Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow, you are really stretching for this one. The original poster did, though not in the original post.

Trying to make the article itself as the OP is really weird, like it hacked Roy's account and posted itself.

Your willful ignorance is downright comedy gold at this point.
Roy was quite obviously talking about the shuttle replacement program when he said that Obama "killed" our space program.

Read it again:
Quote:

I do wish our leader had realized what he killed when he ordered the death of our space program but he needed the money spent on that for some of his social programs, I guess.
I think it's you that jumped the gun and didn't quite understand what you read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow, you are really stretching for this one. The original poster did, though not in the original post.

Trying to make the article itself as the OP is really weird, like it hacked Roy's account and posted itself.

Your willful ignorance is downright comedy gold at this point.
Do you use any of these inventions that NASA made from working on the space program? Maybe some of them every day if at all.

Curiosity "10 NASA Inventions You Might Use Every Day"

Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Roy was quite obviously talking about the shuttle replacement program when he said that Obama "killed" our space program.

Read it again:

I think it's you that jumped the gun and didn't quite understand what you read.
Going along with Krauthammer is foolish to progs. I sometimes wonder why they don't ever say much about what he says in one of his columns. It is a cinch that he has more knowledge about most of these things like the space program than any of THEM. At least he has the advanced degrees to be ahead of them.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The US marked the finish of her space flight superiority coming to an end with a fly by of WashingtonDC by the last shuttle. Of course, shuttles couldn't fly but this time it rode piggy back on a 747 for the whole trip. Think how sad it will be to go to the museum to see that last gasp effort of the US in space. Of course, the exploration is in good hands now since China and Russia gladly took over the task.

***Is there a better symbol of willed American decline? The pity is not Discovery’s retirement — beautiful as it was, the shuttle proved too expensive and risky to operate — but that it died without a successor. The planned follow-on — the Constellation rocket-capsule program to take humans back into orbit and from there to the moon — was suddenly canceled in 2010. And with that, control of manned spaceflight was gratuitously ceded to Russia and China.***

Shuttle flight really a funeral march / LJWorld.com
Hey, at least we cut out some of that wasteful government spending, right?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
So now the right is upset with Obama for not spending more money? Do we need any more evidence that these people are against anything and everything Obama says and does?

Even if something was a Republican idea last year, if Obama says he's in favor of it this year, they're suddenly against it.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
I knew some kids like you back in the 80s who really loved those Space Camps and all of them got involved in the space program. It is now gone and will soon be forgotten in this country.

Some of the things that came out of NASA because of the space program, and there were thousands are WD40, and other lubricants that could withstand the cold, I know the young man, young then, who devised the first space suit that could be worn and allow elimination of bodily wastes, not a big deal today but back then it allowed the first orbiting of the Earth.

I do wish our leader had realized what he killed when he ordered the death of our space program but he needed the money spent on that for some of his social programs, I guess.
Well I guess it will be time for private industry to step in and pick up the slack. After all that what Conservatives keep saying. That private industry can do things better than government.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Although I knew the program was coming to a close, why were they doing the DC piggyback flyover?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times
Quote:
The US marked the finish of her space flight superiority coming to an end with a fly by of WashingtonDC by the last shuttle. Of course, shuttles couldn't fly but this time it rode piggy back on a 747 for the whole trip. Think how sad it will be to go to the museum to see that last gasp effort of the US in space. Of course, the exploration is in good hands now since China and Russia gladly took over the task.

***Is there a better symbol of willed American decline? The pity is not Discovery’s retirement — beautiful as it was, the shuttle proved too expensive and risky to operate — but that it died without a successor. The planned follow-on — the Constellation rocket-capsule program to take humans back into orbit and from there to the moon — was suddenly canceled in 2010. And with that, control of manned spaceflight was gratuitously ceded to Russia and China.***

Shuttle flight really a funeral march / LJWorld.com
It's sad to read, imo. We've pumped all our money into war machines, that education and research are put on the back burner.

Peace,
brian

Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Although I knew the program was coming to a close, why were they doing the DC piggyback flyover?
Why not? They were in the neighborhood as the shuttle was enroute to the Air & Space Museum facility at Dulles Airport.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:52 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Do you use any of these inventions that NASA made from working on the space program? Maybe some of them every day if at all.

Curiosity "10 NASA Inventions You Might Use Every Day"

So, you're now in favor of government spending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies