Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
He needs to get used to saying "I don't recall that" and "I plead the 5th" if anything.
Or is that your soap on the shower floor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You can't expect irrational people to act rationally. If you asked them what they thought of the way Obama blinks his eyes, I'm sure they'd have a problem with that too.
Now that you mention it, I'll have to spend all my time observing how people blink. Nothing like pointing out rationales and then making a uber-irrational statement. Hypocrite much?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Here's the problem. By the time Obama was asked to comment on this case the race pimps and the mainstream media had made the killing of Martin into a racial incident. By highlighting Martin's appearance Obama played to that narrative. In other words he validated the unfounded assumptions of the black community that Zimmerman targeted Martin because of his race. Highly irresponsible given the tense atmosphere in that community. His job was to try to diffuse the racial tensions, not exacerbate them. Add that to his record of failures.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
I have serious issues with Obama's politics. I don’t dislike the man personally... but here you go.

There was a time in this country when a president would not make prejudicial comments about open legal cases.

Mr. Obama having a juris doctorate should be able to understand what that means.

Ostensibly he does as he prefaced his prejudicial comments by stating he should not comment.

As for what Mr. Obama stated, in proper context, they could and should be seen as poignant and quite presidential… but the context was all wrong.

Leaders have a responsibility to never ever falsely influence legal matters. He did that with his comments. It was an open case. ANYTHING other than, “I can’t comment on an open case” was out of line.

Now, in the aftermath of a verdict, regardless of the outcome of the case itself, what Mr. Obama said would have been well received. They would have been seen as appropriate and presidential. But you don’t get to be both presidential and prejudicial. The terms are mutually exclusive.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Here's the problem. By the time Obama was asked to comment on this case the race pimps and the mainstream media had made the killing of Martin into a racial incident. By highlighting Martin's appearance Obama played to that narrative. In other words he validated the unfounded assumptions of the black community that Zimmerman targeted Martin because of his race. Highly irresponsible given the tense atmosphere in that community. His job was to try to diffuse the racial tensions, not exacerbate them. Add that to his record of failures.
When has anyone witnessed Obama defusing a racially charged issue? The closest he comes is through innuendo and talking from the side of his mouth. He should have left it, at "I can't comment," only to give into his narcissistic need to comment. Typical.

Where's the outrage towards the racially motivated flash beatings by black and hispanic youth on predominantly white pedestrians? This is a new fad that's happening in over 30 major cities.

Downtown Greensboro "Flash Mob" Beating Investigated By Police | digtriad.com
Minneapolis flash mob beatings: Victim details "sudden" attack on Saturday night, March 31 - Minneapolis News - The Blotter
Flash-mob-victim:-
Philadelphia Bus Shooting, Flash Mob Beatings Kept NABJ Attendees on High Alert | Rolling Out - Black News, Celebrity Videos, Entertainment, Business & Politics

Funny how there's little mention of this, yet one incident is used as a match to flame up racial tension. Zero sense in a senseless world.

Bus shooting suspects captured on camera just before they open fire

One could make the case that if Obama had a son, he could well look like one of these thugs, also. He had no business injecting himself, personally, into this sad situation.

Last edited by steven_h; 04-24-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I find your thread title racist and offensive.

As for the rest of the question: He should have stopped at the first paragraph. Period. As president, the other things he said were not appropriate and took sides in the matter.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What if is had been a white kid and we had a white president, and that president said the same thing. Would it be about race then?
If the suspect had been black? You bet your behind it would have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies