Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
No one doubts that the lives of black Americans are significantly worse than those of other groups in this country. The question is why? Liberals, black and white, point to racism and the vestiges of slavery as the cause. Does racism against blacks still persist? Yes. Is there a legacy of slavery and Jim Crow that is handicapping blacks? Hard to say, but possibly. But those are hardly the issues holding blacks back today.

When 75% of black children are born out of wedlock, they already have two strikes against them. Likely they will grow up into the same poverty in which they were born. Then they are condemned to substandard, union-controlled schools, leading to failure and high dropout rates. Strike three. And the legacy is passed down from one generation to the next.

I'm not writing anything new here. Bill Cosby has been saying much the same thing for some time now. The social pathologies endemic in the black communites will not be cured by fanning white guilt or more government programs. The answers must be found within those communites.
I doubt that. Blacks don't necesarily have it bad at all.

If being white automatically makes one well-off -- then explain why the people of Appalacia are some of the poorest in the country. We have poor white mountain people living in shabby old mobile homes and a black man is president of this country. Many black celebrities are extremely rich. Many black businessmen are very well off.

I know blacks that are wealthy and many who are solidly middle class and do not have rotten lives or futures. But yes I agree is that they tend to be married when they have their children and the father sticks around to help his wife rasise their children.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 AM

566 posts, read 958,003 times
Quote:
No one doubts that the lives of black Americans are significantly worse than those of other groups in this country. The question is why? Liberals, black and white, point to racism and the vestiges of slavery as the cause. Does racism against blacks still persist? Yes. Is there a legacy of slavery and Jim Crow that is handicapping blacks? Hard to say, but possibly. But those are hardly the issues holding blacks back today.

When 75% of black children are born out of wedlock, they already have two strikes against them. Likely they will grow up into the same poverty in which they were born. Then they are condemned to substandard, union-controlled schools, leading to failure and high dropout rates. Strike three. And the legacy is passed down from one generation to the next.
The reason why the lives of most black people are significantly worse is because the priorities of most black people are completely out of order. Education and intelligence aren't the primary focus, and when that's not the primary focus (or even the secondary focus), it's difficult to become successful. As a black person who grew up in a millionaire household (and no, the money wasn't made via entertainment/pro sports), I can attest that racism has very little to do with the lack of success in the black community, but it has been used as an excuse for years and years.

As far as black children being condemned to substandard schooling, that's actually not true. I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from, there have always been magnet schools that provide a high quality public school education. Students who do well at their original, inner city public schools, and are eager to learn more, can almost always get into these better schools if they've demonstrated success. Additionally, elite private schools are almost always looking for smart black students to provide scholarships to, so that's another option as well for those who want a good education.

Basically, my point is that anyone can get a good education if they actually want one.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The truth hurts. Hood rats ARE their own worst enemies. The race card don't work cause most Black Africans here, the ones who came as free men and women, have a huge "git 'er done' attitude.
Yep.

Legal black--or brown--immigrants from Africa most often already have jobs lined up when they hit our shores. Many of them come in as taxi and shuttle service drivers, i.e. not highly educated, just a good work ethic and a desire to make a better living than they could in their home countries.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Yep.

Legal black--or brown--immigrants from Africa most often already have jobs lined up when they hit our shores. Many of them come in as taxi and shuttle service drivers, i.e. not highly educated, just a good work ethic and a desire to make a better living than they could in their home countries.
Yep

They've not been ruined by our welfare system. It's work and prosper to them.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:

I'm not writing anything new here. Bill Cosby has been saying much the same thing for some time now. The social pathologies endemic in the black communites will not be cured by fanning white guilt or more government programs. The answers must be found within those communites.
I have said the same thing all along, but blacks turn a blind eye to it and blame whites for everything or say there is no problem in the black community.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
That link was pretty powerful, wasn't it. We need to start focusing on the real issue and stop the smoke screens. You ever hear of White on White crime?
Yeah, I hear about white on white crime all the time.
Portsmouth Police Investigating Shooting, Searching for Suspect
It's a norm in this city. It's 90% white.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Dear White Folks; You don't know how easy you have it.

Dear Black Folks: You don't know how much easier you have it in a Western country than you would in almost any country in Africa.

Quit whining.

Last time I checked Botswana was an African country with one of the fastest growing economies in Africa. It went from dirt poor to middle class.

Yeah, those Africans are really struggling over there.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I used to sympathize with American blacks until I spent 5 years in Atlanta, GA. Now I know from direct experience that they cause most of their own problems. Get your act together and then maybe the rest of us will give a damn.
For me it was spending 4 years in Baltimore.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Black on Black violent crime is 6 times that of white on white violent crime. Any comments on that?

Looking at it on a national level. But, there are cities that have more white on white crime than black on black.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Last time I checked Botswana was an African country with one of the fastest growing economies in Africa. It went from dirt poor to middle class.

Yeah, those Africans are really struggling over there.
LOL one sparsely populated country with 2 million people, with one of the highest HIV infection rates in the world is now representative of the entire continent of Africa which holds 500 million plus.

Where did some of you all learn to debate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies