Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times

Advertisements

Here is the entire exchange in it's entirety:

Quote:
Q Mr. President, may I ask you about this current case in Florida, very controversial, allegations of lingering racism within our society -- the so-called do not -- I'm sorry -- Stand Your Ground law and the justice in that? Can you comment on the Trayvon Martin case, sir?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I’m the head of the executive branch, and the Attorney General reports to me so I’ve got to be careful about my statements to make sure that we’re not impairing any investigation that’s taking place right now.

But obviously, this is a tragedy. I can only imagine what these parents are going through. And when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids. And I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this, and that everybody pulls together -- federal, state and local -- to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened.

So I'm glad that not only is the Justice Department looking into it, I understand now that the governor of the state of Florida has formed a task force to investigate what's taking place. I think all of us have to do some soul searching to figure out how does something like this happen. And that means that examine the laws and the context for what happened, as well as the specifics of the incident.

But my main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon. And I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves, and that we're going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.
Thank you.
President Obama Nominates Jim Yong Kim for World Bank President | The White House
-----------

Now I will paint myself white just for a moment. Let's say the LA riots are happening and the innocent bystander, Reginald Denney's beating was broadcasted worldwide for all to see and then President Bush made this same statement about Denney looking like one of his sons. I honestly would not be offended by it.

The transcript above is basically telling everyone, black/white/hispanic/asian etc., to understand the seriousness of this tragedy and get to the bottom of exactly what happened. No racial overtones whatsoever.

Some of you totally ignored what was said before the "if I had a son" scenario. Ran with that and made a mountain out of a mole hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
the 'if i had a son' comment wasn't that big of a deal to me, particularly since he was asked to comment. but comparing this to the reginald denny case, where the whole thing is on film and there is absolutely no question who held what degree of fault, is quite a stretch, to say the least.

btw, i'm not an obama hater so you are free to disregard this comment.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
He was doing fine until:

Quote:
But my main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon

I think the other points he made should have been the main message, not a message to the parents. What would he say if there was a similar situation that was so controversial and the victim was white?

Maybe he should have said: "If that was my child"........which is what most parents would say.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM

639 posts, read 828,001 times
if someone is a racist, they would be offended

Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
if someone is a racist, they would be offended

I think maybe birthers and teabaggers spewed some phony outrage, too.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Had he not made his comments personal, by saying what he did, there would not have been much of a backlash.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM

639 posts, read 828,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I think maybe birthers and teabaggers spewed some phony outrage, too.
I don't like Obama, I voted for Ron Paul in primary, but it is clearly bs

Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Obama did not foment violence by that statement. The usual suspects are (fake) outraged by it.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
People are more than what they look like. It was an ignorant statement.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 AM

568 posts, read 961,805 times
Now if that Other black man who was running for president on the other side had said that...he would be cannonized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies