Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonYeti View Post
Point taken, but can you honestly say that Geo W had all the answers? He is the one who was in charge when the bailout started, not Obama, as many believe.
Can you show me anywhere in my post where I mentioned, or related too, or indicated anything about GWB?
Unlike many on here I am not a party hardliner.
Unlike many on here I don't use past presidents as an excuse, or a get out of jail free card for the current president.
So please show me where I mentioned or indicated that GWB was free of any blame.
You brought it up so. I think if you check that you will find that the Dems held the majority in both the house and senate when the bailout was started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How is standardizing safety instruction an attack on farm kids? I did farm work as a child and some of it was very dangerous. Some of it still is and should not be done by children with or without proper training. You RWNJ's will call any potential regulation, even if it results in fewer injuries and/or death, an attack on your “Freedom” to endanger others for your own profit or personal aggrandizement.

I have a better idea using existing law. If a farm, or any other family, has kids working at dangerous jobs and the child is hurt or killed, then the farm operator should be prosecuted for negligence or manslaughter. That is just a way for forcing the boss to take personal responsibility for what he does. Do you have any problem with that?
Yes, I have a problem with that. I was raised on a farm and driving a tractor by the time I was 10. I loved it. I lived for it. I'm a better person for it.
You, obviously, don't even know where steak comes from.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Yup -

Where I used to live, and some years ago, a woman was trying to keep her dairy operating after her husband had walked out on her and their kids.

Her oldest son - who was ten or eleven at the time - was operating the tractor or a baler or something (I can't remember - it's been like 25 years ago) and he got his arm caught in the machinery and ripped off.

He was the same age as my oldest son at that time (he'd be around 35 or so now) and is spending the rest of his life with one arm.
Oh, blah blah blah, for Pete's sake.

How many kids get their limbs ripped off sitting in a freakin' car their parent is driving down the road? Based on your ridiculous thought process, we should get all kids out of cars.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM

478 posts, read 784,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Can you show me anywhere in my post where I mentioned, or related too, or indicated anything about GWB?
Unlike many on here I am not a party hardliner.
Unlike many on here I don't use past presidents as an excuse, or a get out of jail free card for the current president.
So please show me where I mentioned or indicated that GWB was free of any blame.
You brought it up so. I think if you check that you will find that the Dems held the majority in both the house and senate when the bailout was started.
I wasn't aiming it at you. There are many posts here.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times
Default Obama's EPA admits they are out to destroy America

oops

Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Obama, who has probably never even seen a farm...

A proposal from the Obama administration to prevent children from doing farm chores has drawn plenty of criticism from rural-district member of Congress. But now it’s attracting barbs from farm kids themselves. The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families’ land.

And if it isn't bad enough to tell families what they can do on their own farms with their own kids:

"The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course."

They came up with this brainstorm after going to farms to check out migrant worker safety. God forbid rural kids learn responsibility and the farm business from their parents.

Child Labor Laws | Farming | Department of Labor | The Daily Caller

So why do it now if farm accidents among youth fell nearly 40 percent between 2001 and 2009, to 7.2 injuries per 1,000 farms?

Maybe it's all of that kid farm life experience of President Obama and Hilda Solis...oops no, Solis' father was a teamster shop steward in a battery recycling plant and her mother worked for Mattel. Obama?

“Although there are an awful lot of farms in Illinois, in the neighborhood where I live, the main livestock is squirrels,” said Mr. Obama, who lives on Chicago’s South Side. “So I don’t pretend to know everything there is to know about agricultural issues.”

Obama's Down on the Farm - NYTimes.com

Well, he does like to eat arugula (A side note to Romney, next time BO makes a rich guy comment you might want to go back to his 2007 arugula comment: “Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?” the senator said. “I mean, they’re charging a lot of money for this stuff.”) I think that's the closest he's been to farm life. But, I digress...

Obama's Down on the Farm - NYTimes.com

Hey I know, now we can grow the government some more by adding more regulators and inspectors to be in our personal business. During the Obama administration (last 3 years) he's grown the Labor Department’s Wage and Hour Division (inspectors who go out to the farms) from 30% to 40%.
Yawn! Not this again. This is at least the third thread about this law, and the RWs get it wrong every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I grew up on a small family farm in the 80's and 90's, doing simple chores by the time I was 8 and running machines by my early teens. Growing up on a farm is hard work for the kids, but the only way to run a small family farm, the only way to teach the trade of farming to a kid who wants to take over dad's farm and a great method of instilling good work ethics in kids. Without the whole family pitching in, running a farm is basically impossible without hired help, so this is a direct attack on small family farms. This legislation could be potentially crippling to thousands of small farms across the country.

The thing is, at least where I grew up, these laws would never be enforced. There's just not enough resources to implement these laws in sparsely-populated farm country. And regardless, most small-town police would just crack jokes if they caught a 13-year-old driving a tractor down a gravel road.
See posts #15 and 26.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...nt/da6188.html

http://www.hicahs.colostate.edu/Documents/Factsheets/childrenonthefarm.pdf (broken link)
***Farm children are twice as likely to die from an accident than their urban counterparts
• An estimated 30,000 children under 20 years of age are injured each year in farming accidents

Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
What's more dangerous for a 12 year old:

1. A small family farm

2. The New York Subway

3. A walk to school in Chicago

Govt should stay out of the farms or family businesses.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Well gee. Let's just go back to the 19th century when states DID have control and kids as young as 6 or 7 were working in mines 7 days a week for fifty cents. Or, cotton mills. Or, gunpowder manufacturing.

Screw 'em, right? Let the little bastid's contribute to society.
Capitalism has improved our working conditions and standard of living to where such laws are irrelevant.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,525,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Capitalism has improved our working conditions and standard of living to where such laws are irrelevant.
ROFLMAO! You can't really be serious?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
ROFLMAO! You can't really be serious?
I guess a law is the only thing keeping you from sending your children to work at the slaughterhouse then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies