Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Zimmerman did not shoot him for looking for suspicious ~ he shot Trayvon for attacking him! He took his gun in case he needed it, and it got used.

If I saw something in my culdesac that looked suspicious, I would not likely go into the car to follow ~ but I just might, depending on what was going on, to give cops a better lead on where that person disappeared to. And hell, yes, I would grab my gun first, I'd be stupid not to. Taking on surveillance in this manner means putting oneself in harm's way, and it'd be stupid to not take precautions.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************************
I do have to question WHY there are so many break-ins in a gated community.
We do not know this. There are no eyewitnesses to say who threw the first punch.

Imagine this scenario:

An older model car with a crappy paint job pulls up to a large house. A young couple gets out and rings the bell. They are both dressed in hoodies. No one answers. The woman walks over to the garage door keypad, takes her cell phone out of her pocket, holds it up to the keypad. She punches in a code. The door doesn't open. She does it again. Is this suspicious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We do not know this. There are no eyewitnesses to say who threw the first punch.

Imagine this scenario:

An older model car with a crappy paint job pulls up to a large house. A young couple gets out and rings the bell. They are both dressed in hoodies. No one answers. The woman walks over to the garage door keypad, takes her cell phone out of her pocket, holds it up to the keypad. She punches in a code. The door doesn't open. She does it again. Is this suspicious?

If they don't live there and the neighbors don't know them, then you bet it's suspicious. In my city there have already been robberies and would-be robberies that have followed scenarios similar to this.

Actually, there was a witness to the altercation, but I don't know if she saw who threw the first punch.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 04-27-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
If they don't live there and the neighbors don't know them, then you bet it's suspicious. In my city there have already been robberies and would-be robberies that have followed scenarios similar to this.

Actually, there was a witness to the altercation, but I don't know if she saw who threw the first punch.
I have described my daughter and her boyfriend at my house. Do you think they should be shot? I am very leery of trigger-happy wannabe police types wandering the streets with firearms.

NO ONE has stepped forward as an eyewitness to who threw the first punch.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
I have described my daughter and her boyfriend at my house. Do you think they should be shot? I am very leery of trigger-happy wannabe police types wandering the streets with firearms.

NO ONE has stepped forward as an eyewitness to who threw the first punch.
No. Absolutely not.

But if I didn't know them, I would watch them like a hawk (with or without hoodies). But only if they exited the house hurriedly would I call the cops. Another neighbor, and perhaps my husband, would have simply walked over to ask what they need. And we've all done this, so I know exactly how we'd each react.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
No. Absolutely not.

But if I didn't know them, I would watch them like a hawk (with or without hoodies). But only if they exited the house hurriedly would I call the cops. Another neighbor, and perhaps my husband, would have simply walked over to ask what they need. And we've all done this, so I know exactly how we'd each react.
As long as you weren't armed, there'd be no harm done. And that is my point. No one should go around patrolling their neighborhood with a loaded gun.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
As long as you weren't armed, there'd be no harm done. And that is my point. No one should go around patrolling their neighborhood with a loaded gun.
Says who you? He can do as the law allows. He was not charged with a gun crime.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If you think that's "public safety", to patrol a neighborhood with a gun, you've got another think coming. He was charged with killing Trayvon Martin. I don't remember the exact charge now. He used a gun.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:12 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,835,330 times
Quote:
I do have to question WHY there are so many break-ins in a gated community.
If there's no posted guard at the gate, anyone can get inside a gated community (through the front gate) in a few minutes, tops.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
If you think that's "public safety", to patrol a neighborhood with a gun, you've got another think coming. He was charged with killing Trayvon Martin. I don't remember the exact charge now. He used a gun.
It doesn't matter what I think or you for that matter. I only concern myself with the legality of his actions.

Simply carrying a gun while paroling his neighborhood is legal in the state of Florida as long as he has a CCW permit. In my state there is a good chance he would have faced a gun charge.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm really glad you dont live in Florida.
We are already overloaded with wannabes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies