Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

It is an interesting idea.
Certainly the postal service should be investing in alternative fueled vehicles as are UPS and FedEx.

In any event, maybe they will survive a bit longer:

Senate approves bill to help United States Postal Service - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You just cannot make this stuff up!

Tom Carper: Save the US Postal Service with Wind Farms, Battery-Powered Delivery Trucks - YouTube

When was the last time you saw a postal delivery person driving a 25-30 yr. old vehicle?
I guess Sen. Carper hasn't heard about the offshore wind farm that Senator Kennedy wouldn't allow in his back yard. I sure hope we don't have too many Senators who live too close to the shores he talked about.

Have the green weenies determined where we will dispose of those batteries, yet.

I think that this man showed his ignorance about anything outside Cap and Trade so he must be an Obama puppet.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
good grief.

how about just doubling the charge for junk mail.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:23 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
I just watched that.

Senator Carper is an idiot. deleware should be ashamed of sending that guy to washington.

geez.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why would anybody vote for this idiot to remain in office????

As the potential collapse of the United States Postal Service looms on the horizon, one Senate Democrat has proposed an unusual plan to solve the crisis.
Senator Tom Carper (D-DE) looks to harvest the electricity that windmill farms produce in order to power a new fleet of battery-operated postal delivery vehicles, replacing the previous '25 to 30 years old' 'dilapidated' vehicles.
The Senator admits the idea is “out there†but concludes that "we need to be thinking boldly, and the postal service needs to do that"

Senate Dem: Save the US Postal Service with Wind Farms - United States Postal Service - Fox Nation
I sure hope to see the USPS go down. My son suggested that would be good last night and I asked him how he would like to pay the $4 or $5 dollars that UPS and the others like them charge to deliver letters. He said how about doing everything on the computer. I don't think he has any idea about the coming loss of internet service for so many. Darn it, the government has us by the short hairs every way we turn, it seems.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
That sounds very much like the OP link. Is it the same?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Their revenue is dwindling b/c they're barred from making money on anything other than first-class mail. Remove the 10 year demand on funding their HC obligation, allow them to pursue other avenues to shore up their books, give them some leeway to make smart cost-cutting moves, and we'll be back to having a break-even corporation with a strong union and great service.
Anything to save the business for its union members, huh, Eddie. Unions are so important although they break businesses and cause price rises while they are at it.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Anything to save the business for its union members, huh, Eddie. Unions are so important although they break businesses and cause price rises while they are at it.
The USPS is a perfect example of how a unionized company can take good care of its employees, its executives, and its customers.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is an interesting idea.
It's really not anything new, it wasn't specifically for the post office vehicles but I've seen it proposed years ago. One of the big issues with the grid is you get big swings in the demand, with fossil fuel plants you can meet that demand as needed. You can't do that with renewable energy even if it were reliable which it isn't (the wind don't blow 24/7), you would need huge amounts of windmills and solar arrays to meet peak demand. the alternatives is a means to store that energy and if you had a 100 million cars with batteries that is one obvious place to do it.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I sure hope to see the USPS go down. My son suggested that would be good last night and I asked him how he would like to pay the $4 or $5 dollars that UPS and the others like them charge to deliver letters.
Those aren't first class mail since they are deemed urgent, there is no "when it gets there" service from UPS or Fedex as it would compete with USPS and is against the law. Fedex and UPS are required by law to charge a lot for their services that pertain to letters, no I'm not kidding. You may actually be paying more for a urgent letter than UPS or Fedex would charge since the minimum price they charge is set by the USPS.

Quote:
2-5 Private Carriage (39 CFR 310.1(e))

A letter may be carried out of the mails when the amount paid for the private carriage of the letter is at least six times the rate then currently charged for a 1-ounce single-piece First-Class Mail letter.
I'm not sure if this applies to UPS and Fedex but I recall another section that requires the carrier to pay thr post office whatever the postage was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies