Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times

Advertisements

notice all the veggies on some of the lunches! More veggies the right idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Very interesting. Thank you.

I notice, a lot of the Asian countries plates looks like a lot of food for kids yet they are not overweight.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The USA lunches looked like crap in comparison to the others!

But then again, Ketchup is a vegetable here in America.
Except the one where they were eating avocado. Don't get me wrong, avocados can be filling if you eat enough of them, but just one? Naaa.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I would love to go to school in one of the Asian countries. Those lunches look yummy.
Except for the rice and fish (sorry, I don't like rice or fish).

Seriously, some of those foreign lunches DO look really good - I mean, a whole artichoke? Wow. I'm a cook in an American high school cafeteria, and the kids do seem to want nothing but pizza, chicken sandwiches, and fries. We have a main line lunch where we are trying to introduce different, healthier foods, but the kids will still opt for the ala carte. Yesterday, we had roast turkey, REAL turkey, not the processed crap (believe me, I know, because I roasted and sliced it) and you would be amazed how many of the kids passed on it.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
In many countries lunch is the main meal of the day, with dinner being a smaller side dish after work/school, mostly later in the evening. In the USA lunch can tend to be a smaller meal, and we load up on the main meal at dinner.

This might be why the lunches look "better" in other countries. It's suppose to be the main large meal of the day. Of course you'd expect the USA should have smaller lunches than other countries....but look at how big we are compred to everyone else.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Our meals look like crap. They haven't changed much since I went to school in the 70's. Doesn't look like they will ever change as long as republicans keep blocking any attempt to make them healthier.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:54 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Ugh, I wouldn't feed most of what is on the trays for the U.S. lunches to my dogs. Yuck!!!!

Last edited by helenejen; 04-26-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
I think that someone is trying to recruit American kids to their countries and pictures of what we think of as very pretty and satisfying just may not appeal to most American kids. We had one lady who is a cook in an American school talk about our kids and not one soul replied to her. I think it might take more than pictures of food to recruit many American kids.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Interesting. Most of these foods would end up in the trash can if presented to kids in the USA. I do think we should get away from all the fried and processed food and try to offer more simple, fresh food; bagels, fresh fruit, raw veggies, peanut butter, cheese, yogurt, milk, etc. When the schools try to emulate the foreign healthy dishes, it is a massive failure. Just stick to a simple fresh menu.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that someone is trying to recruit American kids to their countries and pictures of what we think of as very pretty and satisfying just may not appeal to most American kids. We had one lady who is a cook in an American school talk about our kids and not one soul replied to her. I think it might take more than pictures of food to recruit many American kids.
Wow. Other countries want to recruit American kids with photos of school meals What would other countries do with American kids, chop them into pieces and serve them to their own kids for lunch

Why is it so difficult to acknowledge that other countries probably give their kids better, healthier food than Americans do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies