Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM

63 posts, read 51,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
sounds like you WANT a totalitarian "Herr, eist papers in order" type of society
Stop avoiding the question with embarrassingly silly personal attacks. That doesn't fool anyone.

Answer the question, or be prepared to admit that you're talking out of your..league.

It's not a "gotcha." I want to know why you think flying in a plane is a right you have as an American. Very simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
there are retired NYPD/LAPD etc that would do a way better job than these clowns
Chances are that there are indeed retired police officers working for the TSA. Whatever the case,the clowns haven`t had a plane hijacked and flown into a building yet.
Is anyone aware of any organization with over 100,000 employees that doesn`t have a few idiots on the payroll? Should we disband our military because some soldiers are in jail for murdering innocent people? Just asking.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Does the government own the airports, the airplanes and the sky?

Oh wait who is the government? Its us, remember?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Does the government own the airports, the airplanes and the sky?

Oh wait who is the government? Its us, remember?
Does the government own the ocean?

Then why do they impose fishing regulations?

Freakin' Nazi Germany all over again, man.

No...

Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Chances are that there are indeed retired police officers working for the TSA. Whatever the case,the clowns haven`t had a plane hijacked and flown into a building yet.
Is anyone aware of any organization with over 100,000 employees that doesn`t have a few idiots on the payroll? Should we disband our military because some soldiers are in jail for murdering innocent people? Just asking.
I have been rubbing flower petals on my groin since 9/11 and we haven't had attack since then. I'd say my actions are about as responsible for air travel safety as thinking a state run bureaucracy with minimal hiring standards is getting it done.

Let the airlines handle security. If you don't like it, you can refuse to fly.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Actually it was the airlines that were "handling" security on 9-11. It was they who hired the lowest bidding security contractors and they got what they paid for.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Actually it was the airlines that were "handling" security on 9-11. It was they who hired the lowest bidding security contractors and they got what they paid for.
It was the FAA that banned guns in the cockpit.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
I have problems with this article.

Unless your 4 year old has a developmental disorder or something, you should be able to get her to be a big girl at the airport. That she was hysterical and crying through the whole ordeal whilst her family was present to calm her, to me, speaks to other problems.
Do you have children? Do you know that they don't always respond reasonably? Have you ever seen tantrums thrown when a kid doesn't get the candy or toy in the store he/she wants? Have you seen a child be completely and utterly upset because somebody is leaving? The only thing that speaks to other problems is that you seem to believe that such behavior is unnatural.

Quote:
Further, what would you have the TSA do? At an organizational level, clearly SOP must be very structured and leave little room for individual discretion; TSA can't afford to employ people with police academy training and lawsuits are a huge concern. So, they clearly must follow some extremely structured policy.
How about responding in a responsible and human manner. There is no reason to be the scary authoritarian with a little child in this situation. This is not a matter of receiving police academy training - it's a matter of being a decent and normal person who can distinguish a real threat from a child being upset and not responding like an adult.

Quote:
With this in mind, what would you have the officers in question do? They aren't allowed to say "OK, the little girl is probably just being a little girl, and is not a threat." Yes, probably. But it's completely possible that the girl had a gun.
Just about every job allows for discretion. You don't need to give a speeding ticket to an elderly man whose wife is having a heart attack and who is on the way to a hospital. You also don't have to escalate a situation like this.

Quote:
Flying is a privilege, not a right. I don't get the TSA hate. They have serious looks on their faces because they have serious jobs, and serious consequences to live with if they screw the pooch.
Even if one were to accept this premise, acting upon a granted privilege does not mean that a person has to abandon all other rights.

Quote:
Some Americans desperately want to believe that we live in a totalitarian nation. It helps justify their own failures if they believe the country has gone to sh**. Not accusing you of this per say OP, just pointing out the phenomena...
You know, if an organization acts in a totalitarian manner, one might as well call a spade a spade. At the very least, this is abuse of power.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 PM

Vamos, I don't disagree with a single thing you said (cept' for the totalitarian stuff. For god sakes...) I read the article and didn't see any obvious evidence that the TSA was being unreasonable. The family says they were intimidating the girl, but didn't get specific.

It turns out it was just a little girl being a little girl. But it absolutely could have been a situation where she had a gun. We laugh but the reality is, its not an uncommon tactic.

Consider if the girl did have a gun, and something bad happened. "Political correctness costing lives" would be the conservative mantra.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Vamos, I don't disagree with a single thing you said (cept' for the totalitarian stuff. For god sakes...) I read the article and didn't see any obvious evidence that the TSA was being unreasonable. The family says they were intimidating the girl, but didn't get specific.

It turns out it was just a little girl being a little girl. But it absolutely could have been a situation where she had a gun. We laugh but the reality is, its not an uncommon tactic.

Consider if the girl did have a gun, and something bad happened. "Political correctness costing lives" would be the conservative mantra.
Well, I don't think that the US is totalitarian, either - and that this incident is evidence of such. I do understand, though, that some people may perceive it as such. However, I do believe that the behavior by TSA agents was disproportionate to the possibility of a real threat and that it was inappropriate.

Obviously, it's a narrow space between neglecting security (being overly politically correct, as you term it) and being overly aggressive to the point where reason is abandoned. To me, TSA misstepped into the region of craziness here - at least that's how it comes across to me from reading the article.

As a parent, I would have been absolutely livid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies