Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
A 911 dispatcher will tell you to go to a safe room & let your wife get raped too. Regardless of his actions he was put in a situation to defend himself & he did. It makes no difference how he got there. A 17 year old young man died because he thought it better to run away & then attack than to act in a normal peacable manner. Trayvon seems to have been the one who took it from a verbal confrontation to a physical one and he paid the price.

No, he put himself in that situation. Zimmerman was not a cop, he was neighborhood watch. He called 911, that's the end of his responsibility. He should have let the cops handle it, (THAT'S THEIR JOB--NOT ZIMMERMAN'S) he didn't. He made a bad decision that led to a tragedy.

Saying that, I don't think he should have been charged with 2nd degree murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 AM

133 posts, read 192,449 times
Quote:
A 911 dispatcher will tell you to go to a safe room & let your wife get raped too. Regardless of his actions he was put in a situation to defend himself & he did. It makes no difference how he got there. A 17 year old young man died because he thought it better to run away & then attack than to act in a normal peacable manner. Trayvon seems to have been the one who took it from a verbal confrontation to a physical one and he paid the price.

So are you saying that you dont have to listen to the Police. No the 911 dispacther is not a Police officer , but when u "call the police" who do you call? 911. Listening to the dispatcher would have kept both of these guys lives whole and intact. Why do you believe Trayvon was savagely murderously beating him . Could it have been a fight that zimmerman was losing?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
No one knows who started the either a verbal or physical confrontation. The only person claiming it was Martin has a great motivation to lie, to keep himself out of prison. We all need to reserve judgement until this case goes to trial.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Thing is there is nothing to suggest that he knew Zimmerman even had a gun, let alone was preparing to shoot. Had he had his gun drawn chances are the young man, he WAS NOT a kid, would have stopped & acted much differently, as would you or anyone else. People dont attack other people who have guns pointed at them.

When is a 17 year old not a kid?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinaround1 View Post
Can a 17-year-old drink legally or vote?

No?

Are most 17-year-olds in school?

Yes?

Sounds like they're kids to me.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Can a 17-year-old drink legally or vote?

No?

Are most 17-year-olds in school?

Yes?

Sounds like they're kids to me.

Yea , how ridiculous to deny that he was a kid who got shot by a grown man who followed him .

Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
It is, quite frankly, astonishing how many people have chimed in on the various threads that seem not only okay, but happy with the fact that this unarmed kid, minding his own business, was accosted and killed for no reason at all. It's a sickening testament to the lack of humanity or decency in some people around here.

Is Zimmerman a racist? I don't know, and quite frankly don't care, because regardless of whether he is a racist or not, he is a murderer.
It is, quite frankly, astonishing how many people have chimed in on the various threads that seem not only okay, but happy with the fact that this man who is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, has been tried, convicted and determined to be a murderer in the court of public opinion by people who haven't the slightest inkling of the actual facts of the case. It's a sickening testament to the lack of humanity or decency in some people around here.

Murder, in case you weren't aware, has a specific definition. Maybe you should look it up before assigning it to someone who hasn't been convicted of it. While you're perusing that legal dictionary, you might also want to check on the definition of libel...

Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It is, quite frankly, astonishing how many people have chimed in on the various threads that seem not only okay, but happy with the fact that this man who is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, has been tried, convicted and determined to be a murderer in the court of public opinion by people who haven't the slightest inkling of the actual facts of the case. It's a sickening testament to the lack of humanity or decency in some people around here.

Murder, in case you weren't aware, has a specific definition. Maybe you should look it up before assigning it to someone who hasn't been convicted of it. While you're perusing that legal dictionary, you might also want to check on the definition of libel...
What about extending some of that "humanity and decency" to the parents and loved ones of Trayvon Martin? After all, he's dead, and the man who killed him - the man who killed him - is still living.

Do I believe that George Zimmerman deserves a fair trial, due process? Yes. But do I give a damn about him otherwise? Hell, no.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinaround1 View Post
The use of "kid" and "child" in this situation is disingenuous. It's just as disingenuous as when the media profiled TM as being a 13 year old with a Hollister shirt on.

If accuracy is the issue, then technically he's an adolescent. But the media won't use that because it doesn't sound as sexy in the story line. Hence why some are starting to see that there is some bias to this.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not so much anti-Zimmerman as I am pro-facts, and reasonable conclusions from facts.
That's not how your posts read.

Quote:
It is a fact that Zimmerman by all appearnaces was not seriously injured in the altercation.
So?

Speaking of facts, it's also a fact that he was injured - you even admitted it above. It also appears that you're not familiar with the laws surrounding the use of deadly force, or you wouldn't be so anti-Zimmerman.

Brush up on the laws pertaining to what took place, and your opinion of whether or not Zimmerman acted within the law (that opinion is very clear to those of us reading your posts, btw) will be challenged. How you use that new information will go a long way in determining how objective you actually are.

I wasn't there. I don't know what happened, or if Zimmerman acted legally. Based on what I've seen and read - including the actual text of Florida's 'stand your ground' law (have you even bothered to read it? ), it appears to be a clean shoot. I don't argue that position, though, because I don't have all the facts. When I do comment on the case, it's usually to try and keep people who have already convicted him in their own minds from spreading that cancer to others.

Quote:
It is a fact that Zimmerman killed Trayvon within one minute after the end of Trayvon's phone call to his girlfriend.
A minute is a very long time. Most altercations that result in shootings last for seconds, not minutes or hours. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply by saying what you did, but the fact that you did indicates that you're not familiar with anything having to do with carrying concealed, or with defensive situations in general. That's good for you, I suppose - it means that you've never been in a situation where you were forced to learn about that aspect of reality, but it also stunts your argument when you enter into discussions such as this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies