U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM
 
155 posts, read 107,793 times
Reputation: 72

Advertisements

Red light cameras we need to keep the public safe (it is actually about money), speeding cameras to keep kids safe (it is once again about generating money), historic designation of properties without the property owner's permission giving local government(s) much control over it (a personal beef of mine). I could go on about the Defense Authorization Act and how it allows the President to hold someone without a trial or the Patriot Act and how both of these are unconstitutional. But here is another thing comming down the pipe.

Drones for urban warfare Drones for “urban warfare” - Salon.com

That is right. It would seem the drones used in wars are now going to be giving help to the local, state and federal governments right here at home to watch you and me. How much longer are some going to go on thinking that giving the government more of your tax money is a good idea, when all they do is expand into our lives little by little and erode our freedom and liberty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2012, 12:23 PM
 
3,349 posts, read 2,570,162 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
Red light cameras we need to keep the public safe (it is actually about money), speeding cameras to keep kids safe (it is once again about generating money), historic designation of properties without the property owner's permission giving local government(s) much control over it (a personal beef of mine). I could go on about the Defense Authorization Act and how it allows the President to hold someone without a trial or the Patriot Act and how both of these are unconstitutional. But here is another thing comming down the pipe.

Drones for urban warfare Drones for “urban warfare” - Salon.com

That is right. It would seem the drones used in wars are now going to be giving help to the local, state and federal governments right here at home to watch you and me. How much longer are some going to go on thinking that giving the government more of your tax money is a good idea, when all they do is expand into our lives little by little and erode our freedom and liberty?

It is ALWAYS about the money.... and when they say "it isn't about money".... it is ESPECIALLY about the money

Also control and more power for the government to control people in the name of safety... which is how they try and succeed in selling it to the people

Then they divert peoples attentions and divide them with phony wars on the rich, women, race etc. to gain more power

After all, a divided igorant populace (what we have now) is weaker than a unified informed populace (what we should strive for)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
9,601 posts, read 9,472,580 times
Reputation: 9211
I can agree with the prevailing sentiment of the thread, but not its title. The government isn't stupid... ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,637,927 times
Reputation: 47464
u could be right. but the people r not all stupid and the government is not all dumb. government is all out of money and is looking for new ways to get it. government dont wana be small they wana be big and need cash to do it. there are some smart americans but most dont listen to them. but then again we are accustomed to getting it all for free for the last 40 years and that has come to a sad end. our court system stinks. with a good lawyer u could blow up NYC and walk free so the gov has gotten sneaky about locking up trouble makers.
lots more of that to come.
u r going to see accountability for behavior go to a level never b4 seen unless u r 80. do u know what a fema detention center is? u will and soon. they always put them near a train station, that is bek lawyers dont like to travel with their clients when they are shuffled all over the county so they quit. prisoner movement is mandated bek of crowding. good plan huh?
china has a more direct method just throw all the lawyers in jail.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-26-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Plattsburgh NY
1,791 posts, read 1,516,297 times
Reputation: 2208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I can agree with the prevailing sentiment of the thread, but not its title. The government isn't stupid... ...
Very much agreed. Just greedy and devious.

Not all people are (stupid) either. Some are the same as the above.

Others are appreciative and honest.

The problem lies with the latter group being out-numbered. In both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM
 
155 posts, read 107,793 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Very much agreed. Just greedy and devious.

Not all people are (stupid) either. Some are the same as the above.

Others are appreciative and honest.

The problem lies with the latter group being out-numbered. In both places.
I should have rephrased it. I am not saying all people are stupid...but I just can not believe those that defend big government. I must admit that I was for raising the taxes on the rich and still might be AFTER government shrinks as to allow more freedom and liberty to the citizens and get the debt under control. All they do when they get more revenue is find another problem (like the one I mentioned) to spend more money to get more involved in our lives and I am sick of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
 
9,857 posts, read 6,772,513 times
Reputation: 3282
Those in the Government could be stupid like our President.
I think we deal with more an issue of them wanting the power over people, bloating the size to where taxes destroy the economy to sustain it and the politicians that do the damage leave and never answer for their damage.

Balanced budget amendment with all on the budget. Let the riots begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,350,619 times
Reputation: 17985
The way I view the Red light cameras is that people are always griping about traffic laws not being enforce and the death rate at intersections but when enforce what they really want is the law enforced on others only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
 
Location: TX
6,009 posts, read 4,967,766 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The way I view the Red light cameras is that people are always griping about traffic laws not being enforce and the death rate at intersections but when enforce what they really want is the law enforced on others only.
I object! Truth overload.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,238,691 times
Reputation: 9378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
Red light cameras we need to keep the public safe (it is actually about money), speeding cameras to keep kids safe (it is once again about generating money), historic designation of properties without the property owner's permission giving local government(s) much control over it (a personal beef of mine). I could go on about the Defense Authorization Act and how it allows the President to hold someone without a trial or the Patriot Act and how both of these are unconstitutional. But here is another thing comming down the pipe.

Drones for urban warfare Drones for “urban warfare” - Salon.com

That is right. It would seem the drones used in wars are now going to be giving help to the local, state and federal governments right here at home to watch you and me. How much longer are some going to go on thinking that giving the government more of your tax money is a good idea, when all they do is expand into our lives little by little and erode our freedom and liberty?
Liberals query us conservatives all the time asking "What freedoms are we losing? You guys always say we're losing our freedoms!!"

Dissention is patriotic. Liberals apparently never got that memo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top