Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...does that poster know WHY Botswana moved up so quickly and suddenly?

Diamonds.

It helps that the first president also was committed to the money from the diamonds being used to further the fortunes of the people...not line corrupt pockets.

Why does it matter? I don't see anyone complaining about how the U.S made money off of slaves that were taken from Africa. That wasn't corrupt?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'll bend an ear when black people rise up against black-on-black killings. Until then, I could care less about self-righteous rants about black people dying "at the hands of guns held by security guards and police officers..."

How many black people died this week alone from black-on-black murders? How many black people died at the hands of the police this week?

That's what I thought.

Your righteous indignation is astounding.
If you'd have been bending an ear, you would have heard black people rise up against black-on-black killings decades ago..................

Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Why does it matter? I don't see anyone complaining about how the U.S made money off of slaves that were taken from Africa. That wasn't corrupt?
The rise of the american middle class and the technological advancements that occurred to bring the U.S. to the forefront as a super power had nothing to do with slavery.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
I read the article, love the "Brady Bunch" analogy, but who is Sydney?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I suggest that the Op looks at just who holds the most hand gun i their hands when blacks are killed. Then loo at the highest cause of death amoug young black men and who holds those guns that shot them. I thni perhaps like Cosby says blacks tunr a bilnd eye to the real problems to live with the real facts starring them i nthe face.
That is because they are oppressed.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The rise of the american middle class and the technological advancements that occurred to bring the U.S. to the forefront as a super power had nothing to do with slavery.

Parts of America wouldn't have been where they are today without slavery. Look back at your ancestors, most of the south was reliant on slave labor. Where would it be if that never happened?
It established the solid ground that gave us the country to gain those achievements.

But, I don't here any of you people complaining about how America was built on corruption and hatred.

Yet, when an African government gets money a certain way you say it doesn't matter because of the way it was obtained in a way you deem "corrupt".

Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,447 times
I will admit that we have it better than blacks. We go to the better schools and the better colleges (honestly when I was at UCLA, if it wasn't for athletic scholarships, there would have been few if any blacks there) and we always land on top because, after all, it is our system. It was created by us and is run by us. But that does not mean all of us are racist and don't want to help black and brown people.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
I will admit that we have it better than blacks. We go to the better schools and the better colleges (honestly when I was at UCLA, if it wasn't for athletic scholarships, there would have been few if any blacks there) and we always land on top because, after all, it is our system. It was created by us and is run by us. But that does not mean all of us are racist and don't want to help black and brown people.
I think this opens up a whole new can of worms. You can't have a society of all equals. UCLA and many other top notch schools are simply for top achievers or the upper class with money. I never got that opportunity because we don't have the money and I couldn't get a scholarship, so why should others without those skills/money.

In the case of the schools, that is something that has to be addressed in elementary and high school and make sure the schooling is adequate (what about those standards?). Once college rolls around there shouldn't be any other form of affirmative action.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Parts of America wouldn't have been where they are today without slavery. Look back at your ancestors, most of the south was reliant on slave labor. Where would it be if that never happened?
It established the solid ground that gave us the country to gain those achievements.

But, I don't here any of you people complaining about how America was built on corruption and hatred.

Yet, when an African government gets money a certain way you say it doesn't matter because of the way it was obtained in a way you deem "corrupt".
Learn to read.
I said that part of the reason Botswana did well is because the prez was NOT corrupt. He was insistent that the diamond money went back to the people of the country. That is a good thing.

Also, my BROWN ancestors (parents, cousins, aunts/uncles) came here from another country with NOTHING and in ONE generation became millionaires...without a cent of welfare, social/community support, or any affirmative action.

Which is why I have to sit here and wonder, "Why does a population of people who have been here for over 200 years, that has community ties, that does access welfare...why do THEY still have a problem succeeding?"

Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,313,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Now you can tell me how I really felt when I critisized and blamed Bush.
What a stupid post. I knew that someone would try to be smart, but only succeed in making themselves look ridiculous.

The short--and also incomplete--analysis that I wrote in my post, is something that has been well known to those who have followed and researched race and racism in the US. The notion of whites projecting their fears and insecurities upon blacks is well known by academics, scientist and also philosophers who are engaged in topics concerning race and racism.

What I've stated is nothing new, there is a lot of literature and research to support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies