Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Again you obviously know nothing about Christianity. You are taking examples out of the Old Testament, if you knew anything about Christianity you would know that Jesus came to rewrite the Old Testament, and he did.
Do you realize that the Book of Romans that momonkey was quoting from and I was responding to is from the New Testament? Jeez, even 12 years of having religion every day in school taught me that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM

180 posts, read 202,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Hmmmm, so there are inconsistencies in the Bible? Who would'a thunk it!

Go back and read my earlier post. You don't have an accurate view of the Bible. There are cultural laws; there are God's laws; there is physical death; there is spiritual death; I'm not trying to criticize you for your ignorance of the Bible, but don't try to muddy the issue by misquoting or misrepresenting the Bible. The real issue here as stated by the OP is the hypocrisy of someone who is allegedly an expert at anti-bullying giving a speech about bullying, and going off topic and using his authority as an adult and an expert speaker brought in bully a group of young people. Whatever the reason he had, it is wrong. I would say the same if a guest speaker on tolerance came in and started making fun of gays and bullying them. It's the SAME. It's bullying and he's a hypocrite.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Again you obviously know nothing about Christianity. You are taking examples out of the Old Testament, if you knew anything about Christianity you would know that Jesus came to rewrite the Old Testament, and he did.
He never came to rewrite it.

Matt 5:17-19
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

And Conservative Christians always cherry pick the Old Testament. It's funny how people like you cry "Jesus destroyed the law, we don't have to follow it!" and in the very next breath you pull Leviticus 18:20 out of context to demonize gay people.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerdavis View Post
Go back and read my earlier post. You don't have an accurate view of the Bible. There are cultural laws; there are God's laws; there is physical death; there is spiritual death; I'm not trying to criticize you for your ignorance of the Bible, but don't try to muddy the issue by misquoting or misrepresenting the Bible. The real issue here as stated by the OP is the hypocrisy of someone who is allegedly an expert at anti-bullying giving a speech about bullying, and going off topic and using his authority as an adult and an expert speaker brought in bully a group of young people. Whatever the reason he had, it is wrong. I would say the same if a guest speaker on tolerance came in and started making fun of gays and bullying them. It's the SAME. It's bullying and he's a hypocrite.
The whole point is that people interpret the Bible the way that they want to. The hypocrisy of Christians who are pro-death penalty is rooted in the ability of those Christians to make an effective argument that appears to make their hypocrisy non-hypocritical. People need to stop using their interpretations to judge, belittle, and alienate others. This was hardly the desired effect of the Good News, don't ya think?

And if you go back and read the OP's post, it was not simply about the speaker at the journalism conference. It was also about some secret, insidious agenda of anti-bullying campaigns to, at best, push a pro-gay agenda, at worst, to convert little Johnnie from his "normal" heterosexuality to the "abnormal" homosexuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
[b]
Are we getting a clear picture of what this national Faux "Anti-Bullying" program is really all about?
Oh, and let's not forget to throw in some book burning for good measure, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
BTW, if you think this is bad, you should see what is embedded in your children's innocent looking "literature" books in their public schools.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:57 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I agree with the bolded.

I'm not going to debate a "gay vs. Christian scenario" or even a "gay vs. conservative Christian scenario" because it is setting up a false dichotomy. I am also not going to debate special interest scenarios that have nothing to do with the thread topic.

The "real intent" of the It Gets Better Project is to have people who lived through bullying in their younger years, and survived it, to tell their stories to young people who are currently being bullied for their sexual orientation in order to show them that even though things feel desperate in this moment, that life can and does improve.

Not sure if you read this link upthread (quote from final paragraph): The Urban Legend : Savage speech shocks, inspires high school journalists at the NSPA convention
"Savage, who is a Catholic though he is often called anti-faith by his critics, said that he believes the reconciliation of religion and sexuality can be a powerful healing tool. Said Savage: 'For many LGBT kids, faith has to be part of the solution.'"

Can you (or anyone) explain to me how that last statement is anti-Christian or makes the It Gets Better Project an organization with anti-Christian intent?
LGBT: Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender. Now, are we saying that these people choose to be any/all of these categories? because for someone to be bisexual and transgender seems like an absolute choice here. The problem though is that it contradicts the popular answer that gays are born that way, and they have no choice. So, which one is it? If the LG people want to claim to be unwilling victims to this club then they should CHOOSE to disassociate themselves from the BT's. But, they must consider it better to all join forces since they are all a victimized minority.
As for savage, if he were really a Christian then he would be promoting a Christian message. A simple question... Is Tim Tebow a Christian? How do you know? Both Tebow and Savage have a huge platform to spread the word. Savage obviously has other priorities.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:01 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
LGBT: Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender. Now, are we saying that these people choose to be any/all of these categories? because for someone to be bisexual and transgender seems like an absolute choice here. The problem though is that it contradicts the popular answer that gays are born that way, and they have no choice. So, which one is it? If the LG people want to claim to be unwilling victims to this club then they should CHOOSE to disassociate themselves from the BT's. But, they must consider it better to all join forces since they are all a victimized minority.
I fail to see the logic in the part your argument I bolded and underlined.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Now, are we saying that these people choose to be any/all of these categories? because for someone to be bisexual and transgender seems like an absolute choice here.
How is it an absolute choice? Do you know the meaning of "choice"? Sexual orientation refers to attraction, not behavior. A bisexual made no choice in being attracted to both sexes. The only difference in their case, is they can choose whom to have a relationship with, since they have potentially double the available partners.

Transgender is not an orientation, btw. Gender Identity and Orientation are not the same.

Quote:
The problem though is that it contradicts the popular answer that gays are born that way, and they have no choice.
Gays have no choice in who they are attracted to.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses/Mocks Christian Teens at National Event

Staying on topic I don't how this guy is anything more than a Hypocrite, surely nobody thinks otherwise.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
As for savage, if he were really a Christian then he would be promoting a Christian message. A simple question... Is Tim Tebow a Christian? How do you know? Both Tebow and Savage have a huge platform to spread the word. Savage obviously has other priorities.
Quote:
If people want to be "real Christians," shouldn't they be out doing missionary work to evangelize to those who haven't accepted Christ into their hearts? Quit their jobs and live as Jesus did, spreading His word. If they don't do this, then they aren't really Christians.

See how that works?

Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
You seem to be moving the goal posts rather than answering my question of how Savage's quote about reconciling faith and sexuality being important for some LGBT youth is anti-Christian.

Let me answer it for you: that particular quote isn't anti-Christian. While I already acknowledged his comments during the journalism conference were poorly worded to make his point to a group of teens, it is disingenuous to refuse to acknowledge that he has in the past stated that faith can be an important part of the healing process for some LGBT youth. I realize that puts a crimp in the witch hunt, having to assimilate two seemingly different statements with respect to faith.

I truthfully couldn't tell you if Tim Tebow is a Christian (I don't follow football ), though I'm guessing "yes" is the right answer, since you brought it up in this context?

ETA: I didn't address the issue of sexual orientation, gender identity and choice as it was already well-answered in posts #266 and #267.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 04-29-2012 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies