Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,789,212 times

Advertisements

4 US troops killed in separate Afghan incidents - CBS News

In the insider attack in southern Kandahar province, an Afghan soldier opened fire with a machine gun from atop a building, killing a U.S. soldier and an Afghan interpreter and wounding three other coalition service members before he was gunned down, a senior U.S. defense official said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release details

I read a book a long time ago. It was about Vietnam. It had pictures and war stories and stuff. One of the stories I read was this one guy, when given vietnamese soldiers to mix with his team, would head out in the jungle and promptly murder every one of them, and call them casualties of war. He simply said, "We didn't know who to trust, so we just killed them all."

War is hell.

Imagine if they showed pictures of dead soldiers, like the used to.
Afghanistan is barely news, these days.

Like this.
World War II: Classic Pictures From the Defining Conflict of the 20th Century by LIFE Magazine Photographers - LIFE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,332,102 times
What a waste of life. This is one more reason we need to get out of Afganistan as soon as we can. If the Taliban want Afganistan, let them have it. Keeping the populace in the 13th century, enslaving women and ensuring that girls can't get an education...not our problem. There is nothing and no one there worth the loss of the life of another American serviceman or woman.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-27-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,937,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What a waste of life. This is one more reason we need to get out of Afganistan as soon as we can. There is nothing and no one there worth the loss of the life of another American serviceman or woman.

You forgot about the opium fields.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM

25,894 posts, read 24,605,003 times
By and large Afghans do not support their president, they do not want Americans in their country, they consider them invaders and enemies. Afghan soldiers feel like traitors of their own people. Add to that the gross American misdemeanor... Americans are asking for it. It is a miracle that there are not many more incidents like that.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 AM

25,894 posts, read 24,605,003 times
Maybe the Afghanistan adventure will be over sooner than anticipated. I just read that French politician Hollande, who won the first round of the presidential elections in France last weekend, will announce that his country will withdraw its troops from Afghanistan much earlier than planned should he be elected the new president. Nato now fears a domino effect as most countries involved are just waiting for a reason to leave that mess behind.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,593,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What a waste of life. This is one more reason we need to get out of Afganistan as soon as we can. If the Taliban want Afganistan, let them have it. Keeping the populace in the 13th century, enslaving women and ensuring that girls can't get an education...not our problem. There is nothing and no one there worth the loss of the life of another American serviceman or woman.
If you looked into the faces of the Afghans who want to live a peaceful, sensible life -- as I do daily -- you'd probably feel differently. The Taliban do not represent the majority of Afghans. I realize many are war weary. I have spent my entire adult life fighting these wars. I'm not war weary. Neither are most of my comrades. This is a good fight, one I believe in.

I was a young man when I started this. Now I'm graying around the temples. I'm perfectly willing to keep this up until I'm completely gray. Afghans are good, earnest, humble people. We owe to them (and to ourselves) to finish what we started. Afghanistan is not Vietnam. It's also not Iraq. It's one of the best things we as a nation are doing right now. I was happy to read that we are committing ourselves to being invovled with this country until 2024. I will gladly do my part to make the dream of a stable Afghanistan a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies