Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,590,047 times

Advertisements

The entire program should be fedralized and the private banks removed from the system. Pay off the banks and then have the government make the loans directly to the students and have them pay a permenant surcharge on their income tax to pay of the loans.

CVurrently the private banks take no risks for their profits and are thus ripping off all of us.

I would like to see Romney push for the higher interest rates starting this summer. That would, from his party's point of view, make the system much more fair and secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This is now the latest attack from the GOP, they have declared war on students.

Why has Obama declared war on drivers? War on drivers you ask? Well Obama isn't paying for my Mercedes, so he must have declared war on drivers.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,783,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
Should Congress extend the low rates on student loans ? What are the consequences if they don't ? Is it worth funding ? What is the proper role of the federal government in funding access to higher education ? And what about the actual field of studies - should the government invest more in an electrical engineer, pre-med student, computer scientist vs. a liberal arts student ?

"Republicans have been grousing over the $6-billion cost to keep the loans at the 3.4% rate for another year. The legislation was first approved in 2007 and is set to expire July 1, which would result in a doubling of interest rates to 6.8% for about 7 million students."GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney this week threw his support behind keeping interest rates low, and Republicans appear to be reluctant to pick a fight in an election year over an issue that resonates with middle-class households.

“I don't think anybody believes this interest rate ought to be allowed to rise. The question is, how do you pay for it?” said Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the GOP leader. “How long do you do the extension?”
No problem the Chinese are paying for it as long as they keep buying our worthless bonds...they stop...then what?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The entire program should be fedralized and the private banks removed from the system. Pay off the banks and then have the government make the loans directly to the students and have them pay a permenant surcharge on their income tax to pay of the loans.

CVurrently the private banks take no risks for their profits and are thus ripping off all of us.

I would like to see Romney push for the higher interest rates starting this summer. That would, from his party's point of view, make the system much more fair and secure.

Of course Romney wants to keep the rates down, unlike Obama, he wants it to be more than a one year election gimmick. Romney wants to make it sustainable. This is leadership, unlike Obama's cynically political 1 year extension.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM

16,870 posts, read 10,505,381 times
I have no problem allowing low interest student loans. However, something must be done about the way these loans influence tuition rates. All of that "free money" is one of the reasons that tuition continues to skyrocket. If a school wants to accept federal student loan money, then it should have to agree to a percentage cap on yearly tuition hikes.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,812,931 times
Get the government out of the student loan business!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,335,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
I needed about 10k a year of Stafford loans to pay for college, now that I’m graduating this spring my school requires my department to take a internship course which is 12 credits. Since I already exploited my 4years (8 semesters) of Pell grants, I need to loan my total tuition for my internship, which is 5k. I attend a small state university that isn’t expensive as most big universities (about 16k yearly) so I’m not in as much debt as some people who went to the Penn States & University of Pittsburgh. So I have to take a 5k Stafford loan for my internship FML!!!

But anyways; sorry republicans I don't have an extra 5k in cash laying around maybe I should drop out and work at Wal-Mart! GOP you suck!
I don't happen to have an extra $5k laying around to pay your way either. Perhaps you should go to work at WM for a couple months and put some cash away to invest in YOUR future.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM

893 posts, read 1,319,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't happen to have an extra $5k laying around to pay your way either. Perhaps you should go to work at WM for a couple months and put some cash away to invest in YOUR future.
Thats not the issue there are people who do have it; for example president obama & romney they both have it. Without a college degree I most likely will not land a solid job. Therefore I probably won't be able to buy a car, house, tv from bestbuy all those things that help stimulate the economy.

When has it become in the nation that we do not want to see our children succeed? Do the ceo's and managers of companies realize that one day they will be dead, and who is going to take there positions?

United States needs to wake up and realize that china & japan are whooping our butts because they "GET IT" they are investing in their children.

So basically what you are saying is stop going to school, work at walmart for a year (1 less year of me obtaining valuable experience in my field) with the whole $7.50 they are willing to pay

$7.50*40=300*4months=1200*12months=14400-taxes= down to around 11K-5ktution = 6k yeah sure I could live off 6k a year. That a whole 500$ a month

& thats if Walmart even allows employee's to work 40/hr weeks which i doubt.

So sorry mr. your logic doesn't work.

Just let federal govt control student loans and get these privatize bankers out of it! Because they're filled with greed! tax my loans 6% so they receive that extra $$ to send their children to the best schools. The rich get richer and us people who don't come from money don't stand a chance.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Just let federal govt control student loans and get these privatize bankers out of it! Because they're filled with greed! tax my loans 6% so they receive that extra $$ to send their children to the best schools. The rich get richer and us people who don't come from money don't stand a chance.
Sounds like you are doing pretty dang well. Why did you not take a little personal responsibility and make arrangements for your future as you've gone through school.
My father worked a day job and went to night school for about 12 years to get his degree and no one gave him a loan or supported his family. Are you so weak that you can't do the same ?

I have no sympathy for you. Work your way through school just like my whole family has done.

Give me, give me, give me.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 AM

893 posts, read 1,319,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Boy, oh, boy. Is this what colleges are churning out these days? I wouldn't hire you if you were the last able-bodied adult walking this planet.

Man, I hope you learn alot in the next few years of your life. Because as of right now, you're on the wrong track. That college degree likely won't overcome the "hate the successful, give me my handout" mentality that you clearly possess. That's bad for you, and that's bad for America. I predict a year from now you'll be signing petitions for a student loan bailout.

Put a fork in this nation, we're done.

Fortunately i landed a very valuable internship in my field that i start next week, without that college degree I wouldn't not have even landed the interview. I don't have hate for people who are successful i have hate for people who are not willing to invest in my peers and I! The young people who will be entering the workforce within the next few years! The people who will have your job once you die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies