Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM

894 posts, read 1,324,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sounds like you are doing pretty dang well. Why did you not take a little personal responsibility and make arrangements for your future as you've gone through school.
My father worked a day job and went to night school for about 12 years to get his degree and no one gave him a loan or supported his family. Are you so weak that you can't do the same ?

I have no sympathy for you. Work your way through school just like my whole family has done.

Give me, give me, give me.

Thats awesome you father achieve the american dream!!! What Im saying is it shouldn't be that difficult it shouldnt take a man 12 years to obtain a degree! That is not good; that means more stress, which leads to health problems which lead to higher health care cost (which is a whole different story) get your head from up you're A-- and come to the conclusion that YOU yes you SHOULD be willing to invest in the youth of today! because ummm we are the future...

I cant stand that back in my day sh-t well guess what its a new day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
If banks can borrow at the discount rate window, why shouldn't students be allowed to?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
What did folks expect when the government took control of this nonsense and now they make it into a political republicans hate students pile of poop. He's out screeching on college campuses about this now.

I wonder what Obama did when he actually had a chance to vote on such a bill in the past........hmmmm...........well he was so concerned he didn't even show up to vote.

In 2007, then-Illinois Sen. Barack Obama missed two votes on the student loan interest bill that he now wants Congress to extend.
Obama twice skipped the Senate vote on the College Cost Reduction and Access Act when the bill came to the Senate floor first in July and again in September of 2007, according to public records.

As senator, Obama missed votes on student loan bill he now wants to extend - POLITICO.com

Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Does it even matter? The student loan bubble is about to burst anyway and everybody will get a pass and the taxpayers will bail out the banks again. Just sit tight and watch.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
Should Congress extend the low rates on student loans ? What are the consequences if they don't ? Is it worth funding ? What is the proper role of the federal government in funding access to higher education ? And what about the actual field of studies - should the government invest more in an electrical engineer, pre-med student, computer scientist vs. a liberal arts student ?

"Republicans have been grousing over the $6-billion cost to keep the loans at the 3.4% rate for another year. The legislation was first approved in 2007 and is set to expire July 1, which would result in a doubling of interest rates to 6.8% for about 7 million students."GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney this week threw his support behind keeping interest rates low, and Republicans appear to be reluctant to pick a fight in an election year over an issue that resonates with middle-class households.

“I don't think anybody believes this interest rate ought to be allowed to rise. The question is, how do you pay for it?” said Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the GOP leader. “How long do you do the extension?”
Of course the idiot repukes would whine about student loans. They would rather give billion dollar tax breaks to corporations. We are already falling behind the civilized world. When only the wealthy can afford a college education we can officially be classified as a "developing" nation.

And how many of the repuke hypocrites have used every gov program available for their own education? God we have to vote these morons out.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Fortunately i landed a very valuable internship in my field that i start next week, without that college degree I wouldn't not have even landed the interview. I don't have hate for people who are successful i have hate for people who are not willing to invest in my peers and I! The young people who will be entering the workforce within the next few years! The people who will have your job once you die.
I love this whole euphemism the left has embraced. If you want taxpayers to pay for something, it's an investment. It's not a handout, oh goodness no!

The bottom line is this this. If you can't afford to repay your student loans, don't take them out. If it's a good investment, then the free market should bear that out. I don't think a low interest rate loan for a gender studies education is a good investment. Each major should have it's own rate based on the rate of return, like someone else said.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Should Congress extend the low rates on student loans ?
No. Below Market Value Interest Rates cause Interest Inflation. That's one reason home values were highly over-inflated, and why that is being corrected now. It's also why you pay more for automobiles.

Raise rates on Student Loans and university tuition will decline.

Quote:
What are the consequences if they don't ?
Tuition will continue to increase, and you'll continue to crank out, um, "college graduates" (and I use the term very loosely) who will owe $Thousands but will be unable to find work (unless they leave the US).

Quote:
Is it worth funding ?
No, not under any circumstances.

Quote:
What is the proper role of the federal government in funding access to higher education ?
None.

All forms of education are expressly under the sole control of the States.

Quote:
And what about the actual field of studies - should the government invest more in an electrical engineer, pre-med student, computer scientist vs. a liberal arts student ?
Nyet.

The government has done enough social engineering. Time to give it break for several millennium.

Quote:
"Republicans have been grousing over the $6-billion cost to keep the loans at the 3.4% rate for another year.
Which part of "you don't have the money" do you all not understand?

You don't have the money for Social Security; you don't have the money for Medicare; you don't have the money for Medicaid; you don't have the money for Obamacare; you don't have the money to keep throwing around.

You will have to choose which programs you want, and which ones you don't.

Choose wisely.

Quote:
The legislation was first approved in 2007 and is set to expire July 1, which would result in a doubling of interest rates to 6.8% for about 7 million students."GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney this week threw his support behind keeping interest rates low, and Republicans appear to be reluctant to pick a fight in an election year over an issue that resonates with middle-class households.

“I don't think anybody believes this interest rate ought to be allowed to rise. The question is, how do you pay for it?” said Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the GOP leader. “How long do you do the extension?”
Um, I worked part-time and full-time to pay for both of my degrees, plus graduate school.

I don't consider myself to be anything other than ordinary, so if I can do it, so can others.

Constitutionally...

Mircea

Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Thats not the issue there are people who do have it; for example president obama & romney they both have it. Without a college degree I most likely will not land a solid job. Therefore I probably won't be able to buy a car, house, tv from bestbuy all those things that help stimulate the economy.

When has it become in the nation that we do not want to see our children succeed? Do the ceo's and managers of companies realize that one day they will be dead, and who is going to take there positions?

United States needs to wake up and realize that china & japan are whooping our butts because they "GET IT" they are investing in their children.

So basically what you are saying is stop going to school, work at walmart for a year (1 less year of me obtaining valuable experience in my field) with the whole $7.50 they are willing to pay

$7.50*40=300*4months=1200*12months=14400-taxes= down to around 11K-5ktution = 6k yeah sure I could live off 6k a year. That a whole 500$ a month

& thats if Walmart even allows employee's to work 40/hr weeks which i doubt.

So sorry mr. your logic doesn't work.

Just let federal govt control student loans and get these privatize bankers out of it! Because they're filled with greed! tax my loans 6% so they receive that extra $$ to send their children to the best schools. The rich get richer and us people who don't come from money don't stand a chance.
Who says you only have to work one job while trying to put money away? Or (heaven forbid) actually work during school? Yet you seem perfectly happy to force others to work to pay your way.

I do feel for you, college costs have gotten out of control. That is largely due to the greed of the educational industry. They need to loose enrollment due to their excessive costs and bring them back to an affordable level.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Fortunately i landed a very valuable internship in my field that i start next week, without that college degree I wouldn't not have even landed the interview. I don't have hate for people who are successful i have hate for people who are not willing to invest in my peers and I! The young people who will be entering the workforce within the next few years! The people who will have your job once you die.
You have federal student loans extended to you by taxpayers. You have received free money through Pell Grants. Your fellow citizens HAVE invested in you and your peers.

As I said before, I hope you learn alot in the next few years of your life. As of now, you simply don't get it.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,337 times
But but but.......nobody forces kids to go to college............LOL end sarcasm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies