Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,248,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wal-Mart loses 10 billion in mkt value in 1 day? Good, maybe it'll roll over and die now.
You must be a communist. Do you understand how many jobs go away in America if Walmart bit the dust?
Why would you want this on Obama's watch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,900,799 times
Quote:
Wal-Mart loses 10 billion in mkt value in 1 day? Good, maybe it'll roll over and die now.

Oh no. I would miss all of their chinese products.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,968,951 times
Easy come, easy go.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You must be a communist. Do you understand how many jobs go away in America if Walmart bit the dust?

More jobs would be gained than lost. Now if you say that prices may go up then that is possible.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Maybe the old Woolworth's would revive and take it's place. JC Penny is looking to expand. Sears. The market will cure all, don't you know? Market forces will step in to take care of the problem.

Wal-Mart deserves to die. Poor benefits, they cut employees' hours in order to artificially maintain their stock value, the use trade practices that are illegal in the US to take over variety store chains in developing countries, I hope this news it Wal-Mart's death knell. Where's Joe McCarthy when you need him? Send him after me.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Maybe the old Woolworth's would revive and take it's place. JC Penny is looking to expand. Sears. The market will cure all, don't you know? Market forces will step in to take care of the problem.
Might even see more small businesses that were put out of business by Walmart. They employed a lot of people before Walmart came along.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,154,481 times
Quote:
Question, if it is legal to grease the wheel in Mexico and this happened in Mexico, then why would we in America hold these execs to a standard not in that part of the world.
It isn't as if they went into some part of Islam and cut off the heads of Christians, right?
I'm sure bribery is illegal in Mexico in the same way that prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

Again I sort of agree with you in the sense that this is the only way to do business in certain countries, cough China cough.

Unless you are going to go after everyone or at least most companies for this stuff, what is the point?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I'm sure bribery is illegal in Mexico in the same way that prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

Again I sort of agree with you in the sense that this is the only way to do business in certain countries, cough China cough.

Unless you are going to go after everyone or at least most companies for this stuff, what is the point?
Why do you assume they are not? Are they just picking on poor walmart?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,778,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No I say let the mexicaians enforce the law in their country.
There's a federal law that makes it illegal to bribe people in foreign countries.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

The point is,that Wal-Mart deserves to die, and the sooner the better. All other US-based retail chains give their employees decent benefits and a solid 40-hour work week. They don't undermine local economies in other countries by taking over local/regional stores using underhanded tactics. If Wal-Mart feels they were targeted unfairly for this legal action, let them whine all the way to court and to the grave.

And yes, I second what hotair2 said; maybe the death of Wal-Mart might stimulate a revival of the neighborhood stores, the mom-and-pop businesses that are an American tradition and the backbone of the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies