any attempt to organize under RICO, with mandatory jail time on the first offense

Require a high school diploma in order to vote; disfranchise all welfare-recirpents and child-support delinquents until they are payng their way, and all convicted felons permanently.

The Democrat-Liberal-Radical Axis wouldn't have a leg left to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies