U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,817,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Ya'll make it sound that libertarians don't believe in charity. We do, just responsible face to face charity ala Ben Franklin.
Someone should tell Jeff Bezos, local libertarian, that libertarians are supposed to give money to charity.

"In a 2010 interview with PBS' Charlie Rose, Bezos expressed doubt that philanthropy was the best way to solve social problems. "I'm convinced that in many cases, for-profit models improve the world more than philanthropy models, if they can be made to work.""

Business & Technology | Amazon a virtual no-show in hometown philanthropy | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 PM

11,364 posts, read 3,811,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
libertarians believe in looking out for themselves, and whoever is left behind is just dead weight.
Liberals believe that reaching into x's pocket, taking x's cash, and giving it to y, constitutes charity. Libertarians believe in reaching into their own pocket, not someone else's pocket.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 PM

24,617 posts, read 26,444,827 times
Quote:
lets break it down. liberals= disabled, old people, poor, minorities, women, GOP= rich old white guys, Libertarians= darwinism
Quote:
libertarians are like Drago from Rocky IV. If he dies, he dies. They are purely survival of the fittest. They make republicans look like they actually have a heart for somebody who isn't rich.
Ummm, no... not quite, on all accounts. Please learn a little more about our (libertarian) beliefs, before saying such ridiculous things.

I'm a left-leaning libertarian, and completely support responsible and necessary government intervention - including social services for the truly needy, which is like a 4-letter word to most Republicans. I also support the government making & enforcing laws, provided they aren't interfering with personal liberties. For example, I think drugs need to be 100% legalized and the drinking age should be lowered, but fully support any restrictions on driving while intoxicated... I don't care what you put in your body, but the second you endanger somebody else we have a problem! Anyway, these are just my personal views for the most part, but I think they're in-line with general libertarianism.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 AM

17,392 posts, read 4,622,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Someone should tell Jeff Bezos, local libertarian, that libertarians are supposed to give money to charity.

"In a 2010 interview with PBS' Charlie Rose, Bezos expressed doubt that philanthropy was the best way to solve social problems. "I'm convinced that in many cases, for-profit models improve the world more than philanthropy models, if they can be made to work.""

Business & Technology | Amazon a virtual no-show in hometown philanthropy | Seattle Times Newspaper
Not all libertarians agree on all issues.....just like not all Dems and reps do not agree on all issues.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
lets break it down. liberals= disabled, old people, poor, minorities, women, ?....m
like George Soros, Al Gore, Michael Moore,....etc?

Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
libertarians believe in looking out for themselves, and whoever is left behind is just dead weight.
Liberals think charity is taking money from hard working tax payers and giving it to those that refuse to work. Libertarians believe charity is giving your own money to the needy.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 AM

11,107 posts, read 2,937,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Liberals think charity is taking money from hard working tax payers and giving it to those that refuse to work. Libertarians believe charity is giving your own money to the needy.
Exactly.

Quote:

Did you ever think of the concept of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and being accountable for one's own actions? A foreign concept for a lot of people in this country these days. It's always someone elses fault, isn't it? Yes there are people in this country who need our help, as you mentioned, elderly, disabled, mentally ill, those who have fallen on hard times, and ACTUALLY attempt to better themselves....ect... I'm willing to help those people ALL DAY! I'm a little less willing to help someone who sits on their a** all day with no incentive to find work and continues to suck off of the taxpayers. Yet has a smart phone, a plasma tv, a cupboard full of junkfood, and a brand new car. And again, before you say I'm ripping on those that are less fortunate keep in mind that I'm also not willing to keep bailing out big companies for making bad decisions either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies