Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes. People were "productive" long before cell phones existed, and didn't feel the need to conduct business from their cars... I don't know how old you are, but I certainly remember those times! I also remember a time before email/internet, and businesses still managed to get their work done somehow.

P.S. Ever heard of a hands-free device? If you're so desperate to work from the car, you can always use one of those - or pull over for a minute to make that ever-so-important call.

Studies have shown that the hands-free devices do not make driving while celling any safer. The distraction lies not in the hands but in the brain, and hands-free doesn't change that in the slightest.
Hands-free cellphone use while driving won't make the roads safer, studies show. Why? Brain overload. - latimes.com

This btw exposes the disingenuousness of these bans. If it were about safety, it would be a total ban on celling while driving. But the real point is to collect fine revenue, so the bans are invariably limited to hand-held phones only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I agree 100% with a total cell phone ban while driving. 100%. People are dying. It is just as dangerous as DWI.
There is a NJ senator who pulled this absolute, total and complete BS of a line. I'll offer you the same challenge that I think someone should offer him. I'm going to drive you 60 miles from your house and another person will follow in a separate car. When we get 60 miles from your house I'm going to drink bottle of 151 and wait about 40 minutes. Then you choose who you drive home with; you can drive back with me, or the second person who will talk on his cell phone the entire ride back. Who are you driving with? Nobody is driving with me, nobody. That line complete, total, and utter BS and everyone knows it. If not, I dare you or anyone else who supports such nonsense to take that challenge. Maybe if you were texting the entire time and hardly ever looked up, then maybe it would be just as dangerous. But don't even think texting is the issue here, most people agree that the should be illegal.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I agree 100% with a total cell phone ban while driving. 100%. People are dying. It is just as dangerous as DWI.
That's exactly right. The reason it should be banned is because innocent people get hurt and/or killed because of some insecure person who thinks babbling is more important than attentive driving. There is no phone call so important that it can't wait 'til the person pulls over and stops.

If they want to kill themselves, fine, but don't take someone else with you.

I'm all about less government interference, but when we are surrounded by people too stupid to think for themselves and when innocent people are involved, it's time for a law. If people used their brains, we wouldn't need these kinds of laws, but everywhere you look, you see proof of how dumb people are.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
U.S. ban sought on cell phone use while driving - TODAY News - TODAY.com (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47197722/ns/us_news/ - broken link)

I am really not much of a cell phone user but every now and then I will answer a call while driving even though it is flat illegal in my state (WA). I've never found it to be dangerous. I have no problem keeping my focus driving while talking.

The biggest hazard I see on the roads are a) unsafe lane changes; b) slow drivers, which create an obstacle and constant stream of people trying to get around them, an obvious accident waiting to happen. Neither of which, of course are ever targeted by law enforcement.

This is all about rent-seeking, writing tickets, and grabbing cash. Yet another reason to give Pres. Obama the boot on Nov 6, 2012.
You must not read or watch the news, there have been more than a few fatal accidents from drivers using cells while driving.
Girl, 13, killed in school bus crash on U.S. 301 | Ocala.com
The driver of the semi that hit the bus in this link was on his cell.
My daughter had just gotten off that bus 2 stops prior to the accident.
What in the hell is sooooooo important that one cannot pull over and return the call?
Nothing, thats what.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That's exactly right. The reason it should be banned is because innocent people get hurt and/or killed because of some insecure person who thinks babbling is more important than attentive driving. There is no phone call so important that it can't wait 'til the person pulls over and stops.

I'm all about less government interference, but when we are surrounded by people too stupid to think for themselves and when innocent people are involved, it's time for a law. If people used their brains, we wouldn't need these kinds of laws, but everywhere you look, you see proof of how dumb people are.
Hell must have just frozen over, because I completely agree with your post.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 PM

415 posts, read 615,640 times
I am amazed that so many think that talking on a cell phone while driving is so safe. I have a friend who is DEAD now because some guy was arguing with his girlfriend on his cell phone and didn't see the light change and plowed into the car my friend was in. 21 years old and DEAD because of some idiot talking to his girlfriend on the phone!

My dad spent three days home from work a few years ago because some woman just HAD to talk to someone on the phone and caused a massive pileup that shut down I-15 northbound in Salt Lake City. My dad spent the day in the ER, was told not to work for two more days, and lost his car - it was totaled. For all the hype of productivity going up - what about my dad's employer who went without a master technician for three days? They lost productivity!

I knew a woman from church once who ended up wheelchair bound for life - she was leaving the church parking lot and was plowed into by a texting teenager.

How many people have to die or end up maimed or spend the day in the ER before cell phone use behind the wheel is banned? If I can't pull over or put the person on speakerphone, I don't bother to take the call. Period.

I don't buy the productivity line. Hardly a week goes by where some street isn't shut down because of an idiot on a cell phone who caused a wreck. I've been late too work too many times because of it!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

You nailed it!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You must not read or watch the news, there have been more than a few fatal accidents from drivers using cells while driving.
Girl, 13, killed in school bus crash on U.S. 301 | Ocala.com
The driver of the semi that hit the bus in this link was on his cell.
My daughter had just gotten off that bus 2 stops prior to the accident.
What in the hell is sooooooo important that one cannot pull over and return the call?
Nothing, thats what.
Just because a person is on a cell phone doesn't mean that the cell phone caused or contributed to the accident. There were plenty of accidents before cell phones. And as I pointed out before, pulling over to the side of the road and stopping is way more dangerous than talking on a cell phone.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Just because a person is on a cell phone doesn't mean that the cell phone caused or contributed to the accident. There were plenty of accidents before cell phones. And as I pointed out before, pulling over to the side of the road and stopping is way more dangerous than talking on a cell phone.
Oy vey.
The truck driver in the article I posted admitted he was talking on the phone and didnt see the bus.
As far as you pointing out that pulling over is just as dangerous, how about posting a reputable study that confirms that?
I'll wait.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post

Total BS............ If I ever get rear ended by some idiot texting behind me....{I see it ALL the time in my rearview mirror} I'm going to beat them to a pulp before the cops get there........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies