Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Better not let people with cars have kids!!!
'+windowtitle+'
Getting hit by a car is the third leading cause of death for kids 5- to 9-years-old, and kids up to age 15 make up a disproportionate number of pedestrian casualties worldwide
So...do you let your kids ride in the car without seat belts, or with a drunk driver? Do you let your 10 year old drive around town? The more appropriate comparison to these regs would be a restriction on hiring your 10 year old neighbor to drive your SUV around town to run errands for you. You are completely clueless...

The regs wouldn't have prevented kids from working on a farm--it would have put in place common sense safety regulations for kids who are hired hands. Your own kids could do anything you wanted them to do. We have safety equipment and restrictions on who can drive a car for a reason--as you pointed out, cars can be dangerous and people die in accidents. These types of very modest regs in agricuture would have been no different. Right now there are no regs at all--the equivalent of letting anyone drive a car without a license, no matter how young, or how drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Evidence that the Government listened to private citizens, and Obama still gets slammed for it.

Typical.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
The main uproar around here was replacing 4H and FFA with a 90 hour gov training. These programs are year round and deeply entrenched in rural communities and well supported by local gov and business. Ever been to a county fair 4H auction? the feds are not welcome cause they would just ruin it. again a solution looking for a problem by big brother.
If the kids weren't being paid wages to work for a farmer, how were they impacted by the regs with 4-H and FFA? What is this "government training" you're talking about? There was a lot of hysteria by some of the agribusiness groups that completely misrepresented what the regs did and did not do. I don't know how 4-H and FFA works out your way, but we have programs through school and extension where city and acreage kids can mentor with local farmers for 4-H, and it's all on a voluntary basis. They might have a bucket calf, etc. Why would a FFA or 4-H kid be driving a big tractor or working with an auger to begin with? The big equipment issue is what the regs were created to address.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, Repugs won the right to kill and maim children simply because they live on farms....and they LOVE it!

Remember , they don't want that pregnancy ended by abortion because it will prodce a worker/slave. They say that "baby" is LIFE! It's PRECIOUS! which translates to "We need slave labor"

Well, I think ALL parents should have the right to have their children, no matter what their age, go to work.

Afterall, children once worked 14 hour days in dangerous occupations...why worry about them now?

No 6 year old should be without a job running grain augers ...what else have they got to do???
Wow, I didn't realize only republicans could own farms. Kinda makes sense though. Farming is hard work. Wouldn't want those sissy liberal boys doing anything but drama and home economics. :double smack:

Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nice attack on someone's parenting skills. You do know, of course, that a farmer's OWN CHILDREN were exempt from the proposed regs?

Nope, not a chance, unless you think the OP is not attacking every parents, parenting skills.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Nope, not a chance, unless you think the OP is not attacking every parents, parenting skills.
No, I do not think the OP is attacking everyone's parenting skills. For one thing, children of the farmer would have been exempt. Parenting skills had nothing to do with it.

And yeah, we do have laws that tell parents what to do. Parents are required to feed, clothe and shelter their kids. Parents can't abuse their kids. Parents must educate their kids. And so on.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
A few things. This proposed regulation seemed to be "solving" a problem that's really not a problem. Thus, seemed more of a let's have a new regulation for regulation sake vice solving any pressing need.

Next thing that I saw that really bothered me was the removal of student farmer programs through 4-H, etc to be replaced with a government run program. Both my sister and I grew up doing 4-H and they do a fantastic job. It's really a great program and I think replacing that with a government run program would be a huge mistake and a lot more costly.

What's up with this administration always jumping to adding more regulations, even when not really needed?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 AM

812 posts, read 594,933 times
That these Maoist fools could even come up with such a plan speaks volumes about their nazi souls. I was hoping a few well meaning farmers might drop some dept of labor heads on the white house steps. Alas!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The bodies should already be piling up under the current laws. Where are they?
Just makes me laugh at some of these responces ! I would wonder just what the differance is between the number of children killed or mamed on a farm and those killed or mamed out side the farm ( city , rual but not a farm, random shotings , struck and killed while crossing street, Etc. ) ?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Read about it,yes it contained a 90 hour gov training program to replace the 4H and FFA programs. But the main outcry was to not let the feds get a foot in the door to begin with. We all know how tha turns out .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies