Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times

Advertisements

It will only be a matter of time before Riverside & San Bernardino counties are blue as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What is "ignorant" is your selective memory of California politics and belief that a governor that is from the party opposed to the party that has a majority in the legislature, has much power.

Since 1970 until the present(April 2012) - both the Assembly and Senate in California have had Democratic majorities - with the exception of the 1995-1996 legislative term - when Republicans held the majority in the assembly. During that period the governors were Ronald Reagan(R) : 1967-1975, Jerry Brown(D) : 1975-1983, George Deukmejian(R) : 1983-1991, Pete Wilson(R) : 1991-1999, Gray Davis(D) : 1999-2003(I helped mercifully end his term through the recall!), Arnold Schwarzenegger(R) : 2003-2011, Jerry Brown(D) : 2011-present.

The Democrat governors had carte blanche to sign liberal legislation and the Republican governors had to fight a Democratic legislature that was(and still is) out of touch with the Californian people, has led us into debt, driven businesses out of the state, supports big government and their unions, and whom has proven themselves to be entirely incompetent to be trusted with the reigns of government.

As you have noted, four times during the past 42 years - Californians have voted for Republican leadership for the highest statewide office: governor. The liberal population centers of Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento - plus the north and central coast have elected Democrats to our legislature. Comparing the individuals districts to the state is an apples to oranges(both of which California farmers grow!) proposition. California is a blue state in name only - look at the red vs. blue maps - you will see why we generally elect Republican governors. When we can reform our redistricting process and get the lines drawn fairly instead of favoring the left - then you will see the true political colors of california. Until then - sane people like me will continue to be set on fleeing this former greatest state in the union - I may even move to Texas.

What can I do though? - the Democrats have destroyed my home.

Look at California - see all the red area? We only vote Democrat because of LA, SF, the North and central Coast, Imperial County, and the Lake Tahoe area.

By the way - I live in LA - my GOP vote usually doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
try as you might California is a blue state. It voted 60-37 for Obama over Mcain. Its two US senators are both solidly left. It's a bastion of gun control, rent control, and other looney left ideas. Keep dreaming
Re-pub-i-can't are going to be crying in their's cereal for centuries to come , because California is never going to turn into a Texas , try as you
will CALIFORNIA is what it is accept it and move on.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What is "ignorant" is your selective memory of California politics and belief that a governor that is from the party opposed to the party that has a majority in the legislature, has much power.

Since 1970 until the present(April 2012) - both the Assembly and Senate in California have had Democratic majorities - with the exception of the 1995-1996 legislative term - when Republicans held the majority in the assembly. During that period the governors were Ronald Reagan(R) : 1967-1975, Jerry Brown(D) : 1975-1983, George Deukmejian(R) : 1983-1991, Pete Wilson(R) : 1991-1999, Gray Davis(D) : 1999-2003(I helped mercifully end his term through the recall!), Arnold Schwarzenegger(R) : 2003-2011, Jerry Brown(D) : 2011-present.

The Democrat governors had carte blanche to sign liberal legislation and the Republican governors had to fight a Democratic legislature that was(and still is) out of touch with the Californian people, has led us into debt, driven businesses out of the state, supports big government and their unions, and whom has proven themselves to be entirely incompetent to be trusted with the reigns of government.

As you have noted, four times during the past 42 years - Californians have voted for Republican leadership for the highest statewide office: governor. The liberal population centers of Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento - plus the north and central coast have elected Democrats to our legislature. Comparing the individuals districts to the state is an apples to oranges(both of which California farmers grow!) proposition. California is a blue state in name only - look at the red vs. blue maps - you will see why we generally elect Republican governors. When we can reform our redistricting process and get the lines drawn fairly instead of favoring the left - then you will see the true political colors of california. Until then - sane people like me will continue to be set on fleeing this former greatest state in the union - I may even move to Texas.

What can I do though? - the Democrats have destroyed my home.

Look at California - see all the red area? We only vote Democrat because of LA, SF, the North and central Coast, Imperial County, and the Lake Tahoe area.

By the way - I live in LA - my GOP vote usually doesn't count.
The only "world class attraction" in the red area of CALIFORNIA is FRESNO and not many people are chopping at the bit to get there........

Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Re-pub-i-can't are going to be crying in their's cereal for centuries to come , because California is never going to turn into a Texas , try as you
So... how are they going to fix their problems ? They can't print money like the Feds.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Your right California ain't Texas, people and business are moving here in droves, unlike california were people are trying to get the hell out. It's crazy how many cars I see with Cali plates around here.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
EdwardA---That one sentence is absolutely perfect; the Democrats have been trying to turn California into a liberal utopia, just like their greatest creation---DETROIT!!!!

It remains the undisputed poster child insofar as what happens when liberals and the people who support them take over and turn a once thriving city into the slumhole it remains today.

They've done the same thing to 'America's breadbasket', aka the San Joaquin Valley, large swaths of which could have very easily served as the setting for 'Slumdog Millionaire'.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Next thing we have to do is put a 95% tax on inheritance. People should make their own way in this country, not be handed millions by their parents.

Next Obama term that will be addressed.
This is so outrageous, I am not sure if you are serious.

Edit to add: I read page 3..... you are serious.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
The only "world class attraction" in the red area of CALIFORNIA is FRESNO and not many people are chopping at the bit to get there........
Orange and San Diego Counties are world class.

Nice try.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What's ignorant is thinking the governor has the power to pass diktats for laws. As if there is no legislature.
I understand your anger and frustration at and with the GOP. Elect a GOP President in 2012 and you'll see nationally what you complain about in California. People deserve the government they elect. Californians have chosen the people you complain about. Uncomfortable with it? Yes, it's time to move.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Since 1967, the state has been Governed mostly by the GOP. For the 8 years preceding January 2011 a Republican Governor was in charge in California. Suggesting that the state's going to hell because of moderate Governor Brown less than a year and a half in office is beyond idiotic. Plain stupid. Ignorant.
You are ignorant of how it works here. The legislators hold the power. The democrats hold the majority.

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 04-22-2012 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies