Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The criminal mindset at work.

Whatever a parent wants to leave their offspring upon death, is entirely up to them.The greedy state should have no business or claim with their property.
Amen... what a ridiculous post that was. If my father wants to leave his hard-earned money to his children, the government has NO right to take more than is already required/paid in taxes. And people think liberals like to give away other people's money? I don't know that other poster's affiliation, but this liberal-libertarian thinks such an idea is asinine.

Btw, despite recent voting records, California has always been nearly half & half Republican/Democrat (leaning only slightly left). And while I realize the governor doesn't hold all the power, it's already been pointed out that we were under GOP "ruling" for a long long time. As for the issue with immigrants of the Spanish-speaking variety, is it our fault we're sitting on top of Mexico & Central America? You can't tell me Texas, New Mexico & Arizona don't have Spanish-speaking immigrants, now can you? Anyway, this long-time Californian isn't going anywhere yet - I quite like it here, thanks!

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-24-2012 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 AM

P.S. Most people I've known who left California did so because of the high living costs... the desirable parts of CA are uber expensive because, well, you get what you pay for overall. Some people can't hack it, so they run off to cheaper places like Idaho & Arkansas - or back to wherever they came from originally. As a nearly 30-year resident, I've seen many people leave for this reason, whereas you rarely hear of somebody leaving "because it's gone to hell." It's almost always about the money, bottom line.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, I'm from there, and it's too expensive even for me to move back "home".
Tell me about it... I moved back after living in Oregon (and cheaper parts of CA) for a while, and that's the one thing I hate about being back in the Bay.

Quote:
When was this dream-time when CA public schools "used to be terrific"?? Public schools in some parts of the Bay Area, especially highschools, have always been terrible. (Berkeley High, Oakland Tech, and I've heard complaints about some of the San Fran schools).
Yeah, we had some pretty lousy schools when I was a kid/teen - and I was born in 1976, so that was at least 20-30 years ago! My parents ended up sending us all to private schools, but obviously that's not a feasible option for many families.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
California has added 10 million in population since 2000 , 7 million new medicaid patients, and only 150,000 new taxpayers.... Ponder that.
There is the problem.

In March many thousands of jobs were created but many more thousands new people showed up. Not taxpayers or there wouldn't be such a shortfall in revenues.

It's so bad that the liberal media is trying to explain the jump in unemployment by admitting that the unemployed in California weren't making any effort to find jobs but for some reason got off their rear ends in March and finally began to put out resumes and apply for jobs and that's why the unemployment rate went up. Weren't the unemployed supposed to be looking for jobs to get their unemployment handouts?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:31 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Familiar story, liberals making a once productive and livable state, unproductive and unlivable, especially for the middle class.

The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com
They flee to our lower cost of living red states and try to turn them into the same mess they fled. They don't realize WHY the cost of living is lower in our red states.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,616,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Take it from a 6-decade resident of Los Angeles; the Democrats have been whining about Howard Jarvis and how Prop. 13's passage in 1978 has destroyed the state and our schools, but the Democrats remain the biggest culprit to preventing California's economy from thriving as it had previously.
i don't care who you are or how you vote, prop 13 is a seriously screwed up law. to me it is just bizarre that y'all did this.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i don't care who you are or how you vote, prop 13 is a seriously screwed up law. to me it is just bizarre that y'all did this.
Hah -- proposition 13 is very likely the only thing keeping many taxpayers in California. Start hiking their property taxes to absurd levels and see how many taxpayers you're going to lose.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 AM

11,931 posts, read 6,520,906 times
Wisconsin was in a financial mess due to many of the same CA policies. Scott Walker has turned it around in short time---it is now in the black. Yes there was some pain involved, but the consequences of staying on their destructive financial policy track would have been much worse.

Why don't CA, other states, and the MSM acknowledge this success??? Must be because it was a Repub that did it, and so of course it must be evil, bigotted, and in every way politically incorrect.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,381,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Here's what I don't like about prop 13, corporations avoid reassessment unlike when homes change hands. I think it would be a good thing to change prop 13 to take care of this because I don't think it's fair that corps can avoid the reassessment when homeowners can't. Here's a snippet from Prop 13: The Building-Sized Loopholes Corporations Exploit | Close the Loophole

In most cases, it's relatively straightforward: Gavin Newsom sells his home for $2.75 million, a deed is recorded, and the new owner pays property taxes on a reassessed base. But, under state and federal law, corporations are afforded the same rights enjoyed by individuals; Mitt Romney was artless when he told a crowd "Corporations are people, my friend" — yet he was factually correct. And while it's fairly simple to ascertain when the Newsoms sell their house, determining the ownership of property held by massive conglomerates or intricate partnerships can be maddening. Especially when they want it to be.

Most new buyers are left with little recourse but to grumble that their property taxes are many times higher than those paid by longstanding residents and businesses. Recent buyers in every California city are subsidizing their neighbors. But corporations with no overriding desire to shell out millions in taxes do have options — and access to sharp legal minds. The definition of what constitutes a change of control of corporate property allows for remarkable leeway in avoiding a reassessment, shrinking needy cities' tax hauls by billions. Assessors awaiting deeds as a result of mergers, acquisitions, and other corporate transactions may wait forever.

A business selling 100 percent of its real-estate interest without triggering a reassessment isn't hypothetical — or even an oddity. "These kinds of transactions are being done all the time," says USF law professor Dan Lathrope. "Anyone doing a big real-estate transaction knows what triggers reassessments." It's all perfectly legal — companies can effectively change hands many times over, but never in a way resulting in a deed heading to the assessor's office, and buildings' tax bases remain at levels from the Carter administration.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hah -- proposition 13 is very likely the only thing keeping many taxpayers in California. Start hiking their property taxes to absurd levels and see how many taxpayers you're going to lose.
Actually it's see how far down property values fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies