Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,698,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Yes. Not just a belief. A knowledge.
Hmmm, interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 PM

19 posts, read 183,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The OP is being over the top for effect. No one but a few fringe folks hate Walmart. But Conservatives have this thing where they feel better if things they like are somehow hated by liberals....even if liberals don't really hate it. That's when they invent the hate so that they can boost their esteem. No one gives a damn about Walmart one way or the other. Most folks are completely dispassionate about them.

I just don't buy this idea that as a retailer, they offer something that i can't easily get elsewhere. That's a lie....a big ass lie in fact. I rarely go into Walmart and i don't miss it. It's not that i PURPOSELY avoid Walmart, but even though i know the average Conservative finds this hard to believe, one can actually go through life without shopping there very often.

Sorry for the cognitive dissonance for the wing-nuts.
Fringe groups? It seems like more and more of these so called "fringe groups" are popping up all over the place. They just stopped Walmart from building a store in my town Tehachapi, CA a few days ago over an in-adequate environmental impact report.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,698,435 times
Quote:
I don't hate them, but this illusion that they're somehow special among retailers is nonsense. They aren't....period, point blank. They don't have deals there that can't easily be found elsewhere. That's the simple truth.
"Hate" is a strong word.

I, personally, am just not a fan of Apple's or Wal-Mart's management style, and I think they go against everything America stood for.

However, as I do look at the impact to my pocket first when it comes to the economy, I do admit to shopping at WAl-Mart if I can find a reasonable deals there. However, if I had more diposable income, I most certainly wouldn't shop at Wal-Mart and support a business strategy I loathe.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,318,881 times
How many Americans do Wal-Mart and Apple employe? Apple, 35,000, Wal-Mart 1.2 million. Wal-Mart contributes far more to US, both in terms of employement and offering fair prices and thereby improving their customer's standard of living, since they get more for the same money. Apple makes overpriced toys, and prices their itunes services about 1/3 more than their competition. Not to mention utilizes a "closed" arcitecture on most of their products. I had one of the original Macs (a whole 128k of ram) back in '84, but haven't and wouldn't buy another product.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,026,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeyes37 View Post
Fringe groups? It seems like more and more of these so called "fringe groups" are popping up all over the place. They just stopped Walmart from building a store in my town Tehachapi, CA a few days ago over an in-adequate environmental impact report.
So. Then Walmart should take steps to comply with the environmental standards of the community. I'm supposed to cry on behalf of Wallyworld?

Tehachapi is a beautiful place, and they have a right to set stringent environmental standards. If Walmart can't or won't comply, then move on. That town has done pretty damn good up to now without them. Folks can just drive down the mountain if they need to shop there so badly. I mean damn...you need Walmart THAT BAD????

Geezus. Folks can't live without cheap Chinese made trinkets, or they'll start jumping out of 10 story buildings.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
So. Then Walmart should take steps to comply with the environmental standards of the community. I'm supposed to cry on behalf of Wallyworld?

Tehachapi is a beautiful place, and they have a right to set stringent environmental standards. If Walmart can't or won't comply, then move on. That town has done pretty damn good up to now without them. Folks can just drive down the mountain if they need to shop there so badly. I mean damn...you need Walmart THAT BAD????

Geezus. Folks can't live without cheap Chinese made trinkets, or they'll start jumping out of 10 story buildings.

They can find those same Chinese trinkets at the poorly stocked Kmart already. And the environmental impact report was already approved by the City planning commission and when it was appealed it was approved again by the City Council. Then when they weren't happy with that it was taken to court.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,197,758 times
So what do yall call Linux users?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,845,020 times
Where do these folks get their Dr. Thunder fix and tub of macaroni & cheese?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post

I'm not sure what Dr. Thunder is. I'm guessing it's a cheap knock off of Dr. Pepper. We get our macaroni and cheese from either of the two over priced grocery stores that we have. My vote is for Winco but they probably won't come up here.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,026,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
You're full of good zingers tonite.

Seriously though, i marvel at fat ass Americans whining about their inability to drive 4 minutes to Walmart so that they can buy cheap refrigerator magnets. I mean, Walmart is THAT important to these folks that they get in threads and fight tooth and nail with people as to how important they are? Geez. Believe me, Walmart will survive without opening another store in some community that really doesn't want them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies