Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I know it's not going to matter to this crowd because being outraged is far more important that actually KNOWING what you're talking about.

But...for the few who MIGHT be interested in the truth, here is a side by side comparison of the current rules and and the new, proposed rules. Note the first one especially.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Child Labor - Side by Side NPRM (http://www.dol.gov/whd/CL/SidebySideNPRM.htm - broken link)

Now what do you have to say?
Thanks for the link. Perfectly illustrates the typical mission creep we get from fedguv.
This is the sort of thing that individual states should oversee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
Quote:
Well...that depends upon how you define corporate farming. Most family farms are incorporated for tax purposes and, hence, are counted in the "corporate farming" category. They're still family farms, though some of them are quite large.

For instance, take a look at Peri and Son's, a family/corporate operation which farms several thousand acres in Nevada and California. How would you categorize them?

The Farm Belt is doing alright. Exports are up, prices are stable and I haven't seen many depressed farming towns as I go around the country.

Frankenfood crops, insecticides, antibiotics and hormone-laced meat is another subject. However, it should be noted that since most farms are still family operations, if you have an issue with all that, maybe those farmers are who you should be talking to. Nobody forces a beef producer to feed his cows growth hormones, you know. They do it voluntarily to meet weight targets. Pounds=$.
You must not get out much or recently. You have no clue what you are talking about. Rural communities have been destroyed by migrant workers, factory farms, government bureaucracy etc.

Nobody forces American students to take on all that debt to go to college. Student loans = $ for the bankers........

People like you fail to see the lunacy in your own way of thinking.

Never heard of Peri and Son's but if they are farming several thousand acres in two states more than likely they are under contract with a huge agri company or food producer and so I would categorize them as "factory" corporate farming. I buy all my 100% grass fed meat from a true family farm.........him and his wife and their two kids work the land, raise the cattle, all on their own. No government subsidies. No migrant labor etc. THOSE are the farmers that are truly family farms and are a backbone a healthy food supply.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How is standardizing safety instruction an attack on farm kids? I did farm work as a child and some of it was very dangerous. Some of it still is and should not be done by children with or without proper training.

Is it possible that you would oppose ANY increased government control, power and regulation? I guess not.

How about this. Let's outlaw all farm work. That would totally end farm injuries.

Or maybe you would support a new government training class for young boys on how to pee without getting any on the seat.

Is there anything at all that you can do without government telling you how to do it?

We don't need our huge bloated government telling farmers how to do their jobs.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Oh please, if it was up to you libs (who probably also live in a big city) you'd put helmets and knee pads on farmers' kids. How many hundreds of years without this regulation and now all of a sudden Obama thinks we need it. I've got news for you. It has nothing to do with farms or kids. It has to do with more regulation and increasing the size of government..

Correct. The nanny state grows every year and Obama is the leader of big government control. He is the Big Government gift that just keeps on giving. He wants to tell us what we can eat, drink, smoke and say. He opposes free speech. He wants to tell parents how to raise their kids. Obama and the Dems are as far removed from freedom that anyone could possibly get.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
My son is old enough to start cutting grass this year, do you think I should send him off to a government school in order to have him trained?
Well if Obama has his dang way, the way it is going, Obama is going to want control of everything and everyone!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I know it's not going to matter to this crowd because being outraged is far more important that actually KNOWING what you're talking about.

But...for the few who MIGHT be interested in the truth, here is a side by side comparison of the current rules and and the new, proposed rules. Note the first one especially.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Child Labor - Side by Side NPRM (http://www.dol.gov/whd/CL/SidebySideNPRM.htm - broken link)

Now what do you have to say?
Doesn't change my opinion. We don't need government telling farmers that a 15 YO can't work with farm animals.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How is standardizing safety instruction an attack on farm kids? I did farm work as a child and some of it was very dangerous. Some of it still is and should not be done by children with or without proper training. You RWNJ's will call any potential regulation, even if it results in fewer injuries and/or death, an attack on your “Freedom” to endanger others for your own profit or personal aggrandizement.

I have a better idea using existing law. If a farm, or any other family, has kids working at dangerous jobs and the child is hurt or killed, then the farm operator should be prosecuted for negligence or manslaughter. That is just a way for forcing the boss to take personal responsibility for what he does. Do you have any problem with that?
Yes I have a problem with that. Government is incompetent far more often than not. I don't want them regulating everything the way nannystaters like yourself do.
How about we ban swimming pools in back yards? How about we ban bicycles or force families to attend a federal government endorsed 25 hour safety course on how to ride a bicycle and another 15 hour course on wearing a helmet? For rural families, no more swimming at the lake without a NannyGov approved swimming and safety course and don't forget we'll need a whole slew of overpaid, underworking bureaucrats that will expect expensive health insurance, pensions, 6 weeks of vacation and 6 weeks of paid sick leave just to monitor all places where swimming takes place.
Next up, lets ban all household chemicals that can be fatal if swallowed since that is one of the top causes of accidental death, along with auto accidents and fires. Speaking of which, time to ban children traveling in cars, and all lighters, matches, candles, and any other source of sparks or flames that could start a fire.
Thats the reason that even though I'm highly dissatisfied with the Republican party and left, I would NEVER join the nannystaters. They will come up with ANYTHING to grow the size of government and take away liberty.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Even if these new regulations allow kids to continue to work on their parents farms, what about single farmers or those with children who have moved on who hire kids to do mundane farm chores the farmer doesn't have time for? He either has to pay a farmhand at a much higher wage to do it or he has to be there to supervise the kids he hires, when the whole point is to hire kids to take care of simple chores the farmer doesn't have time for.

Me and my brother were often hired by neighbors to do simple farm chores so they didn't have to worry about them and could focus on the main aspects of running their farm. This would no longer be an option unless they're your own kids.

It would be probably be a better option for single farmers to adopt kids as future farm workers than to worry about finding and hiring reliable farmhands
Or hire illegals.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I wonder how it is going to affect the Amish? I often see some really young kids driving teams and wagons and working out in the fields around here. That's what those kids are trained for. I think they only go to school up to the age of 13.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,045 times
All four of my boys work at my parents haying every summer. It's how they make their money for their vehicles and college. My question is....How are they going to regulate this? If the kid-farming Nazi comes while one of my boys happens to be running the bale sweep, my boy is just going to say he's "helping" Grampa without any money exchanging hands. Nothing illegal about Grampa teaching his Grandson how to run a bale sweep. Get real, this is just another law Obama has come up with to "control". The only downfall I see if they find a way to control it is a lot of kids aren't going to be able to save up for college and be forced to take out student loans or default on loans because they just lost a guarenteed summer job. My boys will continue to hay every summer until they go off to college and nobody is going to tell us any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies