Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Absolutely, it is none of our business.

It is also none of our business when they have a huge college loan to pay back and work at McDonald's.
It's none of our business when a used car salesman rips off young customers with useless, worthless dealer-added options, either. But we still feel empathy for the customer when they realize how badly they were screwed.

We see what is going on, it's a money making scam with these colleges, they take millions in taxpayer dollars, and they crank out student after student with unmarketable knowledge and skills with useless college courses and worthless degrees. The student thinks their degrees must be worthwhile, otherwise the college would not offer them.

I get what you are saying, the students are making their own free choice to earn a degree in woman's studies and basket weaving. But it looks more like a get rich scam, partially paid for with our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Indeed worthless and useless.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I think any university that accepts ANY Federal or State money should be 100% liable for the students they take in and educate... I don't know of any other organization that is not liable for the work they perform...

Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Oh. Right. I forgot "sissy" = "homosexual."

I forgot it's 1952 on City-Data, instead of 2012.
I find the blatant homophobia on City-Data's forum disgusting, it shouldn't be tolerated. Indeed, this is 2012.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
oh, honey, helen, whatever..........when it's my money they're using to pursue frivolous, stupid, useless degrees, you'd better believe it's my business.
Oh Dale, honey, whatever ............ your issue is with the government system providing the loans, not with the students who are perfectly within their rights to choose whatever degree that they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I would hire the fool, either.
I assume you meant "not hire." Not enough English classes, I take it.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I find the blatant homophobia on City-Data's forum disgusting, it shouldn't be tolerated. Indeed, this is 2012.
Not only that, blatant "sexism" as well.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I think the loans are a very good idea as educated citizens are better citizens. I wonder why the private sector finance industry is involved at all. This should be direct government loans at the government interest rate and be paid off by a permanent surcharge on the recipients income tax. This would reduce the costs to the students and society by freeing students from crippling debt when they are entering the commercial job market.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Default O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the loans are a very good idea as educated citizens are better citizens. I wonder why the private sector finance industry is involved at all. This should be direct government loans at the government interest rate and be paid off by a permanent surcharge on the recipients income tax. This would reduce the costs to the students and society by freeing students from crippling debt when they are entering the commercial job market.
I think stealing from me and giving to someone else to pursue selfish interests is a crime.
Entitled citizens make poor citizens.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
And here is the DOE promoting STEM while handing out billions to produce basket weavers.

Why not ONLY give government student loans to those pursuing a degree that will get this country ahead. If you want to take basket weaving then you'll have to get that degree on your own dime.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,000 times
It's all about have the ability to do the work, how those skills were attained are irrelevant. So, yes, there are many IT "professionals," who don't have a degree a technical degree.

Additionally, a person's major doesn't tell you every class they took. And depending on the school, students will typically be required to take some business/technical classes.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So an IT department is basically a department full of people who aren't educated in IT... I see... its all about if you can do the work... doesn't require any special training at all or knowledge of... understand software coding? Not required... understand hardware maintenance? Not required... understand network management? Not required... do you have two hands, two eyes, a brain, and the will to work? You are hired!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies