Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"Many" is not "most." Many people are millionaires, but most are not. Is the new standard for what qualifies as a good liberal arts degree that "many" will succeed when "most" will not?

To my knowledge, physics is not liberal arts. It's physics. Liberals Arts undergrads don't walk out of college and into the physics lab as a physicist. Stop deflecting.
Pretty sure physics is considered a liberal art... and "many" does count for something, especially when you consider many non-LA majors are not successful. Which leads one to believe your major doesn't matter all that much, as it's more about your personal skills, connections, drive to succeed, etc. Tons of people don't even work in a field related to their major, and a certain percentage (including myself) also go on to earn graduate degrees - thus rendering the BA/BS fairly insignificant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Pretty sure physics is considered a liberal art... and "many" does count for something, especially when you consider many non-LA majors are not successful. Which leads one to believe your major doesn't matter all that much, as it's more about your personal skills, connections, drive to succeed, etc. Tons of people don't even work in a field related to their major, and a certain percentage (including myself) also go on to earn graduate degrees - thus rendering the BA/BS fairly insignificant.
Find me a school somewhere...anywhere....that considers a liberal arts degree a hard science degree and i'll lick your boot. A physics degree is a hard science degree. A liberal arts degree is not.

You folks have completely fell off your rockers if you're trying to equate a hard science such as physics with a liberal arts hodge podge. Somewhere along the way you've been fed something close to bull pucky, and you've swallowed it whole.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Find me a school somewhere...anywhere....that considers a liberal arts degree a hard science degree and i'll lick your boot.

You folks have completely fell off your rockers if you're trying to equate a hard science such as physics with a "liberal art." Somewhere along the way you've been fed something close to bull pucky, and you've swallowed it whole.
Liberal Arts Physics | College Of Humanities + Natural Sciences | Loyola University New Orleans

Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Did you happen to notice there's a BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN PHYSICS and a LIBERAL ARTS PHYSICS degree? Which one of those degrees do you think is geared towards a career in physics???

They wouldn't even offer the BS in Physics if the Liberal Arts Physics program was sufficient. Liberal Arts are not science degrees. Hence the BACHELOR OF SCIENCE.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM

161 posts, read 211,509 times
Quote:
Find me a school somewhere...anywhere....that considers a liberal arts degree a hard science degree and i'll lick your boot. A physics degree is a hard science degree. A liberal arts degree is not.

You folks have completely fell off your rockers if you're trying to equate a hard science such as physics with a liberal arts hodge podge. Somewhere along the way you've been fed something close to bull pucky, and you've swallowed it whole.
You best go lick their boot.

Quote:
Did you happen to notice there's a BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN PHYSICS and a LIBERAL ARTS PHYSICS degree? Which one of those degrees do you think is geared towards a career in physics???

They wouldn't even offer the BS in Physics if the Liberal Arts Physics program was sufficient. Liberal Arts are not science degrees. Hence the BACHELOR OF SCIENCE.
Nice backtracking. You are running away from your statement like a pro.

You can get a BA or a BS with most majors.

Last edited by sprtrpr; 04-22-2012 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Find me a school somewhere...anywhere....that considers a liberal arts degree a hard science degree and i'll lick your boot.

You folks have completely fell off your rockers if you're trying to equate a hard science such as physics with a "liberal art." Somewhere along the way you've been fed something close to bull pucky, and you've swallowed it whole.
Actually, I don't think this kid (economically, he's still a preschooler) would have too much trouble finding a job -- it's just likely to be at the very bottom of the heap -- in a call center or something similar -- where he won't have to do any original thinking, or make too many decisions.

If he can handle people well, and keep his political garbage to himself while on the job, he can get a shot at managing people, which is surely an art rather than "hard science" -- but the winds of office politics shift constantly.

And if he's in reasonably good shape physically, there are lots of seasonal, outdoor-type jobs in the indusrial-sevices sector, some of them with considerable travel and/or variety, plus the prospect of an Unemployment check in the off-season. (If a "gimp" like me, with a spinal fusion, could do it at the age of 54, spraying weeds at oil refineries, so can he.)

As always, it's up to the individual; don't run crying to Barry-O and his clique to cover your poor decisions -- the finances of our nation are already strained to the limit.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:

Quote:
Get licking!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Perhaps he can produce a play - The Ricky (Lake) Horror Picture Show...

Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Different people have different definitions for liberal arts. Some include science some don't. Typically when science is included it seems like it is more abstract science than hard science. My school does not consider the hard sciences as liberal arts.

liberal arts
Definition
lib·er·al arts
PLURAL NOUN
education in culturally oriented subjects: college and university subjects that are intended to provide students with general cultural knowledge, e.g. languages, literature, history, and philosophy

define liberal arts - Bing DICTIONARY

liberal arts

noun
the academic course of instruction at a college intended to provide general knowledge and comprising the arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences, as opposed to professional or technical subjects.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/liberal+arts?s=t

I can't copy and paste merriam webster, but they agree with what I said...humanities with some abstract science: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...liberal%20arts

Merriam Webster says Liberal Arts is designed to develop general intellectual capabilities (such as reason and judgment) as opposed to professional or vocation skills.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 04-22-2012 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

Both of my daughters have BAs in biology, one from the University of Colorado, the other from St. Olaf College.

http://www.colorado.edu/catalog/cata...arts_sciences/
***The College of Arts and Sciences is the liberal arts college at CU-Boulder.

http://www.stolaf.edu/catalog/academ...-and-more.html
***Students at St. Olaf have 39 Bachelor of Arts graduation majors from which to select, as well as a number of teaching majors and teaching certification programs. Many students choose to major in one of the traditional liberal arts disciplines, such as art, biology, economics, history, mathematics, philosophy, or a world language.

I don't want you to lick my boots; I'd rather you lick my kitchen floor. It needs to be washed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies